Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown- Evening of Wonders

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see this on the other night? Only watched it tonight and was probably one of the most incredible magic/illusion/mind reading type TV shows I've ever seen. Unbelievable. Literally:D
    If its repeated anywhere I'd highly recommend it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I have it stored on my Sky+ to watch at a later date so please don't give too much away.....use spoiler tags where possible.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The bit with the gorilla was great

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's on 4OD for download. I bought his book but I've only read a few pages in, it's amazingly simple what he does some of it, I haven't a clue how he did the blindfold bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I don't enjoy Derrens audience stage shows but I do enjoy the programs; Russian Roulette, The System et cetra.

Interesing man.

I'd give my left Kidney to see him live. I've already removed it in anticipation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

The man is a fecking genius! I've seen most of this stuff and he's always brilliant. Just caught the end of a show on Tv the other night so I presume it's what the OP saw.
    Just caught bit at the end where he unrolls a long sheet of paper with lots of items he get's right, helped by a random woman from the audience whose clothes he has listed perfectly on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

Its repeated on e4 either tonight or the next few days,in or around 9pm I am going to tape it as I did see it the other night but I was a little sceptical about a few things,he is either a real genius or just a total freak!
    love his tv shows though .

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The bit with the gorilla was great

OMG just saw this on channel 4 website. Awesome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

The table trick, my take on it, Magnets . What do you think? Excellent Show all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Neesa wrote: »
    I don't enjoy Derrens audience stage shows but I do enjoy the programs; Russian Roulette, The System et cetra.

Interesing man.

You didn't enjoy this one?? I found the second half of the show more amazing then most if not all the specials. Give it a go if you didn't watch it.

Repeated tonight on E4 at 9.30!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Personally I didn't think it was a good as his first recorded live show, but there were still some really brilliant tricks.

What the hell is stopping Derren Brown from taking over the world? He can completely control people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

OK so I finally got around to watching this last night and it was pretty good stuff.

As another poster has said, I think I preferred his last televised live show to this one. I think it was called "Something wicked is coming" (or something like that).

The Oracle part of the show was very impressive though. And the
    "Cock"
    statement on one of the cards was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Derren Brown is savage, very interesting man indeed

Watched the repeat last night.
    How in the name of God did he do
    the bit where he's blindfolded?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I saw this show when he brought it to the Olympia there last year. When he's live he's even more impressive. It's strange though that the Oracle bit with the little envelopes went similar. There was an envelope with the word "Cock" or "prick" written on it and when he unrolled the paper there was some reference to a woman that he turned away and he made the exact same comment "maybe that guy who wrote 'cock' on the card was right..."

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Yeah I think "Something Wicked This Way comes" was better and more shocking what with the
    broken glass "trick"
    and
    the reveal at the end where he shows a video of how he's been slipping in blatent messages all night

An Evening of Wonders was less impressive not helped by the editing, example:
    showing crowd members gasp at people spinning the ring on the string. Wow.
    Still some things I can't work out how he did and would love to know.

Saw this show twice in London last year,a lot of the oracle act can be figured out fairly simply,while you're there live...a certain something can be seen going on during the Interval;),

also anyone who filled out their info onto one of the envelopes,will have a fairly good idea of what was going on,though it's still technically impressive nonetheless..actually now that I think of it,I'm pretty sure I've just figured out the blindfolded part of the effect too:)

All in all,this special was incredibly well produced and pretty entertaining,but not quite as good as Something Wicked or some of his other specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

His show is really impressive alright. Went to see Keith Barry a couple of times and his show was quiet similar but maybe not as good.

Is his book worth reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I got his book and thought it was rubbish, read about half off it and gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

The book has some great stuff in it and other sections I found a little boring. But you can skip chapters. Its not one continuous narrative.

The whole section on memory should be taught in all schools. I use some of those methods now regulary to remember shopping lists etc.
    Now if only I knew that stuff when I was 'studying' for the leaving cert:D

• Advertisement

The book has some great stuff in it and other sections I found a little boring. But you can skip chapters. Its not one continuous narrative.

The whole section on memory should be taught in all schools. I use some of those methods now regulary to remember shopping lists etc.
    Now if only I knew that stuff when I was 'studying' for the leaving cert:D
    I just read up to the numbers system last night. It's incredible how easy the linking system is. I have a terrible memory yet could recall the words forwards and backwards at ease. Plus I was stoned so it really is good. Deffenitly should be thought in schools.

It's easy to see how his memory skills could be behind allot of his tricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

Saw this show twice in London last year,a lot of the oracle act can be figured out fairly simply,while you're there live...a certain something can be seen going on during the Interval;),

also anyone who filled out their info onto one of the envelopes,will have a fairly good idea of what was going on

Please explain further! I really wanted to know how he did that oracle thing, i thought it was amazing. Does he have minions finding out info from certain audience members in the interval or something? Are they plants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

The gorilla bit got me at first but if you rewind it, you can see that he goes off the side of the stage and a man slips behind the board he's supposeingly holding.

I like how he doesn't try to say he's a medium or some crap like that. In fact he comes across always like he hates them imo.

I must research his memory methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭event

Dean820 wrote: »
    The gorilla bit got me at first but if you rewind it, you can see that he goes off the side of the stage and a man slips behind the board he's supposeingly holding.

I like how he doesn't try to say he's a medium or some crap like that. In fact he comes across always like he hates them imo.

I must research his memory methods.

yeah in his book he goes on about how he doesnt like cold readers at all, really dislikes them. He dislikes Derek Acorah quite a bit and people like them, essentially calling them conmen

Advertisement