Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony VAIO FW21E ... any opinions?

Options
  • 12-01-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    I'm thinking of buying a Sony VAIO FW21E.

Anyone any opinions on this laptop?

Also, I'm being quoted €1,049 from the Sony Centre in Dundrum but the same laptop on laptopsdirect.ie is €837 :eek::eek::eek: Too good to be true or more recession price madness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Lads,
    I'm thinking of buying a Sony VAIO FW21E.

Anyone any opinions on this laptop?

Also, I'm being quoted €1,049 from the Sony Centre in Dundrum but the same laptop on laptopsdirect.ie is €837 :eek::eek::eek:

Too good to be true or more recession price madness?

I bought one recently (higher spec) and it's a really well built quality laptop.

The only downside but it's non hardware and not very important to me is you don't get recovery CD's but there is software to make these yourself.

Apart from that I'm loving it especially the sound really crisp and the over all design (all be it a tad big) is beautiful I don't use it for travel so the size wasn't much a problem for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

ntlbell wrote: »
    I bought one recently (higher spec) and it's a really well built quality laptop.

The only downside but it's non hardware and not very important to me is you don't get recovery CD's but there is software to make these yourself.

Apart from that I'm loving it especially the sound really crisp and the over all design (all be it a tad big) is beautiful I don't use it for travel so the size wasn't much a problem for me.

What model did you get?

How much, and where did you buy from (if you don't mind me asking)?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just to clarify, laptopsdirect.ie is a legit site, if you order from them you can be almost certain you'll get it without issue. I do say "almost certain", as they have a v.poor reputation on here as far as customer support goes, theres a massive thread just below this one on the main laptops page. Try elara, dabs and the likes and see if you see something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    What model did you get?

How much, and where did you buy from (if you don't mind me asking)?

I got the
    VGN-FW21M

I think it just has a slightly faster CPU 2.4 and larger HDD space

I got it up north in Currys and it came in just under 900e

I think sony were looking for 1300e or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I picked one of these up as a Christmas gift FW21m, nicely styled laptop and no issues thus far with it. Stay away from the Sony shops here as they are charging crazy money - particularly on the older/lower spec models.

Best prices before Christmas when I looked were on laptopsdirect.ie or if
    you're looking for somewhere more local and reliable, check Elara.ie they were over €200 cheaper at the time than the Sony shops or PC World/DSG.

FW21L

FW21M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I am thinking of picking up one of these the 21Ms that is.
    I know they are replacing them in about 4 weeks though with the 31Ms but I am not sure I am bothered waiting.
    Dont think the specs will be that different maybe and extra 100G HD and diff Graphics card but for general home entertainment these machines seem top notch no ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mr. Cian

Hey,

I own the exact model you're looking at. I bought it off laptopsdirect.ie for way less than it was quote at in the Sonycenter shops and i had absolutely no problems with them, i found the delivery quick and the package was perfect. i'd buy form them again if i was looking for a new laptop!

However the laptop was another story, i had quite a few problems.... :mad:

The computer seems slow and constantly underpowered. my CPU runs at 100% usage most of the time even tho i'm not really doing anything... however this may be a mal ware issue.

The laptop is rather large, as wide as a 17" but without the added benifit of screen size. However, i do find the screen sharp and excellent while watching DVD's.

The speakers sound crisp and clear at lower volumes yet at high volumes it sounds similar to a group of screaming girls. Shrill and annoying with a complete lack of base. A huge letdown form what sony refer to as a multimedia laptop.

The computer DOES NOT include windows office 2007, it only includes a 30 trial version. You have to buy a copy to continue using it

There are ony 3 usb ports to the front right side of the laptop. This is an absolute pain if you want to plug in a mouse or usb application that must remain in the machine the wire is constantly visable and always in the way, possibly the most annoying thing about the machine.

There are numerous other faults that i can find with the laptop but suffice to say that i would not purchase it again if i had the choice. My brother recently bought a Dell Studio 15 which, having used, i find a much more balanced system.

I would give it about 3 out of 10, a very dissappointing system.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Mr. Cian wrote: »
    The computer seems slow and constantly underpowered. my CPU runs at 100% usage most of the time even tho i'm not really doing anything... however this may be a mal ware issue.

Definately does not sound right, you can check and see what process is using up your CPU from your task manager and go from there.
    Mr. Cian wrote: »
    The computer DOES NOT include windows office 2007, it only includes a 30 trial version. You have to buy a copy to continue using it

They are never included Office 2007, it is too expensive a package to come bundled with a system when it is not always needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mr. Cian

Kin Mak wrote: »
    Definately does not sound right, you can check and see what process is using up your CPU from your task manager and go from there.

They are never included Office 2007, it is too expensive a package to come bundled with a system when it is not always needed.

The 100% CPU thing is weird and when i open the task manager its constantly clogged up by vista stuff and vaio stuff (which can't be killed!). I just can't seem to make it run any faster and when i do it makes no difference as when you reboot the system you're back to square one...

Also my brothers Studio 15 came with full Windows Office 2007. I'm pretty sure he didn't request it or anything. Also i have a friend who bought an Inspiron 1545 which definitely came with it...

Advertisement