Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to go back to college

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Im out of college almost 5 years. I did a course for the sake of doing something. I didn't really enjoy it. I thought i wanted to do it but in my final year, i just wanted to get out. How they expect young people to know what they want to do at 17 - i dont know??? Im now stuck in a dead end job and i hate it (i suppose im lucky to have a job though).

I have always wanted to go back to college. The course i always wanted to do was a part time course but its due to change this year to a full time 4 year course so i might be entitled to a grant when i eventually go and do it.

How do mature students get by doing a course away from home for so long? It must get so stressful. And i would probably have to pay fees and they are meant to be increasing next year.

For mature students reading this and going back to college the second time, is it worth it the second time round? Is it a course you enjoy more cause you know you want to do it.

Comments

I'm 36 and back in college doing something I really love.

It is challenging, though so rewarding, I have learnt so much and can't wait to get back into it on Monday.

You are right, you respect and know what you want when you get older.

Do pursue it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

lisajane, I know what you mean, I was never one of these people at school who knew what they wanted to do! I've been out of school for 10 years and STILL don't know what I want to do!
    I deferred on a Uni place after school and ended up doing various courses, all of which were s***e and working in deadend jobs.
    After getting good advice from different Boards users, I'm looking into going back and hopefully will stick it out.
    Personally, the only thing that would deter me from college are my living arrangements and having to move away for most of the week for 4 years!
    I think it's something you should really look in to, especially if you have a course in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

Hi ya,

Im a mature student looking to go back college i think this september,I alsodid a course i chose when i was 17!!!! Rediculus, and i did it even though i was unsure cause i wanted to see it through. Now it didnt work out for me so i wish 2 go back again and do a new degree, no post grad will work for what i have decided to do now. and now that i know what i want to do , i dont want anything to stop me!!! The only thing i hope now is i get the interview to get into the course.i really hope so.

Its so annoying though isnt it, I will have to pay fees and they are totally crazy. so i dont know what im going to do about that the only thing i can do is live at home but i will be completely broke but i cant let that stop me cause i hate the job i have now and have to do something about it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Went down the same road... career guidance teacher told me to do a course where there would be loads of jobs. She was right, but I dropped out of the course as it wasn't was not for me. Spent a few years doing different jobs, but never had job satision :(.

Hit 23, went back to college. Got all the grants, allowances etc :):). It was hard work at times, but i didn't mind because it was a course I really wanted to do.

End result; got my degree, a great job and a load of good mates from college.

Would def recommend you throw caution to the wind and give it a lash. Its kinda like giving up cigarettes, if your brain tells you its ready and you have the determination, then you can look forward to wearing a gown and silly had in a couple of years time. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭autograph

Can you survive financially by giving up your job and studying full time? If so, go for it. When you are older, you are often more focussed and more sensible about what to study.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭autograph

I remember being in college when I was 17. There was a woman of 37 in my class who left school after Leaving Cert and had been out of Education for 20 years. I felt so sorry for her and felt sure she'd fail her exams. That's until the results came out at the end of 1st Year and she finished on top of the class! My sympathy lessened after that, I can assure you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

I'm not a mature student as I'm 20. But when I left school, I spent 2 years working, first as a plumber and when I decided to go to college I worked for a marketing company. Because I wasn't over 23 I couldnt' get into any college as a mature student, so I'm a PLC at the minute in Galway and I've been Conditionally accepted to a uni in Scotland next year. Although not as old as some people I have the benefits of being older, wiser, more dedicated and focused because I've had two years of working. going to college when your 17/18 and being expected to know what you want to do for the rest of your life is too much!!

Go back and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Paulie Walnuts

I'm a 27 year old independent mature student in CIT. In the second year of my course and really starting to feel the financial strain.

If you do decide to go back to college I'd suggest that you have or part time job or some savings to fall back on. You will probably be entitled to grants from someone but even if you milk every grant possible it can still be tough.

It can be difficult to find a part time that doesn't interfere with college....in the middle of a recession!!!

But apart from the financial misery college is great, it beats working!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

lisajane wrote: »
    Im out of college almost 5 years. I did a course for the sake of doing something. I didn't really enjoy it. I thought i wanted to do it but in my final year, i just wanted to get out....

...The course i always wanted to do was a part time course but its due to change this year to a full time 4 year course so i might be entitled to a grant when i eventually go and do it...

Hi OP,

Depending on the course that you did and whether you completed it, you may not be entitled to any financial assistance, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

If the course that you have already completed is a Level 8 (honours degree), then you are not entitled to the Free Fees Initiative, as to qualify you have to be taking an undergraduate programme for the first time - more details here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/feespolicy/

Similarly, for the Higher Education Grant, if you already have a Level 8, you won't be funded to study another one. More details here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/

Both of the above funding options are aimed at first-time students, hence they won't fund you to study for a qualification equivalent to one you already have. If you studied for a Level 6 (Certificate) or Level 7 (Ordinary Degree), then that may change things a little. There's lots of info on the links above. Even if you're not considering DIT, the info is still valuable.

Sorry the news can't be a little better, but it's worth being in full possession of the facts before considering a return to college.

That said, I went back as a mature student and had the best 4 years of my life - if you can afford it, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

i want to go back to college too!!

i havent apply yet, so i'm thinkin goin to Maynooth doin equine studies in business.

went to college before at DBS and didnt like it at all.

do i have to apply CAO??

I'm 23...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 fitzy08

Hi Guys, I have been employed and getting a relatively good salary. I am wanting to return to college as a mature student though. Will I qualify for a grant? I really don't think I can afford it otherwise. My parents are also only retired. Can anyone advise what's taken into account by SUSI or what he maximum you could have been earning previously to qualify you for the grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

fitzy08 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I have been employed and getting a relatively good salary. I am wanting to return to college as a mature student though. Will I qualify for a grant? I really don't think I can afford it otherwise. My parents are also only retired. Can anyone advise what's taken into account by SUSI or what he maximum you could have been earning previously to qualify you for the grant

Start by looking here : https://susi.ie/undergraduate-income-threshold-and-grant-award-rates/

Advertisement