Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anterior/posterior uvetitis of the eye - link to CFS??

Options
  • 13-01-2009 6:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi all,

I posted this on the end of another thread I started but i thought I would post again uder its own heading in the hope of getting more responses.

after a bout of interrupted sleep which I mentioned elsewhere, and due to planning a wedding and some other minor stresses (no more than I would have taken in my stride 4 years ago, but now knocks me for 6), anyway after all that, unsurprisingly I've had a CFS crash. first real one in 5 mths - am gutted, was doing so well!

got a bad bout of flu, and then contracted anterior uvetitis of the eye. apparently its quite common in people suffering from auto-immune diseases. in fact the first thing the doctor asked me was if i had any auto-immune problems or if anyone in my family had - yes to both. I have had quite a severe bout of this, and am on steriods now for almost two weeks, pain has reduced but my iris is still HUGE and some minor pain - but thankfully nothing like before. the doc says that most cases are relatively easy to treat, usually treat with cortisone drops and rest and it clears up, but my case is quite severe and I needed oral steriods, and types of steroid drops, every hour on the hour! Add in no bright light (even daylight!) reading, computer, TV and I am bored silly. There seems to be an improvement now, so I have been given a repreave of 1 hour on the computer!

Has anyone else out there with CFS/ME similar had this uvetitis? was it recurring? Doc says some people get it as a once off, but if it is caused by auto-immune failure then it is highly likely to flare up again at some stage in the future, and is most often triggered by stress and/or a flare up of the CFS. Anyone have experience out there?

So after all this I have been looking up my diagnosis on the internet, and noticed some other links to (HLA)-B27 antigen process. I am intregued by this. i haven't read up enough on it (due to gammy eye) but am curious to know if anyone knows if there is a link with this and CFS/ME or similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

I have had this for the past year as a result of sarcoidosis, it kept coming and going and now it looks like it's gone in my left eye but just won't budge in my right eye!I have the inflammation gone but the eye feels "thick" if that makes sense. My sister got it once about 6 years ago but has had no problems since so it really seems like luck of the draw as to how it effects you!I used to get awful headaches from it too, hope you're not etting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

yeah the 'thick' feeling is familiar. I am now two weeks under treatment, and still have the vision problem and dilated pupil. Thankfully pain is gone, but ther eis a 'ache' due to the strain of the eye working overtime I suppose. Still on drops every two hours, and steriods, but thankfully the steroid dose is being slowly decreased. doc is optimistic that although it was a serious bout of it and it is slow to recover, it will recover - at least she can see it clear now at the back of the eye, which she couldn't til two days ago.

She is fairly certain that it will not be my last meeting with mr uvititus though! :o( she says that it was such a serious attack, and that it is almost certainly due to CFS/stress that sooner or later it will re-emerge so I need to be vigilant.

you really do realise how much you take your vision for granted when it is impaired - I can see, but blurred in my right eye, like looking through a mottled glass window, and it makes focusing on things difficult can't see straight lines or get proper depth of vision or colour.

At least I am allowed to read and use PC for a while each day now!

Advertisement