Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Night Units for ESB Storage Heater

Options
  • 13-01-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I recently got an ESB bill saying that I used 2461 night units in a two month period. I think this must be the storage heaters. There are 2 of them and they are set- Input 4. There is also a timed storage heater in the bedroom which comes on from 5-7 every morning and 10-12 at night. This seems a bit excessive so I was just wondering if anyone had an idea about what the average amount of night units is for a 2 bed apartment over a 2 month period...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I recently got an ESB bill saying that I used 2461 night units in a two month period.
    First off all you should know that many bills are just estimated. This value could be way off.

The next thing you need to know is what a unit is.

1 unit = 1000 watts for 1 hour = 1kW for 1 hour

Look at the ratings of your storage heaters. As far as I can recall night rate is from 11pm to 7am (8 hours). So if you have at total of 5kW of heating on for 8 hours it will use 40 units.

Over 2 months this will total 40 x 60 = 2400 units.

In reality the heaters will go on and off a bit due to stats (input 4).

As well as this is all of the other electricity you use during this time, lights, TV, alarm system, digibox, cooker kettle etc. Once they are using electricity during this time they will be part of your night units.
    There is also a timed storage heater in the bedroom which comes on from 5-7 every morning and 10-12 at night
    I would guess that this is a panel heater. But it will also add to your night units at those times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 benmar

Hi Garrincha62,
    this is my first time here but my mother is an oap and moved recently into sheltered housing which had storage heating. This is the first time we had to deal with this type of heating and are unsure how it works. The input is set at 4 and output at 4 but her first esb bill for one month showed she used almost 1700 units this can't be right. what is the most economical settings for a storage heater she has one large one in kitchen/ sitting room area and a smaller one in the hall area and a slim line one in the bed room which she used a few nights to come on for and our befor 9pm abut now turned off. hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance:)

Advertisement