Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxing in carlow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Yup. haven't been involved but i know some of the guys in it, seems like a good club, tough buggers in it

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ak51535

aright, thanks for the info, might check the club out when im up there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

Where abouts is it

ha i dunno, gd question... i just assumed it was in the college or sumin

there's a gym set up upstairs in the sports hall for the boxing club and martial arts clubs

• Advertisement

aright cool, thanks for the info, much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Are they beginner friendly? I've never done Boxing before and would love to try it. I'm just worried about being turned into a Human Punching Bag.

yeah most clubs are, like if you just explain that its ur first time then they will gradually break you into the training routine, hahaha no need to worry about going against mike tyson on your first night :D

hope this helps ya, and even if your not interested in the competitive side of it, the fitness training is brilliant!

ak51535 wrote: »
    yeah most clubs are, like if you just explain that its ur first time then they will gradually break you into the training routine, hahaha no need to worry about going against mike tyson on your first night :D

hope this helps ya, and even if your not interested in the competitive side of it, the fitness training is brilliant!

Let's just say I tried that with another Boxing club and they wanted me to spar on my very first night. Let's leave it at I never went back there.

As said above, all the college clubs are very beginner friendly. I used to run the Tae kwon do club there and the vast majority of my students were beginners. But i would push them to spar fairly soon. Not because i wanted them to get hurt but because it's the fastest way to learn. If they ask you to spar, don't take it as a bad thing, if they know it's your first night, they aren't going to let anything happen to you ;)

• Advertisement

yeah i agree with REDXIV, sparring is the fastest way to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AR-15

Straight punches lads

RedXIV wrote: »
    As said above, all the college clubs are very beginner friendly. I used to run the Tae kwon do club there and the vast majority of my students were beginners. But i would push them to spar fairly soon. Not because i wanted them to get hurt but because it's the fastest way to learn. If they ask you to spar, don't take it as a bad thing, if they know it's your first night, they aren't going to let anything happen to you ;)

Thanks Red. Maybe I should go with the WhiteCollarBoxing course first [I'm a mature student btw]then join a College/Reg Boxing Club. The Boxing clubs here in the States won't let you into the ring for atleast a month or two until you have gotten the basics [footwork, keeping your hands up and chin down, etc]

RedXIV wrote: »
    Yup. haven't been involved but i know some of the guys in it, seems like a good club, tough buggers in it

currently signed up. terrific club. would recommend to both beginners and skilled. nice bloke coaching the club. for fitness this is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Want Justice

Hi can anyone tell me what the training times are??? How many days a week??
    And standard of coaches please??? And does it cost anything??

Hi can anyone tell me what the training times are??? How many days a week??
    And standard of coaches please??? And does it cost anything??

You'll have to wait until the clubs & socs day, usually about a month into college. There'll be a big day to sign up for everything you want, €3 a club (when I was there anyway :) ), including boxing. If you miss it, its not the end of the world but try to sign up on the day, it helps the funding of the club.

Then there will times posted all over the place for training and the coaches are usually pretty good. Its been 3 years since I was there but they left an impression :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Want Justice

Hey man cheers for getting back to me.... But what were the training times and how many times per week when you were there.....?

Hey man cheers for getting back to me.... But what were the training times and how many times per week when you were there.....?

When I was there it was once a week, Monday from 5 till 7. There's plenty of free time with the bag though if you want it?

Monday and Thursday half 6 til 8 with optional sparring out in nearby Paulstown of a Tuesday night. Andy the trainer is a fantastic trainer with great enthusiasm for the sport and sound out. The guy is absolutely steeped in Boxing.

On signing up i signed up in the Barrow Centre the first night of training around the last Monday of Sept so no panic if you miss the clubs and socs day.

Enjoy

Advertisement