Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence Final Notice question.

Options
  • 16-01-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have received my Final notice in the post today about renewing my TV licence, so I dug it out and low and behold, it's not valid for a year.

Date issued - 29th January 2008
    Expire date - 31st December 2008

I though it was a valid 1 year licence, not 11 month licence?

What's the dealio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

It is valid for 12 months. January was the first, December was the 12th.

If you had purchased the licence on February 1st, then it would not have expired til the end of January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

It runs from when ever it was supposed to be renewed as far as I know, so if you were late getting it , it would still only run from when you were supposed to renew it.Fairly sure the same thing happened to me a few years ago, although that might have been with the tax on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Meatwad wrote: »
    It runs from when ever it was supposed to be renewed as far as I know, so if you were late getting it , it would still only run from when you were supposed to renew it.Fairly sure the same thing happened to me a few years ago, although that might have been with the tax on the car.

No, you're correct - I was about a week behind renewing mine last year and when you get the new one, it is from whatever date it should have been renewed, not the date you actually renewed it. So you could fall a month behind or longer I imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Only one problem, it is the first time I ever bought a tv licence, it was my first one, so i never had a renewal date.

Then I'd call up the TV Licence office and ask them WTF the story is... It should be exactly a year when first issued - only renewals are affected by the offset if you delay to renew it...

• Advertisement

I rang the broadcast commission, and they say that it effects all first time licence holders, they all get 11 month licence. He made up some crap about why, but I need a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Throw out the TV set and watch television on a computer - no licence required then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Nolanger wrote: »
    Throw out the TV set and watch television on a computer - no licence required then.

Wrong. They just can't detect it as easily.

..and should i throw my dish away too :(

Any device capable of receiving a TV broadcast requires a TV license - that includes TV tuners on PCs...

And OP, granted I've had my license for years, but it has always been 12 months - renews around mid-March each year for me... I could be wrong though but the 11 month thing sounds like a BS excuse...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

By Andrew Phelan

Monday October 20 2008

THE full range of Irish television channels will be available to computer users without a TV licence for years, despite moves to close a loophole in the law.

It has emerged that PC viewers will not have to buy a licence for watching identical live broadcasts for up to 10 years.

And new technology means the service is potentially available to 500,000 viewers.

This comes as the first broadband firm has offered RTE1, RTE2, TG4 and TV3 free to its subscribers.

While the firm, Magnet Entertainment, advises PC TV viewers to get a licence, they are not legally obliged if they do not also own a conventional TV.

New legislation currently before the Dail will change the definition of what a television is, to catch up with the technology.

However, the Department of Communications has confirmed that it will not make PC users get TV licences for "five to 10 years". This is intended to encourage innovation in the sector and because the department considers PC TV a small niche market.

RTE has said the niche is too small for the national broadcaster to worry about loss of revenue.

revenue

But a spokesman warned RTE would mount a challenge if the numbers watching on PCs got big enough.

Magnet became the first broadband TV operator in recent weeks, allowing subscribers get the Irish channels, as well as Bubble Hits and radio stations, with special software termed a "virtual set top box".

CEO Mark Kellett said response had been positive so far and he feels the potential market is huge.

"We are not advocating that people avoid paying their TV licence," he said. "I do feel it is in RTE's own interest to have companies like Magnet be successful".

An RTE spokesman pointed out that few homes had a PC but no television set. "For the vast majority of homes, a TV set is what people want. Those who would be satisfied to just watch on their PCs would be a tiny fraction.

"Up to now, it hasn't been an issue, but if services like Magnet are taken up by significant numbers of people, and there was a significant loss of revenue, we would have to challenge it."

A Department of Communications spokesperson said the new Broadcasting Bill will expand the definition of receiving equipment that will need a TV licence.

- Andrew Phelan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The first licence runs from the 1st of the month of issue regardless of when in the month it is purchased. So if you had bought your licence on the 1st of the month you would get the benefit of the full year.

You purchased it on the 29th and so you lost out on almost all of the first month.

THE full range of Irish television channels will be available to computer users without a TV licence for years, despite moves to close a loophole in the law.

Well I stand corrected then... I've heard the TV tuner thing requiring a license from different sources before but how would a "traditional" PC TV tuner be any different from the equipment Magnet provides its' customers? Or does it have something to do with the delivery medium of the broadcast? Probably RTE wants us all to believe we need a license for everything... Unfortunately, I have a "real" TV so I'm stuck anyway...

Advertisement