Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Building your own home (thread moved)

Options
  • 15-01-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Help... Need ALL advice / Prices / Quotes etc anyone can offer on building your own home.

Hi
    I am looking to build a house... In Dublin

PM approved...

Has anyone any idea of the following;

1) Price per square ft (Dublin)
    2) Is there any extra costs that don’t jump out when considering building a house?
    3) What sort of money are we talking for the ESB
    4) What is a realistic time frame for a 1200sq house to be built ??

Thanks guys... biggrin.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I could tell you what servers I'd get to run everything in the house, even what storage systems to implement. The rest, sorry, I'm at a loss :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Have you tried turing it off and on again??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

CelineOC wrote: »
    Help... Need ALL advice / Prices / Quotes etc anyone can offer on building your own home.

Hi
    I am looking to build a house... In Dublin

PM approved...

Has anyone any idea of the following;

1) Price per square ft (Dublin)
    2) Is there any extra costs that don’t jump out when considering building a house?
    3) What sort of money are we talking for the ESB
    4) What is a realistic time frame for a 1200sq house to be built ??

Thanks guys... biggrin.gif

Whoever said us IT guys were unhelpful ...

1. Depending on the type of construction you could expect to pay between €200 and €400 per square foot (last time I checked about two years ago) but obviously with builders clamouring for work you might get a good bargain.
    2. you'll need to consider things like council charges for hooking up to the utilities such as water, waste water, electricity etc.
    3. really depends on how far you are from the road and lots of other factors, it's not cheap. if building within the city centre and suburbs it's unlikely you'll be too far from the main line.
    4. as with anything in the building trade it depends on a lot of things: the weather, the labour, the planning issues, how well your site manager can manage the supply chain, the type of construction. really, you'll need to show a builder your plans who can make a proper estimate. I only know how to build servers and PC's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to Accommodation & Property.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

preilly79 wrote: »
    1. Depending on the type of construction you could expect to pay between €200 and €400 per square foot (last time I checked about two years ago) but obviously with builders clamouring for work you might get a good bargain.

What planet are you on €400 per square foot? What are you using to build the house? Platinum.

Expect to pay €100 to €150 max for a builders finish. Shop around though as you will get varying quotes. You will get everything much much cheaper in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property to Construction & Planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,878 ✭✭✭✭muffler

OP as advised on numerous other threads here you would need to shop around.

You will need to factor in the development contributions that will be conditioned in your planning permission, ESB charges, connecting to public services, Solicitors fees, Engineer/surveyor's fees etc.

On completion you will, dependent on the contract, you will be putting in the bathroom & kitchen fittings, decoration, landscaping, furnishings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

TommyT wrote: »
    What planet are you on €400 per square foot? What are you using to build the house? Platinum.

Expect to pay €100 to €150 max for a builders finish. Shop around though as you will get varying quotes. You will get everything much much cheaper in the North.

Perhaps that was per square meter then?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,878 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No not per sq. metre anyhow. Dublin rates would have been €200 - €250 and possibly more a year ago but it would be safe to assume that those prices could be cut by 40 - 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭willbur

this is like how long is a piece of string , the hidden cost are what the other replies have noted ,
    lets say everthing is in ready for the start of the build,
    1, the site location and if it can be built with standard foundation max 1meter deep, anything not standard like bad ground requiring piles etc or if the water table in the area is high then these can add large costs just to get to damp proof level , getting to this stage can cost quite alot but it has to be done right any short cuts here will show up later this is call ground works stage includes foundations, all services , ducts for esb/gas/or oil/rainwater drainage/ surface water drainage / and any underground springs that require diversion around the building, allso the sewage system/ and soak aways, c driveways, paths / decking areas,

a client of mine in 2004 wanted to build extension to the side of the house
    two story and out the back and extend the roof, they got planning permission etc architect ready to go got 5 quotes , 159,000 to 220,000
    i was un able to do the work at the time thet wanted as i was commited elsewhere, however asked me to give a full quote which i charged for
    so during the my visit to the house to take measurements checking the drawings against the area where the built was to take place i notice the party wall was shared with a lane , on checking why there was a lane
    a long the side of the house i found that ther was two 4 foot diameter
    main sewage/and drainage for the surrounding area, ,and at the back of the house his own drains /manholes where 12 feet down, because of this
    the cost of just getting to damp proof level would have cost 60,000 to 80,000 , allso the council would not have let build go ahead any way and they could not belive that planning had been granted, so you can see
    that preparation is 90% of the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 CelineOC

Thanks for the feed back

Advertisement