Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open Ticket Question

Options
  • 12-01-2009 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

As well as offering the ticket for sale im asking the opinion of some of the boardies on this one.

I recently won a ticket to the Irish Open for the value of 3500euro in a live satilite. However at the beginning of the final table with 9 players still left, we agreed that each player would take a 1% stake in whoever eventualy won the event therefore giving away a total of 8% to the rest of the table.

At the time this seemed like a great idea but in hindsight maybe only 2/3 out of the 9 players were actually intending on playing the event if they won the ticket with the rest selling. The percentage has created some difficulty in selling the ticket as some potential buyers will only buy for 100% of themselves.

My question i guess is, am i better off trying to buy the 1%(x7 as one of the players is my friend and doesn't mind about his stake) off the other players or should i sell the ticket at a lower rate with the buyer owning 93% of themselves?

Could someone with any experience of big buyin tournies give me an idea of the resale value for the ticket alone or with 7% taken out of it? I have been offered around 3000euro for the ticket itself but don't have any offers with the 7% taken out aswell.

If there are any reasonable offers i'd be more than happy for anyone to PM on it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

LTL wrote: »
    themselves.

My question i guess is, am i better off trying to buy the 1%(x7 as one of the players is my friend and doesn't mind about his stake) off the other players .

this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

As well as offering the ticket for sale im asking the opinion of some of the boardies on this one.

I recently won a ticket to the Irish Open for the value of 3500euro in a live satilite. However at the beginning of the final table with 9 players still left, we agreed that each player would take a 1% stake in whoever eventualy won the event therefore giving away a total of 8% to the rest of the table.

At the time this seemed like a great idea but in hindsight maybe only 2/3 out of the 9 players were actually intending on playing the event if they won the ticket with the rest selling. The percentage has created some difficulty in selling the ticket as some potential buyers will only buy for 100% of themselves.

My question i guess is, am i better off trying to buy the 1%(x7 as one of the players is my friend and doesn't mind about his stake) off the other players or should i sell the ticket at a lower rate with the buyer owning 93% of themselves?

Could someone with any experience of big buyin tournies give me an idea of the resale value for the ticket alone or with 7% taken out of it? I have been offered around 3000euro for the ticket itself but don't have any offers with the 7% taken out aswell.

If there are any reasonable offers i'd be more than happy for anyone to PM on it.

Thanks.

Buy the players out - no one will buy the 92% ticket. It will get very messy having a horse you don't know playing in the event etc.

I will give you €3,200 for it , cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

you have an agreement with the other players to play the event. It would be very shady to sell the ticket without the other players' agreement. So if you really want to sell the ticket, you should offer to buy out the other players who have a stake in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭e05bf05a

how much does everyone think the 1%'s can be bought out for, its all well and easy to say buy them out but how much? and LTL how much would you be willing to pay for one percent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭LTL

I appreciate the advice and the truth is that the last thing i want to do is make some shady deal and come across badly but i havn't discussed the idea of buying the 1% stakes with the players involved yet so i should probably discuss that first.

I forgot to mention that the only reason im planning on selling the ticket is because i was offered a job to work at the event itself as a dealer,and being a student i can't realy afford to take the gamble and refuse well paid work.

Pocketdooz, i would accept that offer if all works out and i can get the entire 100% of the ticket myself. If you could PM with some details i could get back to after iv discussed it with the other players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

If all parties agree,sell the ticket for what you can get and give 35 squid each to your % holders.

If all parties agree,sell the ticket for what you can get and give 35 squid each to your % holders.

Ye,exactly what i was thinking but i am right in thinking that anything over 50euro is too much to pay for 1% as the value is obviously 35euro and im selling the ticket at a reduced price? I'm hoping between 35 and 50 euro per % therefore not giving anyone a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

yeah I doubt anyone is going to be a huge dick about it and insist on much more than face value, of course it depends on the players though. I'd say most people would accept €35 no questions asked when you explain what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

€35 is fine, anyone asking for more is chancing it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

€35 is fine, anyone asking for more is chancing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Play the event. Yes 3500 is a lot of money but this would be a great experience for you-you've basically sated in for free-think of it as a 800k freerole. There is no reason why you couldnt go deep-stranger things have happened.

