Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL question.

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hello folks. Before I ask my questions I will give my background, so the experts will know what will suit me best.
    I am a 22 year old cabinetmaker, so as everybody knows my job is on quite shakey ground at the minute. If things go belly-up I will be heading for the hills, destination undecided, but will probably be in a warmer climate within the EU. I think now is the time to do a TEFL course.
    I am looking to do the course in the classroom, as opposed to online so I am restricted to evenings and weekends. I don't really mind about the price, once I get to do the course in a reputable school. I would like to find a course that is convenient to get to (I am in north Co. Dublin).

PS. It probably makes no odds but I have about 75% fleuncy in French and 40% in Spanish. Would this be of any advantage to me at all?

So in conclusion: Where? How many hours? How much should I spend? Is it really worth doing?

Many thanks in advance,
    Rory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Hi Rory. While you are waiting for a response you might like to do a search for TEFL in this forum. These type of questions have come up a lot recently so you might find what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

janeybabe wrote: »
    Hi Rory. While you are waiting for a response you might like to do a search for TEFL in this forum. These type of questions have come up a lot recently so you might find what you are looking for.

Cheers Janeybabe. I have been doing that and have been learning a bit. I thought that the best way to get info and advice that was specific to myself was to start my own thread. Hope you don't mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Of course. I was just letting you know in case you didn't! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Is there any point doing a TEFL if you don't have a degree?

I only did one year of my degree, but I spent 2 years working as a property manager in a management position. Do they take anything else into consideration when considering you for teaching jobs overseas or is a degree the be all and end all?

I've spent 19 years so far being told what to do by teachers, lecturers, etc. And now when I ask them a question... Not a pip out of them! :p
    Seriously though, I'm guessing there are no TEFL teachers on here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

I have been teaching TEFL for 5 years in 4 different countries and almost all places require a primary degree as well as one of the longer TEFL courses, honestly without a degree the TEFL won't be of much use from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

Oh and in response to whether the level of your knowledge of foreign languages matters, TEFL is to be taught solely through the medium of english in the classroom. It will help you though if you have been a language learner and know what works re language learning in general and also you will understand why the students are making certain mistakes, like if they say I have 18 years you will know its a direct translation from the french/spanish j'ai 18 ans, tengo 18 anios etc. I speak 4 or 5 languages and it certainly helps although isn't directly used in class!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Feck the TEFL. Now's the time to go and get the degree of your choice. You may even get in under the mature student qualification. Either way, TEFL is great for travelling the world but for making a life you need that degree. And the three years fly so, so, quickly. At 22, you can have your degree and a PhD at 27. Most of all, it is fantastically satisfying when you get into it.

PS: Don't be a complete tosser and do your degree in something because you simply love it. Do it because you are interested in it, but also because you can make money out of it. I am one of the aforementioned tossers who did history because I loved it. Thick. Thick. And thick again (bangs head violently against the desk)

PPS: I'm doing the CELT TEFL all this month. It's very intensive and even a bit chaotic. It's good craic, but it is really a gap filler; just another thing to put under my belt and, hopefully, a small source of additional income. I've learnt an awful lot, I must admit. It opened up the creative side of teaching. But, really, you need a degree for so, so, many jobs.

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I'm a TEFL teacher. I agree that you really do need a degree.

It does help a lot if you speak other languages because most importantly, you've been in the same position as the students, and also if you happen to speak their language, you understand why they're making the mistakes. At the moment, most of the students in Dublin are Brazilian and Korean, so French and Spanish might not be directly useful, but as Portuguese and Spanish are so similar, I can understand when they chat amongst themselves (comes in useful ;)) and why they make the mistakes.

I think it is worth doing if you're interested in teaching English, because a lot of places won't hire you without it. I had a great time doing my TEFL course and made loads of friends. Mine lasted 4 weeks full time and cost just under a grand. Bear in mind that it's very intensive, you'll have assignments and homework most nights, so you won't be able to do much else. It's the kind of job you can do part time, there's a lot of evening work going to fit around study, other jobs etc. That was a big attraction for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 geminiii

Hi Guys,

I am also looking into doing a Tefl course. I was that one poster was in the middle of the CELT course- I am just wondering how they are getting on?

I have always wanted to do this and now seems to be a good time to do it (recently unemployed..). However it would be a real stretch to raise the €1,500 for the CELT course and I would have to wait until March.

Would the TEFL 120 hour course be sufficient- I'm put off by the fact that it is only a weekend course..

Thanks!

Geminiii

• Registered Users Posts: 44 uiscebeatha

Geminiii

I've done both courses and i'm sorry i did the i to i one, as i feel i didn't learn as much from it. Also it isn't recognised in Ireland and a lot of other countries.

If you plan on going to Asia, then it will probably be sufficient, depending on the country or school you end up in, as being a native speaker can be more important then qualifications in many places. Also I think itoi will find you a job if you want them to.

If you want to stay in Ireland. or even Europe, don't waste your time or money on an i to i course. Schools won't even look at it.

Also you will get a lot more out of the ACELS course. But it IS very tough going... it was a very stressful four weeks for me.

I know it's expensive but the i to i one isn't cheap either, when you consider that you will learn a lot more from the ACELS one, a lot more job options etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

Geminiii - can you get funding to do the CELT, I'm sure I've seen someone in one of the other TEFL threads mention they got funding thro' FAsomething ?

Rory 123 - I don't know for the CELT but the CELTA requires you to have a degree or "equivalent". Now were you ten years older they would take any work experience into account but given that you're the young end of the scale (you should be 20 to do the CELTA) you might get rejected on that alone. I'd second the get a degree first idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

See Ye wrote: »
    I've seen someone in one of the other TEFL threads mention they got funding thro' FAsomething ?

Hello,

I got Fás to cover the cost of a TEFL with i to i.

But the Celta course is a better long term option.

I dont think Fás will cover Celta.

Advertisement