Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare Strand - old wreck

Options
  • 13-01-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi, I used to holiday in Rosslare Strand when I was a kid in the late 60s/early 70s. In those days there was a ship wreck on the beach up somewhere around The Burrows. It must have been there some time as it appeared in all the postcards of the strand looking towards the Point.

I returned recently and immediately spotted its absence. Does anyone know when was this wreck removed, or did it just get covered by sand as the level does seem higher now? And does anyone know the name of the ship?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I grew up on those beaches and i dont remember any wreck?? Are you talking about right down on the point, where you can walk no further? I remember old timber down there alright, but i dont think that was a shipwreck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnnyboy123

Yea there was a wreck. Pretty big too. Climbed on to it as a kid with my 'safety first' dad. As far as i know they took it away years ago because it was becoming dangerous. Might have been called The Lodden, wrecked in 1941

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Definitely was a wreck there alright - fairly clear memories of it when I was kid down there on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭delsutton2008

Yea there was a wreck. Pretty big too. Climbed on to it as a kid with my 'safety first' dad. As far as i know they took it away years ago because it was becoming dangerous. Might have been called The Lodden, wrecked in 1941

Yes, I remember it being pretty big, although I never went up close to it. I just recall it being part of the landscape everytime I looked up towards the Point. I asked my Dad and he said he walked over to it a number of times and confirms that was a substantial vessel.

I couldn't find any reference to The Lodden, but I've just found this website and there are two ships that are listed as being wrecked on the Point: PILOT (WEXFORD SCHOONER - 67 tons) in 1888 and TEMPEST (KETCH - 6 tons) in 1908.

http://www.irishwrecksonline.net/Lists/WexfordListC.htm

If my memory is correct then I'd say it was the larger of the two, but would a wreck be allowed to lay around on a beach for almost 100 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

Yes, I remember it being pretty big, although I never went up close to it. I just recall it being part of the landscape everytime I looked up towards the Point. I asked my Dad and he said he walked over to it a number of times and confirms that was a substantial vessel.

I couldn't find any reference to The Lodden, but I've just found this website and there are two ships that are listed as being wrecked on the Point: PILOT (WEXFORD SCHOONER - 67 tons) in 1888 and TEMPEST (KETCH - 6 tons) in 1908.

http://www.irishwrecksonline.net/Lists/WexfordListC.htm

If my memory is correct then I'd say it was the larger of the two, but would a wreck be allowed to lay around on a beach for almost 100 years?

The LODDON is mentioned on that page.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Jaysus I remember climbing on that one too.

How long has it been gone?

the other one I remember is the one that used to be beside the Bridge in Saltmills.

wasnt there an old wreck half submerged on the quay in Town too for a long time, down the Talbot end of town?

I've just recently come back from a few days at Rosslare and can confirm that the hull remains of a ship are still there. I haven't noticed them on previous visits over the last few years so perhaps it's a result of sand shifting, but there were definite iron remains resembling a boat shape in the approximate position where I remember it being.

Apparently, the boat's name was "Achroite" and it was beached during a storm on the strand in 1963.

A useful link here:
    http://float-trawlers.lancashire.gov.uk/index.php?a=showall&s=item&key=AYTozOntpOjA7czoxOiIxIjtpOjE7czoxOiI2IjtpOjI7czoxOiI3Ijt9&pg=1

Where exactly on the beach is it Del? I'm curious to know!

Where exactly on the beach is it Del? I'm curious to know!

I can't remember exactly how far down from the headland it is, but I took some photos which might give you a clearer idea.

Looks like its just up from the Burrow, running along by the golf course. Must check it out at the weekend when i'm down home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

I can't remember exactly how far down from the headland it is, but I took some photos which might give you a clearer idea.
    Forgive my ignorance but are those 4 photos of the wreck itself on the strand?

Forgive my ignorance but are those 4 photos of the wreck itself on the strand?

Yes, well, what remains of it after years of rusting and removal :) I might be wrong of course, but it seems to be in the same place as the old wreck. As I say, I've not noticed it in previous years but only this year and assumed sands have now moved to reveal the old beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

I walk down there regularly and the moving of sand covers and uncovers bits of the wreck all the time. Ive never seen more than a foot or two of iron though in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bluesjohn

The wreck was a ship called the "Anchroite", It ran ashore in a storm in 1963. whilst being towed to be scrapped. A Wexford business man from Killlinick bought it and scrapped as much as he could, and the hull was left to rot. what remains today at low tide can be viewed above in delsutton2008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Bluesjohn's second photo is what I remember of the vessel from my days of short pants. I was another lad who used to clamber all over the hulk.

I remember that inside the hull was certainly stripped of anything useful apart from the bulkheads and the odd mount/bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just came across this thread. Remember that wreck well. My brothers and I used climb all over it in the 1970s when down there on holidays. I remember it being pretty intact - there was definitely some sort of cabin/wheelhouse you could get into, as well as the hold. Big brown rusty yoke - great fun entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Frank J Martin

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for bringing this up. I was reared in Rosslare Strand in the 1960's and remember the wrecked ship very well. We used to climb aboard regularly. The ship lay at an angle of about 45 degrees and we would move around the deck on hands and feet like monkeys. We could only board it when the tide was out. I attach herewith a picture of it.

Advertisement