Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Services or International Entrepreneurship Management postgrad - UL

Options
  • 16-01-2009 1:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi can anyone give me any advice on the Financial Services postgrad or the International Entrepreneurship Management postgrad both in UL?

I know both are completely different but I have a real interest in both. I just don't know if either would be worthwile doing or what the job prospects are like are doing either. With the way jobs are at the moment it might be worth doing a postgrad and both only take a year.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I did the Financial Services course last year. i really enjoyed it.
    The entrepreneurial course is also interesting.

Maybe if you gave me a bit more detail about what you're looking for I can help. A bit about your background and what you're looking for?

Jobwise, there weren't that many who got a job after the course, but this is down to banks etc not hiring. It's the same with the MSc in DCU.

I really enjoyed the course, and learned a lot from it, but I entered as a mature student (25 at the time) and knew what I wanted from it.

I attended a presentation with the entreprenuer course, it is also interesting. Maybe worth doing to set up your own company?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭So Many Shoes

Hi Ixus, thanks a million for your reply!

I'm in final year business studies in UL and majoring in Accounting and Finance. I know accounting isn't for me, I don't think I can spend another 3 and a half years doing something I'm not mad about! I can't see myself as an accountant! I really like the finance aspect though and would like to get into a bank (If I got into a bank I would do the QFA). But none of the banks are doing graduate programmes or hiring this year! I hadn't really thought about doing a postgrad up until recently.

I would love to have my own business, but not sure if that postgrad would benefit me setting up a business. Or is that the whole point of the course?

I think doing the Financial Services one is going with my head and the entreprenuer course is going with my heart? That's putting it a bit too simply though..... If I got into the bank I think I'd set up my own business in a few years anyway. Is that answering my own question?!

Can I ask what are you doing now? Did that course improve your chances of getting that job? Is the course though? Are there exams at the end of the course or just your paper?

This link gives a decent description of the subjects in the course. I'll do a brief synopsis of my thoughts on it.

There are 4 subjects each semester, all with exams. Given your undergrad, most of the course shouldn't be too difficut.

Semester 1:
    International Corporate finance: James Ryan taking the course this year. One of the soundest and most intelligent guys you'll meet. From memory, the subject was based on how companies planned their finances around currency exposure, inflation risks and the likes.

Financial Information Analysis : This is the only bit of accounting you'll have to do. John Heneghan takes this and the focus is on understanding the accounts of major companies and making a buy/sell recommendation to investors i.e. research analyst role. I liked this subject and the way it was taught.

Banking & Portfolio Management : This covers portfolio theory, you look at things as though you were the manager of an investment fund. James ryan takes this subject. Very interesting.

Derivative Instruments: Run by Finbarr Murphy. This is an introductionto options, futures etc Something you may have come across in your undergrad. A bit technical on the maths side of things, but nothing to be afraid of.

Semester 2:
    Taxation: elaine Doyle, I found this subject awful boring and really took nothing from it. But then, very few people like tax.

Integrated Risk management : John garvey took this subject. I don't remember much about his teaching. It is an interesting area though. You'll learn about political risk, insurance risk etc.

Financial engineering: This is a follow on from Sem 1 derivatives. Gets technical on things like bonds and the types of options there are. You use a trading simulator to learn how to trade and hedge positions. run by finbarr Murphy

International Monetary economics: This was probably my favourite subject taught by Stephen Kinsella. Really is interesting an topical given what's going on in the world today.

The course ran 3 days a week last year. Class was on Monday, Tuesday and Friday (until 2 I think). You had Wednesday and thursday to do assignments or study. Some people used this to work part time. The idea of the course is that if you work 9-5 during the week, you should be sorted coming up to exams. I rarely did work over the weekends, the odd assignment here and there. You also do a thesis over the Summer.

IMHO it is a good course, but you have to know what you want from it to get the most out of it if you get me? Some people did an MSc for the sake of saying "i have a masters". That would be a waste. These people are struggling to get jobs, because there are so few jobs out there at the moment. I wanted to be a trader, and the course has helped me achieve that.

With regards working in a bank, I'd be sceptical about doing that. IMHO, it offers nothing exciting. go and learn more about the banking sector i.e. corporate finance, wealth management, currency desks, risk analysts etc.

Also, go to the new trading simulator rooms inthe Kemmy Business school and speak to Anthony, the guy who looks after that room. He did the course with me, he gives tutorials and could give you another insight into things. He's very approachable.

On the other course, I'd seriously consider this. It's something different from the norm, a bit of hard work, but will give youo a real flavour for setting up your own business. And you'll already have a degree in finance in 6 months. There are lots of people out there with these qualifiactions struggling to get jobs. think about separating yourself from the norm.

Happy to answer anymore questions.

Ixus you have been more than helpful, thank you very much!

Ok when I say getting into the bank, I think I do mean corporate finance and wealth management, not cashier etc. Trading would be really interesting, I suppose I don't really think of that too much because we haven't really covered it that much, yet anyway. Is that really tough to get a job in too at the moment? Are you working in Dublin?

The course seems very good but like you say I will have my degree in the same kind of subjects, obviously the masters is more intense though. Are the exams tough?

I think at the moment it is a case of just doing a masters instead of going on the dole! I always thought I might go back in a few years and do one but I may aswel do it now when jobs are quiet.

I understand what you're saying about the other course, it would be different and I would still have the finance-y degree behind me. I suppose I really just have to try and make up my mind on what I want to achieve from either course and what type of job I want after....easier said than done!

Thanks again.

Trading is probably the toughest job to get into of all finance jobs. Search the investment or work forum for advice. There are a few place in Dublin. I'm based in this area.

The exams are no tougher than your finals. You learn stuff, you do an exam for it. You can get by with minimal work if that's what you want to do. You can get great results if you work.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I have looked up jobs, but like you said it is tough to get a job and probably even tougher now! If I got into this area I would move to London tough.

I just really have to make up my mind. I know someone who did the other course a few years ago so I might contact them and get their opinion on the course. I just wanted to get some personal views on both courses.

Thanks again Ixus!

Mods sorry for bumping this up again but I'm just really looking for people who have done the International Entrepreneurship Management postgrad in UL, I would love to get some opinions on this masters.

If anyone has done this course, did it open any career paths for you? Would you recommend the course?

Any advice would be great, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bellies

Hi So Many SHoes,

I have completed this masters last year and found it very practical in terms of business sense. Obviously there are some subjects that leave alot to be desired but all in all it was good. Having completed this course I've decided to venture out on my own and realised that many of the course material that I have learned has come in very handy for me. ( Not a multi- million euro firm by any means!!!)

Alot of the guys in the house I lived with studied the MBs in Finance and said it was tough but good. However, there is one excellent module taught by Dr. Michelle O'Dwyer and is in SME consultancy work. Basically, it's working on behalf of a SME and helping them to grow their business to the next level. Having done well in this has opened up two side line money spinners for me but nothing serious!

But I'd only do this if you have an interest in working for yourself, because I personally think that entrepreneurship cannot be taught!?

I think that the flare and ambition must come from within and the course content will complement your characteristics i.e Hard Work ethic, determination, Independence, aswell as Innovative etc.

Any other questions feel free to PM me.
    HR one is highly recommended in UL.

Thanks so much for the reply Bellies!

Ya I would really like to set up my own business, I've always dreamt about it. I always have so many ideas in my head but I suppose I just didn't think of setting up a business straight away (after the masters) because of being young but why not! Do you think that this masters "encouraged" you to set up your own business, do you think if you hadn't done it would you have set it up anyway?

Ah it will be multi- million euro firm in a few years don't worry!!

Ya I heard it's meant to be hard, like I know masters are harder in general compared to degrees but I was talking to some people who said that they found it difficult and stressful enough.

Michelle O'Dwyer was my FYP supervisor, she is a lovely woman, really really helpful, it's her that put this masters in my mind. I think I would really like that module and would probably get into that type of work after the masters.

How many hours a week did you have? Did you have a part time job during the year or would you have to be studying/doing projects a lot?

Thanks a million for the advice!

Well if you're interested in setting up a business go for it!!

Alot of the material as I say is very practical. i.e Sources of finance, financial accounting in relation to an SME, New Business Ventures, and most importantly Human Resource Management for an SME. (as well as 9 other modules).

I didn't expect to be running this little operation straight away from college but it's a natural progression. Having studied the course and did quite well in the masters will really stand to you and provide you with that extra bit of confidence as you can spot the pitfalls that lie ahead in business.

Secondly, I had roughly 18hours a week, but alot of this spare time was spent on reading Journal Articles, completing assognments, doing market research etc.... And the trying to write a Lit. review for the thesis. Dont worry about that till May after the exams.

I didnt have apart-time job as I had my hands full with studying and playing sport. But there was a few others in the class who worked weekends.

If your willing to work hard you'll do well in it.

Any other questions feel free to ask, or even PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Femputer

Any advice for the 'reasons you are applying for this course' section of the application form for the MBS in IEM? Finding it hard to articulate why it appeals to me

Is the majority of the focus of the MBS IEM on international topics i.e. does the course also give you a good grounding in relation to Ireland-only-based start ups?
    Thanks for any replies - course information is quite vague

The majority of the modules/ course content is based on start-ups in Ireland.

It is a good course, I'd email the course director if I was you. In fairness, she is very helpful and is extremely efficient!

It's an excellent stepping stone from a degree to a masters.

"Reasons for applying for this Masters"
    > This is a load of sh1te to be honest.

The min. requirement was a 2.1 when I applied, the numbers were so low that they actually dropped the requirements to a 2.2 H.

When answering this question explain that you are a very determined person who is extremely interested in the business world, by completing this Master in IEM, will provide me with a greater understanding of the dynamics of business and be of great benefit to me as I do aspire to establish my own venture in the near future.

Also, state that the course content is very relevant and should provide you with an advanced understanding of the possible pitfalls that many aspiring entrepreneurs fall into.

That any good???

Hi Femputer, I put an answer down similar to what Bellies advised, I only handed in my application yesterday evening, but I presume that's what they are looking for! Like I would say how interested in business you are and that you would like to set up your own business in the future (if that's what you want!)

Anyway good luck with it, I might see you in September!

Thanks a million for all the advice Bellies, I might PM you sometime, if that's ok, if I have any more questions!

Thanks for the great reply Bellies. I'm currently trying to cut down what I've written :) Sounds like you enjoyed the course anyway

Advertisement