Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnostic tests

Options
  • 14-01-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I swear I've questions coming out my ears the last few weeks. Sorry for annoying you folks again :)

What do people here think about Diagnostic tests? My partner is in favour of getting a test done to rule out anything such as downs, spina bifida etc. Do many people get it done?

I'm going back to my GP next week so I'll ask him questions about it but I was just wondering about peoples experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I swear I've questions coming out my ears the last few weeks. Sorry for annoying you folks again :)

What do people here think about Diagnostic tests? My partner is in favour of getting a test done to rule out anything such as downs, spina bifida etc. Do many people get it done?

I'm going back to my GP next week so I'll ask him questions about it but I was just wondering about peoples experiences.

We didn't get any invasive tests done for a couple of reasons - firstly, I wouldn't be in a high risk group. Secondly, the risk of miscarriage that goes along with amniocentesis, however small, wasn't worth it for me..
    regardless of the outcome of the test, I could never abort. It seems to be quite a contentious issue, some people are totally against it. I'm not, it's just not for me.

Good luck, whatever your decision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

not sure what stage of your pregnancy you're at so not sure if any of this is helpful or not

On my last child I was 38 - so I decided to be screened for downs syndrome and trisonomy 13 syndrome - this involved a maternal blood sample cobined with an ultrasound that measured nuchal skin fold - all of this was only able to be carried out at 14-16 weeks for accurate reading. The resuls indicated that I was very low riisk for these syndromes - had they been higher I could have had an amnio, but we had decided the risk of miscarriage was too high andd would not have done it. Also the ultra sound can check if there are any obvious signs of spina bifida. All of this had to be carried out privately and was expensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

ArthurDent wrote: »
    not sure what stage of your pregnancy you're at so not sure if any of this is helpful or not

On my last child I was 38 - so I decided to be screened for downs syndrome and trisonomy 13 syndrome - this involved a maternal blood sample cobined with an ultrasound that measured nuchal skin fold - all of this was only able to be carried out at 14-16 weeks for accurate reading. The resuls indicated that I was very low riisk for these syndromes - had they been higher I could have had an amnio, but we had decided the risk of miscarriage was too high andd would not have done it. Also the ultra sound can check if there are any obvious signs of spina bifida. All of this had to be carried out privately and was expensive enough.

Can you remember how expensive?

I presume if you're going public you can still get the tests done privately?

Thanks for the info. Very early stages, around week 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'm 38 and if you are over 35 you should consider booking a nuchal fold scan for around 11 weeks. If the results are less then 1/200 in uk you would automatically be offered amnio on the NHS. I had amnio at 16 weeks as not happy with odds 1/253 and everything okay. Reasonably low risk procedure depending on who is doing it ( 1/200 -1/1000) but as Quackles says it's not for everyone. I would have been a mess without it.

Cost is €250 for nuchal fold scan and blood screening and €250 for amnio in rotunda. I would recommend getting testing done there as it is not a catholic hosp.

There's a good thread from 2007 here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I was in the Coombe - attended privately and asked my obs for tests - she didn't offer. The scan cost 250 ish and the bloods were about another 200 (and had to be sent away to England for analysis)

I'd imagine if you are public you wont be offered and probably won't even be able to access in hospital you are attending (depending on which hospital) - but you can always make an appointment with an obs privately and arrange

best of luck

• Advertisement

ArthurDent wrote: »
    I was in the Coombe - attended privately and asked my obs for tests - she didn't offer. The scan cost 250 ish and the bloods were about another 200 (and had to be sent away to England for analysis)

I'd imagine if you are public you wont be offered and probably won't even be able to access in hospital you are attending (depending on which hospital) - but you can always make an appointment with an obs privately and arrange

best of luck

In the rotunda the blood analysis is done there and then, so you get the results within and hour or so and discuss them and the nuchal results with the clinician.

Amnio test is sent to uk and you can pay extra for fast track results or wait two weeks. You need to call and book soon to have nuchal testing done. Here's the link Best of luck.

