Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Training Sites

Options
  • 12-01-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

I know a review was done before but it may be out of date. Can those with subscriptions give recommendations as it was just briefly discussed when Jman launched his site. Myself and my housemate decided that we would sign up to 2 sites for a year. I have a preference for PLO and he has a preference for holdem.
    • quality of videos
    • quality of instructors
    • new content
    • price/value for money
    • other benefits if any

leggo, cardrunners, pokerswat, deuces cracked etc etc.

what are peoples thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

which housemate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

I'm subbed to deucescracked.

They have a lot of good PLO videos. Reccommend DJ Sensei's and Michaelsc for PLO.

There heads up NL content is the **** just beacause of DOGISHEAD. Plenty of other good heads up content also.

Liked Baluga Whale's series 'The Coaching Tree'. Highly reccomend it for any small/micro stakes 6max NL player.

DJ sensei's midstakes series Freestylin is quite good but a little boring at times. The episodes with Hand History Replayer are the best ones.

Krantz has a couple of high stakes series but i can't really comment as haven't watched them.

Other Reccomendations
    Anything from Foxwood's Fiend, Whitelime and MDM13 Ghost vid's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

lillou wrote: »
    which housemate?

your cousin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

CR's PLO pros are all nitty, boring, and never gonna win loads so i wouldn't bother with it from a PLO POV anyway.

The C Kid wrote: »
    CR's PLO pros are all nitty, boring, and never gonna win loads so i wouldn't bother with it from a PLO POV anyway.

does iggy do videos anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

I have subscriptions to CardRunners, DeucesCracked and LeggoPoker.

Quality of videos:

They're all pretty good at this stage. CardRunners was behind the pack but it's gotten better now.

Quality of instructors:

All the major sites have top pros. You're going to enjoy some more than others. My personal favorites are Aejones (Leggo), Raptor (CR) and BobboFitos (Leggo).

One major difference is that Leggo and DC instructors will respond to questions about the videos on the forums, CR instructors are hit or miss, the top ones generally don't. So that puts Leggo and DC waaaayyy ahead of CR.

New content:

All the sites are putting out at least 7 videos a week so there's never a shortage of content. If you're only interested in higher stakes content you probably need a couple of subscriptions if you have time to watch a lot.

DC and CR do things by series. DC's series are 8 weeks long which can sometimes make series extremely boring when something which could be done in a 4 part series needs to be stretched to 8 weeks (imo). It also sucks when they don't have any series you're interested in. (EDIT: They do have stand alone videos as well though.) CR are using the same format now but have varying lengths of series. Leggo are mostly single videos but instructors sometimes do several parts, they've also announced they'll be producing powerpoint series as well.

CR has a mixture of lots of different games/formats, like PLO, tourney vids, limit, NL etc. With a decent mixture of different stakes. They have the largest video library but almost all the old stuff is completely worthless imo, games play far different and the level of understanding has gone way up. When you see an instructor open limping UTG you realize you're wasting your time.

DC have a mixture of NLHE, limit holdem and PLO. Mainly NLHE and limit although a decent amount of PLO and have started bringing in a bit of SNG and other content (triple draw, Stud, etc.). The NLHE content is mainly focused on small - micro stakes, with no sign up fee the majority of subscribers are micro players so most of the content is tailored towards a basic or maybe intermediate level. They do have high stakes content though with FWF, Krantz, Whitelime, etc.

Leggo are mainly NLHE, they don't have any limit content and have a little PLO and tourney. The content is focused on mid - high stakes as they were the most expensive site for about a year. They've recently removed the sign up fee and brought on a couple of lower stakes instructors though so may be trying to attract smaller stake subscribers as well.

Price/value for money:

DC and Leggo are ~$30 a month with no sign up fee and you get discounts for buying 6 or 12 month packages. If you sign up for a monthly subscription you get a free one week trial.

CR have a $100 sign-up fee and cost about the same per month but have discounts for buying 6/12 month packages. CR have site transfer deals with FT and UB which DC/leggo don't.

DC/Leggo have rakeback deals where if you hit an MGR of $500 per month you get a free month. CR/Stox have a deal with full-tilt which is sort of the same afaik, you can also buy a subscription to CR/Stox with FTP points.

They're all good value compared to the money though.

does iggy do videos anywhere?

Dunno, i know Scoot signed for Leggo the other week.

The C Kid wrote: »
    Dunno, i know Scoot signed for Leggo the other week.

cool, i love his contributions.

cool, i love his contributions.

Yah same, will probably sign up for a month, when i next go busto.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Do all these sites have downloadable videos?
    If so are they encased in DRM?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

bigslick wrote: »

cheers

All of cardrunners videos have DRM protection.

None of DC's videos do so you can watch powerpoint and single tabling videos on ipods, etc.

