Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do bookies payout so fast?

Options
  • 16-01-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

just curious, do bookies have writing recognition systems in order to pay out the customers? this has been confusing me for ages, how do they take bets and give money within minutes and never press anything on the computer... :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

They just scan the ticket. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Independent bookies and celtic use the Alphameric slip capture system.
    The staff scan the Docket and the image is saved on the computer and your copy is printed off.
    Generally when the race is on the staff enter in the details on the slip ie the stake, the horse, the price etc.
    The result is fed into the computer about 10 to 20 seconds after the race is finished and the computer settles the slips and when you hand in your winning docket the staff scan the barcode at the bottom of the slip and the amount to be paid out flashes up on the screen.
    I only know about this from experience.
    I assume EPOS is the same (the system PP and Laddies and spoilsports use)

It's that simple;)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭insomniak

thanks for the reply, i was just wondering do the bets have to be put into the system manually or is there another way, thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, there's no writing recognition or anything.. it's all manually inputted by the staff.
    Plus, as a side note the staff at the computers in the bookies do not have internet access so all the clicking away is them inputting bets, not checking emails or looking at bebo!

Advertisement