Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fusible link blown in car-how? Any ideas?

Options
  • 16-01-2009 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi - I have a 16 month Nissan Quashai that wouldn't start last Friday. When I initially switched on the engine, there was a noise and a jerk and then it wouldn't start anymore. A reputable breakdown service came and tried to get it going but no luck so I was towed to a Nissan garage. There I was finally told that the fusible link blew in the car caused by either incorrectly jumpstarting my car or another car. Both of which I know not to be the case.

Thankfully the cost wasn't huge - 180 (enough though for January:(). I'm annoyed that they couldn't believe that it could be caused by something else other than the above or that they couldn't explain what happened initially (which is when I think the fusible link blew - when I switched on the engine). Does anyone have any other explanation to what could have happened? Or ever hear of this issue before? I know it's not going to change anything - but it's a matter of principle. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Dodledi wrote: »
    Hi - I have a 16 month Nissan Quashai that wouldn't start last Friday. When I initially switched on the engine, there was a noise and a jerk and then it wouldn't start anymore. A reputable breakdown service came and tried to get it going but no luck so I was towed to a Nissan garage. There I was finally told that the fusible link blew in the car caused by either incorrectly jumpstarting my car or another car. Both of which I know not to be the case.

Thankfully the cost wasn't huge - 180 (enough though for January:(). I'm annoyed that they couldn't believe that it could be caused by something else other than the above or that they couldn't explain what happened initially (which is when I think the fusible link blew - when I switched on the engine). Does anyone have any other explanation to what could have happened? Or ever hear of this issue before? I know it's not going to change anything - but it's a matter of principle. Thanks in advance

The ONLY time I've ever seen this happen is when someone tried to jump start a car and got the polarity wrong when correcting the jump leads, and this is exactly why this fuse is placed into the circuit, so that the damage is limited to the blown fuse.

Another possible explanation, in the absence of any other plausible explanation, is that the particular piece of metal material that your fuse was manufactured from had a crack or a weakness in it, which could have caused it to blow under a lower current than would normally be the case.

Also, it is possible that the wrong capacity fuse was put in during assembly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dodledi

Thanks Darragh. It's good to know that I'm not going mad and that there are other possible explanations. It was jumpstarted by the breakdown rescue firm but from talking to people, they can't really get it wrong as they jumpstart it using that machine they have.

I should have added that it's a diesel so it takes a bit to engage it when you turn on the engine and that's when I thought the problem happened. It made a noise and jerked and I stopped it. I think the damage to the fuse happened at that point, but the garage just wouldn't listen to that.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Dodledi wrote: »
    Thanks Darragh. It's good to know that I'm not going mad and that there are other possible explanations. It was jumpstarted by the breakdown rescue firm but from talking to people, they can't really get it wrong as they jumpstart it using that machine they have.

I should have added that it's a diesel so it takes a bit to engage it when you turn on the engine and that's when I thought the problem happened. It made a noise and jerked and I stopped it. I think the damage to the fuse happened at that point, but the garage just wouldn't listen to that.

Thanks again

They can definitely get it wrong, don't believe urban myths like that!!! The current needed to blow this fuse is substantial, I'd say it was jump started incorrectly. I don't think the idiot proof jump start machine has been invented just yet!

Advertisement