Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soapland weddings

Options
  • 15-01-2009 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Watching the wedding of Molly and Tyrone the other night and as usual there was the last minute drama and the whole 'will the wedding go ahead?' moment. In this case, Tyrone getting arrested and handcuffed in a bar - as you do on the morning of your wedding :rolleyes:

Anyway, it just got me thinking that every single wedding in soapland follows this pattern. Something drastic always happens which either causes the wedding to be stopped or almost stopped but saved just in time. I know the writers are presumably trying to create some drama or whatever but it's come to the stage now where when there's a wedding coming up you just know somehting is going to go wrong - it's so predictable! For once I would like to see a problem free wedding, I don't think it would make it any less enjoyable to watch - what do others think?

Here's a few dramatic weddings I can think of off the top of my head:

Corrie:
    Dev & Sunita - Sunita gets arrested for bigamy.
    Steve & Karen - Tracey bursts into the church announcing that Steve's is the father of her daughter Amy
    Maria & Liam - Maria suspects Liam was having an affair with Carla and has second thoughts (she wasn't far off in fairness!)
    Carla & Tony - drunken Sally shows Maria the video of Liam and Carla kissing.
    Vernon & Liz - Liz has second thoughts and almost doesn't go to the ceremony
    Sarah Louise & Jason: David ruins everything by driving into the canal on purpose!

Eastenders:
    Dawn & Jase (or whatever his name was): groom is killed night before the wedding.
    Ian & Melanie: Melanie finds out that Ian lied about Lucy having a terminal illness so that Melanie would stay. Melanie walks off still in her wedding dress.
    Kat & Andy: Alfie rushes in mid ceremony to stop the wedding
    Kevin & Denise: Can't remember exactly but Shirley did try to stop it.
    Phil & Stella: Ben tells all about Stella's abuse and she ends up throwing herself off a roof

Emmerdale:
    Jimmy & Whatshername: Jimmy finds out she had abortion without telling him

Does anyone have any other dramatic wedding moments? Or better still can anyone think of a wedding that went smoothly????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Glenroe:

Miley and Biddy: Miley turns up and so does biddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Dot & Jims wedding went ok didn't it? I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Oh yeah - well done!

Although as I recall the only problem was Dot didn't want to do the wild thing with Jim on their wedding night (can't say I blame her really!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Tupins wrote: »
    Oh yeah - well done!

Although as I recall the only problem was Dot didn't want to do the wild thing with Jim on their wedding night (can't say I blame her really!!)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

H&A

Shane and Angel - she was able to walk up the aisle after being in a wheelchair

Ah yes the old miraculous curing of spinal injuries through sheer determination to walk up the aisle.....

....brings a tear to the eye....sniff......

Just thought of another one:

Can't remember exactly but in Eastenders when Sharon was marrying her brother Dennis (as you do) something happened which caused her to faint. Conveniently enough he was standing right behind her at the time so she quite dramatically fell into his arms. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Ah yes the old miraculous curing of spinal injuries through sheer determination to walk up the aisle.....

....brings a tear to the eye....sniff......

Just thought of another one:

Can't remember exactly but in Eastenders when Sharon was marrying her brother Dennis (as you do) something happened which caused her to faint. Conveniently enough he was standing right behind her at the time so she quite dramatically fell into his arms. :rolleyes:

Oh yes i think Dirty Den's body was found after Sam went nuts

But was it really his body?......

Oh hang on, that's already been done :rolleyes:

So looks like Becky and Steve are next.

What could possibly go wrong???????? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Eddie_1980

Fair City:

Gina is killed and Ray goes into a coma. Annette is pissed drunk and causes dramatic scenes in the church and Barry is still over the limit from the night before.

Classic example Friday night - Becky and Steve's wedding.

I have to say though the whole episode was crap. Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Classic example Friday night - Becky and Steve's wedding.

I have to say though the whole episode was crap. Very disappointing.

Very disappointed too and you can normally depend on corrie for great wedding drama.

Of the top of my head i remember lots of disasters in neighbours ie. Toadie's wife Dee dying hours after the wedding after driving into the see and wasn't there mice let loose at someones reception in neighbours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Home and away:
    Jack and Martha getting married in the hospital, just after the vows have been said she collapes and loses her baby. Which was Romans:p
    then a few weeks later Jack gets shot and dies. ah home and away....

Advertisement