Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski equipment

Options
  • 16-01-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

In a week i must go to ski ( mostly because i have to, it's something that gives me credits on sport university ) and i don't know exactly what to get. Excepting the sticks, skies and shoes ( the normal equipment that i will rent ) what do I need ?

A costum sky is good or I just can have some impermeable clothes ? The sun glasses are necessary or just an option ?

And give me some advices for a novice in sky. How should I do it to keep the balance and now crashing from first row.

Thanks in advance for any answer :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

You need layers of clothes - plenty of discussions here about it if you look around.
    For the actual skiing - if you've never been, enrol in classes for beginners, they'll teach you everything from how to put on the skis to stopping, turning & general control.

As I said - have a read through the threads here, loads of discussion and advice for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

You of course need lessons if you have never been before.

As said above have a look through the other threads for lots of good advice.

Sunglasses/goggles are essential - although please don’t start another which is best argument (sorry - debate)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

You definietly need proper clothes as it will be cold, and you will sweat so its a very important thing to have the correct gear.

1) ski/board trousers or salopettes, waterproof and warm, sometimes with vents for when it gets hot, and they have gators at the bottom of the legs to stop snow and wind going up your legs.

2) A thermal base layer. This is a skin tight, breathable layer that keeps you warm and wicks away sweat, so when it cools you won't freeze

3) A decent waterprooof outdoor jacket. Can be a proper ski jacket or just a good quality one.

4) Good waterproof gloves. As you are a beginner you will fall over and wet cold hands are not fun!!!

5) Sunglasses or goggles. The sun on a mountain reflecting off snow can be blinding! Very important to have!!

Other than that layers of t-shirts will usually be enough, and warm socks!! Sun cream is also essential and something to protect your lips!

Get lessons so you will learn correctly and quickly!

And lastly have fun!! That's what it is all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

you can indeed fumble through with just some good wet weather gear as long as its comfortable, but it is not a good idea. you are better off buying or renting a ski suit.

also, you will need ski socks and gloves, dont buy crap gloves.

you might also need sunblock, and chapstick. wrist guards or ankle supports, and an adjusting tool for your skis. if youve ever popped a binding half way down an off piste run you will praise god that one of you has a screwdriver

Advertisement