Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter towns to Limerick

Options
  • 13-01-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

we are planning to move to the limerick area in a few months from bristol. We will probably both be working in Limerick and were wondering where would be a good town/ village to commute in from on the Clare side.

We are both in early 30s and after living in a city for 10 years so it might be a bit of a shock. Would prefer to not to have to drive more than 40 mins really.

I have had a bit of a look at previous threads and ennis seems to be a good spot? What about sixmilebridge, castleconnel (thats tipp though isnt it?), newmarket on fergus, gort- too far?

we are thinking clare side as rumour has it its nicer than limerick generally?

i suppose we are looking for somewhere lively enough not too far not ridiculously expensive and frinedly people. not much to ask then!

any help at all would be much appreciated

thanks

niall

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If it has to be Clare then i think Shannon would be your best bet. Ive recently moved out of there to Limerick though.Its not really that much more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

not much in shannon tho, one bit of a shopping center
    ennis would be your best bet imo, and you can hit limerick city in 30 mins on the ennis by pass, its dual carriageway all the way,
    pop of around 30,000 plenty of shops and pubs etc, lots of nice neighbourhoods to live in
    the other place you mention are very small rural villages,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Depending on where you work in Limerick, getting into the city from the Clare side can be painful.

Ennis is a great spot but if your work is on the other side of Limerick, you might need more than 40 mins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi,

I work in Limerick, it takes me 40 minutes to get to and from work each day, if your coming from Dublin traffic the drive will be nothing to you.

Looking at Ennis as the tip of your commute, I would guess your options would be.....

Ennis - Nice town, plenty to do, all ammenities you'd expect.
    Clarecastle - just an offshoot of Ennis now (calm down maggies)
    Newmarket - Nice town, small, has most ammenities you'll need and close to Ennis/Limerick if you need anything extra.
    Bunratty - Not much happening.
    Cratloe/Sixmilebridge/Parteen/Rest - lovely area, bit expensive, close to Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

If you were going for the rural lifestyle, I actually think Limerick county is more attractive.

I'd keep out of Newmarket or Shannon. They're pretty ugly villages. Sixmilebridge is attractive alright. Very close to Limerick too. I'm sure if you're renting it's not too expensive. Plus, houseprices are seriously plummiting at the moment anyway.

Ennis is pretty nice. Really if you're commuting to Limerick it's a 40 min drive without bad traffic. It's about going to work early enough in the morning. The traffic is so bad in Limerick at the moment that if you go in there after 8am it's going to be jammed so even if you live 10 mins away you'll end up sitting there bumper to bumber for 45 minutes.

There's a new tunnel being built that should be done at the end of the year maybe? Once that's built the commute from Ennis will be effortless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niall9

Cheers everyone for the replies much appreciated. Its so good to get honest information.

Blitz Molloy - interesting! Ok so then where in Limerick county is good? Probably be renting for a bit then eventually buying.

I cycle to work at the minute, takes about 20-30 mins. How likely is this around Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

niall9 wrote: »
    we are thinking clare side as rumour has it its nicer than limerick generally?

niall
    Agreed that Clare is a lovely part of the country but don't let its repuation put you off moving to somewhere in the Limerick area, Its largely undeserved and its a lovely city but if you wanting to move away from the city lifestyle well Adare might be the right commuting distance for you or anywhere along the N24 (Tipperary road).

Though if you have your heart set on Clare, well then Shannon would be perfect for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Killaloe / Ballina is also worth considering, takes me about 20-25mins to get into work so not bad. It can be quiet during the winter etc, but the summer months the place is buzzing with tourists etc, and usually a great night out. Rental prices have also dropped out here recently, you can rent a 4 bed house for 600-700per month now, a lot of places around Limerick city your talking 900per month.

Maybe I am biased, but i wouldn't live anywhere else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

If you are interested in moving to Clare, I would suggest Quin which is a really nice village not far from Ennis and just off the Ennis-Limerick Dual Carriageway. http://www.irishtourist.com/clare/towns/quin/

Not sure what prices for housing are like there as Quin has got fairly popular in recent years. Ennis is a decent sized town with all the amenities you want. It also has a rail commuter service to Limerick which may be handy if you work in Limerick city centre.

Also Sixmilebridge is a nice village and according to this article, a train station will be opening there this year with connections to Limerick:
    http://www.clarenews.ie/article.asp?id=1153

Newmarket-On-Fergus village is ok but out in the countryside it is really nice especially anywhere near Dromoland Woods or the Quin side of Newmarket.

I would not recommend Shannon as somewhere to move to, Ennis is a nicer town although Shannon does have alot of green space

Cratloe village is also near Limerick in Clare but I think house prices around Cratloe are expensive. the area is really nice though especially for walking in Cratloe Woods.

I would definitely recommend Quin or Newmarket-on-Fergus area both not far from Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Broadford is a good spot. You are in Limerick in 15 minutes. Lovely countryside with loads of walks and a lake. Housing is not that expensive either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

anoble66 wrote: »
    Killaloe / Ballina is also worth considering, takes me about 20-25mins to get into work so not bad. It can be quiet during the winter etc, but the summer months the place is buzzing with tourists etc, and usually a great night out. Rental prices have also dropped out here recently, you can rent a 4 bed house for 600-700per month now, a lot of places around Limerick city your talking 900per month.

Maybe I am biased, but i wouldn't live anywhere else :D

Totally agree with ya there. Also biased as I am from the town!!!

Advertisement