I'm not in Dublin I'm in cork. Does anyone know if any of the hospitals in cork do these tests?

I don't think so and not only that but I've read that CUMH don't routinely offer an anomaly scan at 20 weeks either. You need to get on the phone today and ask them I guess. There might be a private clinic in the region that does the tests.

Ok. Thanks for the info. I don't even know who to get on the phone to.
    I've requested a day off work tomorrow and if it gets approved i'll make an appointment with my GP.
    I suppose we could always take a day trip to Dublin if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You can get the nuchal fold scan test or the amnio. Personally I would go for the amnio because there is certainty in it. The nuchal fold is at the end of the day a scan, and therefore interpretive and while its accuracy rates range, they dont even hit 90%. However, I would also add, and I realise this is impossible for most people posting here, that I would get the amnio done in the US because the technicianship is superior.

Now, the reason I would get an amnio, is not whether or not I should abort the baby but what exactly I would have to prepare for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

If we get to 12 weeks will be getting the nuchal scan - at 9.5 weeks now...scared and having nightmares about it but am 35 and would like to know if baby is ok...would not even consider an abortion of results bad - it is still our child.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

Had the nuchal fold scan just over a week ago and feel so much better. This is a great exam for peace of mind for any mother especially in the specific category its aimed at and because its not intrusive like the amniocentisis / cvs, you are certain that it wont bring on miscarriage. definitely recommend this test.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Just so people know these services are available on public care.

On my first child I was public in the coombe and they spotted a large nuchal fold during the dating scan which led to bloods and ultimately an amnio. I was 34 at the time.

On my second child I was again public in the coombe and at the dating scan I asked about the nuchal test and was booked in for it immediately. No amnio this time as results were very low risk.

No charges for any of the above.

HTH! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I had a CVS test done recently, as prior to this I had the nuchal fold test done which came back with high odds for Downs. The CVS test can only be performed between 12 - 14 weeks, so its only a small window of time. The reason I opted for the CVS, is for peace of mind and to know what was ahead of me. Thankfully, the results came back normal.
    The CVS test cost 250 euros and if you want the results back within 72 hours its another 250 euros.

chirogirl wrote: »
    I had a CVS test done recently, as prior to this I had the nuchal fold test done which came back with high odds for Downs. The CVS test can only be performed between 12 - 14 weeks, so its only a small window of time. The reason I opted for the CVS, is for peace of mind and to know what was ahead of me. Thankfully, the results came back normal.
    The CVS test cost 250 euros and if you want the results back within 72 hours its another 250 euros.

I had amnio done in my last pregnancy and those 48 hours were the longest in history. So glad you got a normal result ( so did I). Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Hi all,
    albeit small, both amnio and CVS carry a risk of miscarriage.

For this reason, we are going for the harmony test.
    It is currently done in Beacon, Rotunda and Merrion clinic. It is a blood test, they take your sample and ship it to the US, where a lab does a genetic screening for the baba.

Since it is only a blood test, there is no risk of miscarriage.

We were told we could only have children if with successful IVF. We have a baby on the way now and 1% chances of miscarriages terrify me. For 99 women that go fine with it, there is one that doesn't. For this reason, we are going for the Harmony.
    But spoiler alert: it costs an arm and a leg...800 euro versus the conventional 250 of CVS (even though, reading here, to have faster answers it gets to 500 euro).

Hope this help,
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sciencebod

http://www.panoramatest.com/
    Just wanted to let people know about this non-invasive test which has been available since February 2013. I am high risk being pregnant for the first time at 43 so we are booked have it done in Dublin for €700. This test can be done from week 9. Bloods are sent to America and results are back in a week. It's 99% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

sciencebod wrote: »
    http://www.panoramatest.com/
    Just wanted to let people know about this non-invasive test which has been available since February 2013. I am high risk being pregnant for the first time at 43 so we are booked have it done in Dublin for €700. This test can be done from week 9. Bloods are sent to America and results are back in a week. It's 99% accurate.

Hi, had this done the other day. Just an update that the cost is gone down to 550.

Advertisement