Ye,exactly what i was thinking but i am right in thinking that anything over 50euro is too much to pay for 1% as the value is obviously 35euro and im selling the ticket at a reduced price? I'm hoping between 35 and 50 euro per % therefore not giving anyone a bad deal.

As RT said,they took 1% initially,so I think 35 is fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

If i was a member of the people at the final table i wouldnt be very happy getting 35 euro as this is piddly squat. The deal at the time was to get 1% of any winnings from the entry to the IO - not to be picky but you should stick to the deal and play - if you had not intention of playing you should have said so at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickste

No one at that final table was going to play it unless they couldn't sell it.

Andrew as i said to you the people who were already knocked out were the ones looking for their 1% and that is the reason it messed up the deal for you.
    gl in selling it , you'll get a few offers from here

Mick

Mont wrote: »
    If i was a member of the people at the final table i wouldnt be very happy getting 35 euro as this is piddly squat. The deal at the time was to get 1% of any winnings from the entry to the IO - not to be picky but you should stick to the deal and play - if you had not intention of playing you should have said so at the time.

Unnecessarily harsh imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

There is a 92% chance the 35 euro will be looking very sweet come Irish Open FT day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

congrats btw, I'm guessing this was the freeroll in the jackpot? If so I think I was at your table for a while, I went out 17th or 18th. I was the guy who tried to squeeze after you raised (I think it was you, I might well be wrong though) and some other guy called, I thought I'd got it through when you folded and then the other guy fcking shoved:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

If I was one of the other 8, I'd prefer the stake in the horse rather than the €35 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭adzer86

dK1NG wrote:
    If I was one of the other 8, I'd prefer the stake in the horse rather than the €35 tbh.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

dK1NG wrote: »

also !

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for their advice first and foremost.

Since last night I'v been into jackpot and spoke with 3 out of the 7 1% holders who all thankfully agreed to sell their 1% stake due to the situation. As I said before, the last thing i want to do is try to force people into making some shady deal so i'v offered all 1% stakeholders 50euro instead of the value of 35euro which all (so far) have seen as a fair price.
    jbravado wrote: »
    Play the event. Yes 3500 is a lot of money but this would be a great experience for you-you've basically sated in for free-think of it as a 800k freerole. There is no reason why you couldnt go deep-stranger things have happened.

I accept the point that i would be freerolling and if i get lucky anything could happen but having decided to end my contract at the end of january with my part time work (decided back in october when it seemed like a bright idea), i can't really afford not to sell the ticket and turn down potentially well paid work at the irish open aswell so at the moment a sale is the only option and i just hope that the other holders can understand this.

If all goes well and i pay the stakeholders off , poketdooz was the first to give me a good offer and i will happily sell the ticket to him.

Thanks for all the advice so far positive or negative, and i will continue to find the stakeholders and see how it goes.

Thanks,andrew

mickste wrote: »
    No one at that final table was going to play it unless they couldn't sell it.

Andrew as i said to you the people who were already knocked out were the ones looking for their 1% and that is the reason it messed up the deal for you.
    gl in selling it , you'll get a few offers from here

Mick

Thank you very much for the advice on the night mick, really didn't know how to deal with it and you really helped ,so much appreciated. I'll make sure to let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

$50 fine in the circumstances imo - its easy for people to say play it, but sometimes you can't afford to gamble and the io is a really well paying festival

dK1NG wrote: »

Of course,most people would,but i'm sure you wouldn't be a dick about it if the guy wanted to sell the ticket either.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭DrJFF

Of course,most people would,but i'm sure you wouldn't be a dick about it if the guy wanted to sell the ticket either.

+1

Advertisement