Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does mega drive count as retro?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

If so i saw this and thought i would share it :D

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/8084351/Sega-Mega-Drive-Ultimate-Collection/Product.html

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/8084385/-/Product.html?searchstring=sega+mega+drive&searchsource=0

This is available on both ps3 and xbox 360 and i will be getting it for the 360, games on it are:

Special Features

* Games:
    * Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle
    * Alien Storm
    * Altered Beast
    * Beyond Oasis
    * Bonanza Bros.
    * Columns
    * Comix Zone
    * Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
    * Dr. Robotnik's MBM
    * Dynamite Headdy
    * Ecco The Dolphin
    * Ecco II: The Tides Of Time
    * E-Swat
    * Fatal Labyrinth
    * Flicky
    * Gain Ground
    * Golden Axe I
    * Golden Axe II
    * Golden Axe III
    * Kid Chameleon
    * Phantasy Star II
    * Phantasy Star III: Generations Of Doom
    * Phantasy Star IV: The End Of The Millennium
    * Ristar
    * Shining In The Darkness
    * Shining Force
    * Shining Force 2
    * Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master
    * Sonic 3D Blast
    * Sonic And Knuckles
    * Sonic Spinball
    * Sonic The Hedgehog
    * Sonic The Hedgehog 2
    * Sonic The Hedgehog 3
    * Streets Of Rage
    * Streets Of Rage 2
    * Streets Of Rage 3
    * Super Thunder Blade
    * Vectorman
    * Vectorman 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

thats pretty cool. i never owned a megadrive in its heyday as i played most of those games on an amiga...but about 10 years ago picked up a megdrive for next to nothing.....and never switched it on. i still have it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Yep definitely retro!. They also realised most of the above games on PS2 also about 5-6 years ago entitled Capcom classic or Sega Classics. So its defintely retro!.

To be honest though it sounds like a good idea, but when you get the games you'll be wondering why you bought them in the first place. The novelity wears off after about 20 minutes. I downloaded a few of them from Xbox Live like Sonic and Ecco and I played them for about 20 mins each and got bored. 1942 is the shit though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

thats pretty cool. i never owned a megadrive

Same as man, some of these games though i loved, my mate had a sega and brought it over to mine from time to time

actually got a snes on ebay a fair while back and lo and behold less then a week later im workin in student halls of residence and get to keep whatever is in the "junk" box and what do i lift out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Stop calling the Megadrive retro! you're making me feel old :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Megadrive is Retro:p:p,

Man there were a couple of fantastic games!
    Sonic 1 and Ghouls n ghost's the snes can't touch those 2 games, everything else on MD sucks hardcore though!

Though 120 minutes, you should boot that system up there are some great games for the machine!, don't mind my post above there! its as a joke. though you can get some cheap games and have some great fun, i play my md more then my 360,ps3 and wii, can't get enough of sonic 1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sad when the systems we spent so much time anticipating, drooling over every screen shot, seeing the consoles for the 1st time in an article on the E3 or CES or TGS.
    Saving our pennies/cents, pondering over importing one, can I do without food or not?
    Finally getting it and a selection of launch titles and feeling on top of the world.....

Only for nearly 20 years to pass, and what was once cutting edge is now available as a pocket money toy in Argos, collecting dust in Cash Converters and getting soaked to destruction at some grubby Sunday car boot sale.

On a brighter note, at least no one can see that the game you got with it was Altered Beast and then point and laugh at you in the street!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Streets of rage 2 and sonic 2 are two of the most fun games I have ever played, period.

(Seriously, get another retro head to join you in 2 player mode, they're both great fun, as well as iconic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Id consider it Retro....Retrogamer magazine consider most things up to and including the Dreamcast retro !

Now that makes me feel old !

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Heard an interesting discussion with the producer of this on this weeks Retronauts.
    If it's cheap enough I think I'll pick it up. February is looking like an expensive month though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

i have a mega drive and its great,SOR2 is brilliant but there is one game i believe outshines them all and that is GUNSTAR HEROES a fantastic game and i never get tired of playing it:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

i have a mega drive and its great,SOR2 is brilliant but there is one game i believe outshines them all and that is GUNSTAR HEROES a fantastic game and i never get tired of playing it:D

You and Retrogamer should get a room!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RalphieG

Any 16-bit system is retro nowadays in my books.

