Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a silly question...

Options
  • 15-01-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

Was round in a mates house the other night and after a few games of Pro Ev and a few beers the night veered towards a game of poker... The guy doesn't play poker much but managed to root out some chips and a deck of cards... only problem was there was only 51 cards in the deck :o

Most of the group wouldn't be too into poker, a few home games every now and then would be the extent of it, and didn't see too much of a problem with it :eek:... Obviously I figured this would make the game entirely different, but not wanting to be the only one giving out about it I just agreed to play ahead with the short deck... Luckily we ended up finding another (full!) deck after a quick search of the house

Anyway, before we found that I was trying to figure out the correct strategy for playing with a card missing (6 of spades). This clearly messes with straight/flush possibilites, among others. So do I try not to go for low end straights as much, spade flushes etc, or just totally ignore the fact that its missing? Then I thought I would be over compensating as it was just the one card...

Not that this issue would (or should) ever arise, just wondering really would missing a single card really effect odds etc enough to totally change your strategy, and also would there be some cards which would make a bigger difference than others if they were missing?

Anyway, as I said, bit of a silly question but meh... bit bored :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Not totally change your strategy, its just like as if a player always folded a hand face up, if you are on a flush draw instead of there being 11 cards to hit (presuming you hold two spades), there are ten, and thus the odds are slightly lower. I don't think it would effect the game in a huge manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

definitely means you should fold KK

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

KevIRL wrote: »
    definitely means you should fold KK

I'll be doing this even if there is an extra King in the deck

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

and knowing would give you some edge.
    One time I was playing a game, and after an hour, I commented that 8's were coming up alot, had been a few of 88 flops, and plenty with a bare 8. We soon found out why why I floped a det of 8s, with two 8 of spades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Mellor wrote: »
    and knowing would give you some edge.
    One time I was playing a game, and after an hour, I commented that 8's were coming up alot, had been a few of 88 flops, and plenty with a bare 8. We soon found out why why I floped a det of 8s, with two 8 of spades.

True, I think an extra card in the deck would be more obvious than one missing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

If the flop comes out 666 and you're holding AA, you're on to a winner. :p

Would you like some maths on this?

Lets say you're holding 78 and the flop comes out 9 10 X. Your outs for a straight are any J or any 6. Under normal circumstances you'd have 8 outs, with an 8/47 (52 - 3 cards on flop - 2 cards in your hand = 47 cards) chance of getting it on the turn and 8/46 chance on the river. This works out at roughly a 1/3 chance (31.8%).

With a 6 missing it's 7/46 and 7/45. Works out to roughly a 1/3 chance (30.2%). So basically, you're still good. :p

I can show my work if you want some heavy duty probability. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Eh, would it not just be a lot easier to keep one of the jokers in the deck and use it as the 6 of spades?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Lao Lao wrote: »
    Eh, would it not just be a lot easier to keep one of the jokers in the deck and use it as the 6 of spades?

If there's no 6 of spades how likely do you think that there's still jokers? I would have enjoyed being there and seeing Rory's all in preflop KK get cracked by 66. He may have had an opinion on it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This situation can come up a lot when a card is accidentally exposed during a hand,as said just play your normal game unless you are drawing to the exposed card (or if you think your opponent is).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It'd mainly destroy the value of 66 pre flop for set mining, and also give you way more of an indication of where you stand on a 66x board holding something like 56 or something plus some draws being slightly less likely to hit (And some other draws being a tiny bit more likely to hit) but I wouldn't change my strategy apart from that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

i can speak from experience here... happened over a year ago and ruined poker for us big time only gettign back into it now hence never posting on the poker forum before. we used to play regularly 3times a month big games. now we're not loaded but we decided to have a whopper game an 8man game €100 a head.... no buy ins no top-ups. €600 winner €200 2nd and no settling up.

after much excitment and prep game underway at about 8oclock.. drinks food the lot all sorted... game wen underway to about 3/4 in the morning.. few of the early exits had left and was just 4 of us left at end of game... cleaning up cans food chips and cardc... jsut happened to count the cars when packing them back in as its a nice deck... and counted 51!! straight away was countign them again.. athen the otrs all ahd a go at countign them. then we filtered them out to suites and number order... 3spades missing...

well lets just say there was uproar especially for that amount of money! i personally think it does effect the game hugely!! especially since we didnt know the card was missing and i guess thats the point. bug there's noway u can play with less than 52 its a distinct advantage to unlucky who waiting for the run or the flush they cant get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭DEEP THROAT

Would this mean that 4S 5S 7S 8S 9S would be classed as a straight flush;)

But seriously the most sensible thing would be too take out the other 3 6s and play it with 48 cards. ( Without working it out I doubt if this would change the hand rankings probability wise )

Advertisement