Leggo's powerpoint and single table videos don't have DRM so you can watch them on ipods, the rest of their videos do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Small Change

bigslick wrote: »

cheers

Can't speak for the others, but Deuces Cracked are all downloadable and there is no DRM.
    They have an option of .wmv of .mp4 files and also have ipod compatible files for the single table/theory vids

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

If you're looking for PLO, Marty Smyth has done some videos for PokerSwat, they're pretty good and he's definitely qualified.

For your housemate, judging by the fact that my Dad beat him recently, maybe Poker for Dummies might be a good first step. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I personally go by the instructers that I like, I have subs for DC. CR, Savvy and recently Leggo.

Here's the coaches I think are good, (I'd love others to ad theirs) as there's loads of filler coaches IMO on all sites.

CardRunners -

CTS - has made 14 vids and the last one was in October.
    Raptor - IMO CR's best instructor, has made 10 vids and the last one was at the start of December (seems to do about 1 a month)
    Stinger - has 71 vids, they are good IMO but can be hit and miss, (15 PLO) used to make 2 a month, but didn't make any in October or November and in December his vids were in a special game against the 5 other CR top guys, and IMO wasn't that great because I don't plan on ever playing in a game with that tough of a line up, but was interesting none the less.

There are a few other decent instructers, such as Vital[myth] had a couple of good vids... but I could be missing some decent instructors, but my favourites don't seem to make much anymore.

Townsend has gone to pot IMO and I rarely even watch his stuff anymore.

Deuces Cracked:
    Krantz - good (NLHE)
    FowwoodsFiend - good (NLHE)
    fslexcduck - good (PLO) - but I don't really watch many PLO vids, just the odd time for a change of pace
    riverboatking (PLO) seems good but I only watched a couple.
    tubasteve and balugawhale are quite decent too IMO, and DJ Sensei has a few PLO's too.

Pokersavvy Plus:

Ansky - IMO the best NLHE instructor across all the sites, has 36 vids and he's the only reason I have my Savvy sub, and I'll be keeping it ahead of CR just for his vids, he usually makes about 2 vids a month, ranging from all levels 6 max and HU and IIRC a couple of MTT's too, but they could be from way back. Also AFAIK there's no DRM on Savvy. ;)

Bond18 is also decent enough for MTT's I sometimes watch them just for entertainment, and jurollo from 2+2 is on here too.

LeggoPoker:

I've only had my Leggo subscription since Xmas when they offered the 1 week trial, from the few vids I've watched,
    AEJones is decent, I wasn't completely blown away though.
    MYNAMEIZGREG IMO their best NLHE instructor - I've watched a few vids of his and I really liked them, although it could be that I just "got" what he was saying as he seemed to play/think the way I do and it was great to listen to him talking and I felt his vids hellped my game alot. He's the reason I decided to extend my 1 week trial.

I haven't watched any of his vids yet, but they have Apathy for PLO (runner up to Marty Smyth in the WSOP and a great 2+2 poster)
    I haven't watched enough to comment further.

I'm going to get Jman's new site at the end of the month when I cancel my CR sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Not sure how good the reviews are but handy in it does give a run down on the content, coaches etc on each site.

http://www.pokertrainingguide.com/

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Thabks for replies guys. Great thread.

Am wondering which site would suit me best. I mainly play low stakes like .10/.20 and low buy in SNG and MTT. Would like to improve my PLO as i just play with tips ive picked up along the way (the main being aces suck lol)

Seems from this thread Leggo would suit me best

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

hopefully next year we, pokerswat, will be considered as an established site like these other sites.

Until that, we are trying to listen to the input we receive from here and other forums on specific videos. We are concentrating alot on PLO, and hope to corner that market pretty soon. With alot of fresh signings on their way over the upcoming 6 months, along with a solid mix of quality across different games - i think that PokerSwat would also merit mentioning at the moment.

We're kicking in with a large push advertising/marketing wise and hopefully should have a few more promotions for everyone to look at. Not trying to side-track the thread, but although at an early stage, def worth a look!

If you're looking for PLO, Marty Smyth has done some videos for PokerSwat, they're pretty good and he's definitely qualified.

never heard of him
    For your housemate, judging by the fact that my Dad beat him recently, maybe Poker for Dummies might be a good first step. :p

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

semibluff wrote: »
    We are concentrating alot on PLO, and hope to corner that market pretty soon.

Very good idea imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭shano_88

im a subscriber to poker vt and i really like. Annette and adam junglen made some really good tourney vids and nick rainey gives some good simple strategys for sit n gos.
    Also with daniel negreau, he explains and teaches small ball and gives an in sight into reading people and tells. Some relly good stuff in there

• Advertisement
Advertisement