Check out GP32 or GP2X if you want perfect MD emulation in your pocket (& on tv with GP2X & TV cable)

Looks like a sweet package coming for 360:) I hope the filters are optional to allow you to enjoy these like we used to on old CRT TV's:cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's no doubting Gunstar Heroes is the best Megadrive game ever. If you don't believe that you are sick and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RalphieG

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's no doubting Gunstar Heroes is the best Megadrive game ever. If you don't believe that you are sick and wrong.

Great game & open for debate as if the best MD game ever!! Mega Turrican was also great for those interested in this type of genre (but i must admit not as good as Gunstar Heroes)!!:D

The Megadrive games I played more than any other?
    Must be Road Rash 2, Biohazard Battle and LHX Attack Chopper.
    Now I'm not, by any means, suggesting that these are the best games on the system but they are the ones tha soaked up most of my gaming time back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Revenge of shinobi and golden axe are also awesome games for the MD.
    Oh and the toejam and earl games who can forget those gems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

GAAman wrote: »
    If so i saw this and thought i would share it :D

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/8084351/Sega-Mega-Drive-Ultimate-Collection/Product.html

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/8084385/-/Product.html?searchstring=sega+mega+drive&searchsource=0

This is available on both ps3 and xbox 360 and i will be getting it for the 360, games on it are:

Special Features

* Games:
    * Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle
    * Alien Storm
    * Altered Beast
    * Beyond Oasis
    * Bonanza Bros.
    * Columns
    * Comix Zone
    * Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
    * Dr. Robotnik's MBM
    * Dynamite Headdy
    * Ecco The Dolphin
    * Ecco II: The Tides Of Time
    * E-Swat
    * Fatal Labyrinth
    * Flicky
    * Gain Ground
    * Golden Axe I
    * Golden Axe II
    * Golden Axe III
    * Kid Chameleon
    * Phantasy Star II
    * Phantasy Star III: Generations Of Doom
    * Phantasy Star IV: The End Of The Millennium
    * Ristar
    * Shining In The Darkness
    * Shining Force
    * Shining Force 2
    * Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master
    * Sonic 3D Blast
    * Sonic And Knuckles
    * Sonic Spinball
    * Sonic The Hedgehog
    * Sonic The Hedgehog 2
    * Sonic The Hedgehog 3
    * Streets Of Rage
    * Streets Of Rage 2
    * Streets Of Rage 3
    * Super Thunder Blade
    * Vectorman
    * Vectorman 2

I have most of this for megadrive collection for psp.Although getting 1000 achievements on a retro game sounds cool.It would have to be cheap. Whens it out here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Just checked Game. It's out this Friday,probably 45 euo. No deal.
    I'm paying 100 for the street fighter IV special edition and already have most of these games on psp and some on XBLA. Now if there was an Ultimate SNES collection for the 360 that would be a differnt matter.

It's very steep for those of us who have similar collections on the PSP and, to be honest, have for the original console.
    That said, this could be something well discounted in a few short months, so I'll probably get it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 justin.rattigan

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That said, this could be something well discounted in a few short months, so I'll probably get it then.

Definitly, give it till may and this will be in the bargin bin in xtravision. But it is missing some great games too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

And have any of you noticed the Screw up Sega did at the back of there collection, they have a picture of Sonic 3 and it says sonic 2 on the side "Chuckle chuckle".

But it has a very nice collection on it.

I mean sor1,2,3 is a first on any collection in the western world.
    you have Alex the kidd i mean it is really a good collection for the Megadrive
    Sure people are always going to say are that game should of been on it but chucks if you want that game then go out and get a Megadrive and said game

It's 39.99 in Gamestop, a but steep, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I got it for £24.99 some trip down memory lane but the so called "better graphics on hd" thing was balls

Still though never had a megadrive so im happy enough with this :D

Advertisement