Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twenty Week Scan

Options
  • 15-01-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

So we had our twenty week scan last week. I can't believe how much baby had grown!! It seems like only yesterday it was so teeny tiny there was issues about picking up heart beats, now it has legs and arms and everything... even ribs :eek:

She did the measurements and stuff and everything is fine and she even told us she thinks its a boy :eek: But she couldn't tell for sure because he was so modest and discreet he wouldn't reveal himself so she could be certain. I'm so glad he's taking after his mum :D

Isn't it amazing when you think of back to when you took that first pregnancy test and all it was was a line on a pee stick, now it's a proper little baby :D

oh yes, I also wanted to ask...when do you start looking at creches and stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Imagine in 20 weeks you'll have a baby!!

I still can't believe it sometimes... that I have a baby... she's so great haha.

Make sure you keep the scan pics up so you can put them in a little keepsake box or book. I have her three scans, her hospital bracelet and her umbilical cord clamp!!

I'm not looking at chreches but thats because I have a child minder sorted... if not I'll have to start looking soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Imagine in 20 weeks you'll have a baby!!

I still can't believe it sometimes... that I have a baby... she's so great haha.

Make sure you keep the scan pics up so you can put them in a little keepsake box or book. I have her three scans, her hospital bracelet and her umbilical cord clamp!!

I'm not looking at chreches but thats because I have a child minder sorted... if not I'll have to start looking soon!!

haahaa Adrieanne how are you getting on with your little lady? How many weeks is she now?

yeah I have a few piccies from the scan now...some of them are a bit freaky looking, but there's ones of his two little feet that would just melt your heart lol

I was reading all about the umbilical cord last night and how they clamp it and stuff....is it gross? I'm not looking forward to that one...or to the first black bowel movement all the books are warning me about :o:D

She's getting on great, she's five weeks old tomorrow!! Feeding great and starting to sleep through the night now (slept from 12-7 last night :D). She's getting so big now...

I didn't see em clamp the umbilical cord unfortunatly!! But it is weird looking... I thought it hurt her untill one of the nurses pointed out that it was dead (duh... no blood flow...) and when it fell off I nearly started crying I was like "OMG OMG YOU HAVE A BELLY BUTTON..." (I know... I'm a weirdo...). The first bowel movement is disgusting... really disgusting... it gets everywhere... and it doesn't help if you can't move off the bed to change them in their little butter tub (thats what their little beds in the hospitals looked like to me!), so I had to change her on the bed and it got everywhere!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Gross gross gross gross gross. Having never changed a nappy, this might not be the best introduction :( Nice nursey help please! ;)

The nurses will help you Grawns!! She had to show my boyfriend how to change the nappy!

• Advertisement

My husband is always nearly vomiting when he cleans the dog poop ( and that's with a shovel). Big dramatic gagging noises. I must not laugh :D

She's getting on great, she's five weeks old tomorrow!! Feeding great and starting to sleep through the night now (slept from 12-7 last night :D). She's getting so big now...

I didn't see em clamp the umbilical cord unfortunatly!! But it is weird looking... I thought it hurt her untill one of the nurses pointed out that it was dead (duh... no blood flow...) and when it fell off I nearly started crying I was like "OMG OMG YOU HAVE A BELLY BUTTON..." (I know... I'm a weirdo...). The first bowel movement is disgusting... really disgusting... it gets everywhere... and it doesn't help if you can't move off the bed to change them in their little butter tub (thats what their little beds in the hospitals looked like to me!), so I had to change her on the bed and it got everywhere!!!

oh god yeah that's what I'm dreading all right lol....I'll be bad enough trying to cope with a newborn with others in the ward wondering what the hell is she trying to do with out a whole mess going everywhere lol

re the umbilical cord I think I'd be crying with relief that it's gone lol

Grawns wrote: »
    Gross gross gross gross gross. Having never changed a nappy, this might not be the best introduction :( Nice nursey help please! ;)

haaahaaa I take it this is your first child too? :D

The don't show you that on the pampers add lol

haaahaaa I take it this is your first child too? :D

The don't show you that on the pampers add lol

Yep - first child and am clueless and beginning to realize that there will be another little person totally dependent on me in less than 3 weeks :eek:

Grawns wrote: »
    Yep - first child and am clueless and beginning to realize that there will be another little person totally dependent on me in less than 3 weeks :eek:

Yeah, that's the scary bit...I don't know about you, but I haven't a clue about babies..I'm talking about how to dress them, how to put them into a cot, how to lift them lol, if it was born aged 6 months that'd be different, but a teeny tiny newborn, I haven't got a clue about :o

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's the scary bit...I don't know about you, but I haven't a clue about babies..I'm talking about how to dress them, how to put them into a cot, how to lift them lol, if it was born aged 6 months that'd be different, but a teeny tiny newborn, I haven't got a clue about :o

Haven't a clue no matter what the age! Always found other peoples children boring too. Go away and play now please. :P

Am treating the experience like getting a puppy that slowly learns to talk. How cool is that going to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I never had that first awful nappy full of meconium to tackle - she "obliged" and passed her first bowel movement whilst still in utero.

She looked like a little zebra when she came out, all striped with sticky meconium :)

embee wrote: »
    I never had that first awful nappy full of meconium to tackle - she "obliged" and passed her first bowel movement whilst still in utero.

She looked like a little zebra when she came out, all striped with sticky meconium :)

Sounds great in theory!!

Addison's first poo was dealt with by the nurses thank god, but she had another two or three meconium poo's before we settled in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Sounds great in theory!!

Addison's first poo was dealt with by the nurses thank god, but she had another two or three meconium poo's before we settled in!!

Aye, in theory its great... can cause endless problems though if they aspirate some of the meconium during the birthing process :s Can happen a lot when baby is distressed or, in my case, overdue by many, many days (felt like I was a month overdue!)

Rhiannon didn't poo until after we'd been discharged from hospital, she was so cleaned out (meconium wise) and had problems with feeding that it was the day after discharge that she finally poo'ed.

Let me tell you, she made up for lost time. It just kept coming and coming. I had her lying down on the bed with a nappy under her and was staring at her in amazement, a tiny person poo'ing for Ireland!! Best bit is the face of concentration they get when they're filling they're nappies - serious business!!!

haahaa I shouldn't have come back in here before dinner time should I lol.

There's sooooooo much to look forward to...Roll on May :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Had my 20 week scan today, little one was very bashful but they think we are having a girl. Was amazed at the details we could see, ribs, spine and her beautiful face, i'm sure she waved at us aswell :P

yeah the detail is incredible isn't it....the little bones and everything...it's amazing the difference between the first scan and the second even though only a few weeks passed between the two!

Congratulations on your modest little girl!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 little ol me

Just wondering if you went private for your 20 week scans, or does the number of scans depend on the hospital you're with?

I'm going public and won't have another scan until 34 weeks (and that's just because I had a low lying placenta at my first scan at 17 weeks). I think an anomaly scan will put my mind at rest in the meantime....

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

You only get one scan normally when you go public unless there is a high risk.
    I am public in Holles St and had my 20 week scan nearly 2 weeks ago, I have another on 11th feb but the only reason I am getting it is because the baby's measurements were a bit on the small size for the dates, so they want to check that she is growing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'm lucky because my doctor does scans also so i've had a few done, i have an appointment on the 16th and i'll probably have another scan.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

I've just booked myself a private scan this weekend which makes me feel a lot better already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Is it normal to have the 14 week scan and then not have one until 32 weeks?

We had our first one 3 weeks ago(ish) and now have none until mid-April

I'm not sure Mellion, that seems a bit far apart alright. I know I had a first general scan at 12 weeks and then the big measurement one at 20 weeks. I'll be goin for another one coz of high blood pressure, to make sure it's growing properly. Can you ring them and double check they don't want you in sooner?

You only get one scan normally when you go public unless there is a high risk.
    I am public in Holles St and had my 20 week scan nearly 2 weeks ago, I have another on 11th feb but the only reason I am getting it is because the baby's measurements were a bit on the small size for the dates, so they want to check that she is growing properly.

I'm semi private in holles ST and they weren't intending to give me another one either, but now they will in a few weeks, like you to make sure baby's growing okay. The way I see it, if baby's kicking, everything's okay :D

Just back from scan, and happy to say that everything was fine :). And delighted to say that it's a boy, as he wasn't exactly shy (takes after his father!) :rolleyes:

Got a few pictures including a 3D one, which is just amazing.

Oh and is it normal for your bump to just suddenly double in size? :eek:
    I most definitely did not have such a big bump when I headed out to the scan this morning, and now I'm fit to burst out of my jeans. Gonna have to buy some new work clothes for Monday now.....

Advertisement