Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dad has leukemia.

Options
  • 14-01-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I thought this might be the best forum to post this. My dad was diagnosed with leukemia 2 years ago. About 7 months ago, he got the shingles which spiraled it all out of control. He is not very very sick. He has had 4 weeks of compath treatment - high dosage of 3 times a week. At the moment his white cell count is 112.

My question is, is there anything I can do to lighten his mood a bit? I am looking after him full time. He doesn't know how sick he is (which I dont know if I agree with or not). I suppose if he knew, he wouldn't move for fear of something happening to him.

He also has a serious heart condition which means he could have a heart attack at any time.

I am my wits end trying to think up ways of making it easier for him? Does anyone have any tips on what I can do?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum or if that post seems messed up!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

I suppose you and your family should spend time with him when you can and make him happy. I think its a hard question for people to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that they have stopped all treatment with my Dad. His kidneys have failed and also his liver is enlarged so he is not stable enough for it.

They have said we have a maximum of 2 weeks left with him.

So sorry to hear that Kitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Very sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I am very sorry about this. I hope that your final days with your father will bring some comfort to your family and to him. I lost my mother suddenly and did not have the chance to say how much I loved her and how much she meant to me. Even typing this is making me cry. Best to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

Hi Kitten,

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time. **big hugs**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Sorry to hear that Kitten. I hope his passing is peaceful and as free from pain as possible, and I wish you and your family all the strength in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Going to be really tough on you over the next couple of weeks Kitten. It's very hard to watch someone you love fade away like that.

If you come from a big family try not to crowd him if you know what i mean. Also it's very easy to get emotional (God know's it must be unbearable when it's your dad) but i think you have to put the brave face on if only for him.

Try to rest, sleep and eat. I know you wont be hungry but you have to keep your strength up. Lean on each other in the family for support.

My heart really goes out to you.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words. He was taken off all medication yesterday and has been put on valium, morphine and xanax.

My mam is there now and said that he is very very weak today.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that my Dad passed away last night. It was very quick and very peaceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Sorry for your loss.
    Take some solace that it was quick and peaceful.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

Sorry for your loss op

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

very sorry to hear that kittensoft - RIP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am really sorry to hear that. RIP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sorry to hear about your loss kittensoft.
    Ar dheis de go raibh a anam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

oh god, really rest in peace to your dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My heart and thoughts are with you and your family kittensoft, I'm glad he went peacefully and now he is out of pain. You take care of yourself and your family *hugs*
    RIP

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words xx

Advertisement