Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine Broadband and Xbox live ...

Options
  • 16-01-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Howdy folks,
    I've been on xbox live for a couple of years, using eircom broadband and never had any issues. I've now switched to imagine and I'm having issues.

I'm still using the eircom netopia 3374 router. It has been changed to use my imagine user name and password. The settings on the xbox have been changed to use the same user name and password. So far so good.

The main problem is this.

When the PC is on and connected to the internet, and I then turn on the xbox and sign in to live, the internet connection to the PC is lost. However at times I can ping a web site, but I cannot browse the site.

The router has a static IP address and I have manually set the PC and xbox to 192.168.x.1 and 192.168.x.2.

If the xbox is left on automatic, it will take the IP address of the router. Both the PC and xbox are connected to the router via ethernet cables.

I have tried updating the NAT settings on the router, however in the drop down box the PC is the only device listed, the xbox is never here.

Been on to the imagine tech support but they're saying its a M$ issue.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Dawg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

UnderDawg2 wrote: »
    The settings on the xbox have been changed to use the same user name and password. So far so good.

What do you mean by that? You shouldn't need to enter a username and password anywhere on the xbox.. it plugs into your router and get's an internal IP from DHCP (or in your case a static ip).. that's it, there shouldn't be any usename/password..

It dosen't make sense that the xbox would take the routers ip..
    I don't have an eircom modem but see if you can find the DHCP or IP setup page.. there should be options to choose the range of ip's DHCP assign's. There should be a start ip and end ip.. make sure this range does not include that of the router (192.168.1.254 IIRC)

How do you have the static ip addresses setup? Do you have the router setup to always assign those ip's by mac address or did you just set the ip's in the windows control panel - network connections area?
    Try changing the ip's to something higher up the range, eg 192.168.1.10, etc. It's possible (but not likely) that using 192.168.1.1 could be causing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Redisle wrote: »
    What do you mean by that? You shouldn't need to enter a username and password anywhere on the xbox.. it plugs into your router and get's an internal IP from DHCP (or in your case a static ip).. that's it, there shouldn't be any usename/password..
    i presume he means the pppoe username and password to bypass the firewall on the router

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Damien360

guil07 wrote: »
    i presume he means the pppoe username and password to bypass the firewall on the router

He should'nt need to do this for xbox live. The 3347 routers have pre-installed NAT settings in the custom services that work quite well for the xbox. He just needs to enable them and let the router try to assign an address. You can still force an IP from the xbox to the router as long as it is in the range of your DHCP. That worked for me. I also manually entered the DNS servers on the xbox but that is probably overkill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It wont work on Imagine. They have people NATed off a proxy cluster and it is impossible to port forward the data back in through one of these .

As far as the world is concerned all of Imagines customers are on only 4 IP addresses .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Ok i've imagined it . . . Wha now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Damien360 wrote: »
    He should'nt need to do this for xbox live. The 3347 routers have pre-installed NAT settings in the custom services that work quite well for the xbox. He just needs to enable them and let the router try to assign an address. You can still force an IP from the xbox to the router as long as it is in the range of your DHCP. That worked for me. I also manually entered the DNS servers on the xbox but that is probably overkill.
    what bout ports that each game uses
    the pre installed nat settings is just the ports that xbox live uses and its just quicker than manually configurin them

Advertisement