Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If considering an alarm system- The PSA & EN50131

Options
  • 13-01-2009 9:06pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A lot has been posted recently regarding The PSA (Private Security Authority) & The EN Standards . Some things true but a lot very confusing for the average consumer.
    I thought I would just lay out some facts to clear things up. Perhaps a mod could sticky & lock this if they see fit.
    These are purely the facts not opinions. Please do not post any opinions or personal views, as this is what causes confusion in the first place.

The Government of Ireland through the Private Security Services Act, 2004, established the Private Security Authority which took up office in that year.
    The PSA has the responsibility for licensing and regulating the private security industry in Ireland.
    The Authority is independent in the exercise of its functions. The Board of the Authority, chaired by Mr. Maurice Dockrell, consists of representatives of the legal profession, private security employers and employees, An Garda Siochána and relevant government departments and agencies.

If you are considering employing a person or company to install an alarm system in your property by law you must use a licenced contractor.
    An up to date list of contractors is available here
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/8323CBA191C013C880257143002C9E9D/$File/Installer%20(Intruder%20Alarm)%20Licence%20Holders%20(06-01-2009).pdf .
    There is a list of exemptions here
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/newsitems/7FD740B6C13B6EB380257536003D28AA?Opendocument
    These exemptions are issued to Contractors in order to obtain Standard EN50131 which is required for licensing

If you are unsure about any person or company it is best to contact the PSA
    Address:ecblank.gif
    The Private Security Authority
    Davis Street
    Tipperary Town
    Telephone:ecblank.gif(062) 31588
    (062) 32600
    Fax:ecblank.gif(062) 31591
    (Licensing Division)ecblank.gifecblank.gifecblank.gifEmail:ecblank.gifinfo@psa.gov.ie

The full act can be downloaded here
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/the_private_security_services_act.pdf

But basically
    It is an offence under the Act for a security company or a person working in the industry to provide, or present themselves to provide, a security service without a licence.
    more importantly for the consumer
    Similarly, it is an offence to employ an unlicensed security operator.
    A person convicted of such an offence is liable to a fine or imprisonment for up to 5 years.
    Licensing for Intruder Alarm Installers and Alarm Receiving Centres (Monitoring Stations) became mandatory on 1 August 2006.

The Standard EN50131 is the standard to which all systems must conform.
    Corforming to this standard is a requirement of the PSA licence so therefore all licenced installers must install to this standard.
    This standard is enforced by the NSAI or equivelent inspection authority.

The MYTHS busted..

The PSA Licence is not simply a licence that can be purchased by anybody. Certain criteria must be sadisified. This includes the above mentioned EN standard , certain office procedures, staff vetting & much more.

The NSAI or equivlent inspection authority certification is also not something can be purchased by anybody. Certain criteria must also be sadisified here also. Continued sadisfaction of criteria is enforced by regular inspection. If an installation fails an inspection , the installer must give confirmation in writing to the inspector that the errors have been corrected. This information remains on the installers record.

Licences can be (and have been ) revoked for continued non coformance.

Anyone can install alarms with no formal training. Another myth, not true as EN50131 is now a legal requirement , by way of it being a requirement of the PSA licence, all systems must conform to this standard. Durning inspections the installers must show extensive knowledge & understanding of the working of systems ,the electrical requirements , electromagnetic & radio interference requirements
    The standards are recognised and accepted troughout Europe, by police forces, insurance companies, security companies & the industry in general.

I hope this clears up some things for everybody.
    I am not posting views & not looking for views or discussion
    These are simply the facts & as mentioned is also the law.

With regard to the PSA I have taken & condensed some information from their website, here http://www.psa.gov.ie/ .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fluffyduffy

Thanks Koolkid! I been interested in working in this area since I got my own alarm installed. Is there much work?

Can you explain a bit more?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement