Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The threat to Tara and the collapse of the Irish economy

Options
  • 16-01-2009 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

Do any of the pagans on this board believe that the collapse of the economy and the threat to tara are related?

Has Aillen Mac Midhna come back to Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Who is Aillen Mac Midhna?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

He is the God/fairy that Finn McCool killed he used to burn Tara every halloween.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Do any of the pagans on this board believe that the collapse of the economy and the threat to tara are related?

Has Aillen Mac Midhna come back to Ireland?

Not even the white christ can stop progress. It would be easier for a local spirit to break machinery or injure workers... (so no, to answer your question ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Last I heard the Pagans up there were more worried about some a sacred fire they had lit going out than anything else. It reminded me of lord of the flies or a scene from the life of Brian.
    Unfortunately their input to the campaign did little except create a divide within the campaign and loss of integrity regarding public opinion. No offense to anyone's spiritual beliefs, but that's just the way I see it. I'm looking from the sidelines here.

The only hope for the campaign now is Ferovial to go out of business or the World Heritage to insist the road is moved before granting Tara heritage status. Like they did with stone-henge. There's is also talk of a constitutional right to culture which the destruction of the sites may be of issue.

On the whole I'd have agree with Dyflin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

So a localised issue is causing the global economic crisis? Interesting take. If this was exclusive to Ireland then I could understand how people would see it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Yes. The economic collapse has been caused by global factors but also by the distinctly sandy foundations of the economic boom (i.e. property). Like most public works and motorways in Ireland, the M3 was built in order to inflate land prices in the vicinity of its route.

The enormous expenditure on such expensive means of transport has partially caused the budget deficit that we are suffering from.

From Michael Hardings weekly feature in the Irish Times today.
    We didn’t feel bad. In those days we considered that even a cat who moved from Leitrim to the Midlands was going up in the world.

I was in Leitrim last week, talking to a long-haired artist, who told me, through a haze of marijuana smoke that Ireland’s present misfortunes were due to the decision to put a road through Tara.

“That’s when all this trouble began,” he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I see nothing in your above quote to say that that person is pagan.
    And even if they were pagan is an umberella term and you get christains with differing
    and odd opinions.

No, I just read the paper and thought of this thread. I've already made it clear that I thought certain parties turned aspects of the campaign into a joke. Neither pointed out of course that there's already a road there!

Advertisement