Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUE JAN 13 19:15 WES2 Boardeaux The full irish

Options
  • 12-01-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - Yes
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael -
    Keith -
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo -
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark -
    Gar -
    Dave -

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

Must win game tbh. Lose this one and we won't win the league.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - Yes
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael -
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo -
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark -
    Gar -
    Dave -

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - Yes
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo -
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark -
    Gar -
    Dave -

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - Yes
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo - Yes
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark -
    Gar -
    Dave -

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

If we realistically want to win the league, we have to win tomorrow. No excuses!

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - Yes
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo - Yes
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark -
    Gar -
    Dave - Yes

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sockdolage

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - Yes
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo - Yes
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark - Mark
    Gar -
    Dave - Yes

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - Yes
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo - Yes
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter - Yes
    Gav -
    Mark - Mark
    Gar -
    Dave - Yes

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

LOTP wrote: »
    Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - Yes
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo - Yes
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter - Yes
    Gav -
    Mark - Yes
    Gar -
    Dave - Yes

Art -
    Eddie - YES
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

Fecking 7.15 kick-off?! I should be there just after 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - Yes
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo - Yes
    Larry -
    Derek - yes
    Peter - Yes
    Gav -
    Mark - Mark
    Gar -
    Dave - Yes

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nunu wrote: »
    Fecking 7.15 kick-off?! I should be there just after 7.

oh shít.

I got an email about that and forgot to post it
    Hi Lads,

Games in Wesley will move to quarter past the hour instead of half past the hour from next Monday, Jan 12th.

Please recheck your fixture lists for confirmation of your upcoming fixtures.

Regards,

having reviewed our fixture list, it is only affecting this game, our only remaining game in Wesley

looks like it's the new pitch too.

Wes2?

I'll get the texts out in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Good luck in this game tonight lads, hoping for a win to bounce back from last week and get the season back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im in...been sick for the past week but should be ok. as should dan, art, mick and larry but im sure they will confirm with des if there not there. need to win, end of stroy. a win here and we stay in the mix up and then we only have Ravenhill from the top 5 in our next 7 games. massive chance to kick start a run tonight.

Daryl -
    Clayton -yes

Martin - Yes
    Ed -yes
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo - Yes
    Larry -
    Derek - yes
    Peter - Yes

Gav -
    Mark - Mark
    Gar -
    Dave - Yes

Art -yes
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Mark seems to have written Mark beside his name as opposed to yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Des wrote: »
    Daryl -
    Clayton -yes

Martin - Yes
    Ed -yes
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo - Yes
    Larry -
    Derek - yes
    Peter - Yes

Gav -
    Mark - Mark
    Gar -
    Dave - Yes

Art -yes
    Eddie - yes
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

Eddie's a yes as well.

Daryl -
    Clayton -yes

Martin - Yes
    Ed -yes
    Dan - yes
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -yes
    Mick Mc - yes

Lepo - Yes
    Larry - yes

Derek - yes
    Peter - Yes

Gav - no
    Mark - yes
    Gar - no
    Dave - Yes

Art -yes
    Eddie - yes
    Ciaran - yes

Karl -

Lost 3-2. Dunno where to start on this one. Some poor defending, players out of sorts (myself included), lack of concentration. On plus side thought Derek and Dave were excellent going forward and set piece delivery was very good. They had a bit of a height advantage so we struggled to get anything from those. Thought it was a poorer performance than last week even with the result not being quite as bad. We've an almost impossible task to win it now but important we go out last week and just forget about the last 3 games and get on with it. Heads up lads!

strange game and totally different to last week. last week was a fast paced and high tempo game, this weeks was a tough battle played at slow pace against a team who played very direct.last week there was about 20 chances in the game, this week there was far less. we played better and the sad fact is, we led this game with about 12 mins left. up until then, we had been the better team, albeit slighly and were defending superbly. turning point of the game was undoubtably the disallowed goal when we were 1-0 up. shocking decision. they scored from the exact same set piece about 2 mins after it, yes it was bad defending, but these type of goals are scored week in week out in astro and we are not getting enough of them.

second goal came with about 8 mins left, gave away in midfield and not cleared, so was a bad goal to give all around. we pushed forward and they got their 3rd entering the last 2 mins, but am I the only one that noticed that the lad that scored was leaving the field, the sub was on and they he ran back on when he saw the break was on. again, this was a goal on the break and we lost it on the right wing when we had the throw in. simple mistakes are costing us. we pulled back straight away but ran out of time.

so, another game where we didnt deserve to lose but mistakes all over the pitch cost us. an improvement on last week no doubt and alot of positives, but we know that we are alot better than this. so, what are we doing wrong? we have the players. up until last week, we had the best defence in the league, and since then we have conceded 8. that is more than we conceedin in the previous 8 games. we now face an uphill battle, pulling back 6 points will be hard and sad reality is that the 2 teams that have beaten us past 2 weeks, are now in the pole position to win it.lets keep going and just aim to win everygame and leave the other results worry bout themselves. if we go on a good run, the very least we will get is second as all the teams around us will still drop points.

disappointing again, but thats the way its always been with boards, luck deserted us again last night, which is typical.

I have to disagree Ed. We deserved to lose. Not every loss is down to bad luck and dodgy refereeing. They were the better team in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Timmah!

am I the only one that noticed that the lad that scored was leaving the field, the sub was on and they he ran back on when he saw the break was on.
    To clarify, the sub scored the goal and the lad that was leaving the field left the field.
    Good game lads and hard luck, it was a very tense affair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Would agree, last nights game was a much slower game and much more of a battle than last weeks. Thought we started off well but were extremely quiet all over the pitch bar Ed. Great first goal from us and thought we'd go on from there and get another couple. Why the ref disallowed the goal is beyond me. From what I could see Eddie was in front of there defender so how he pushed him I'm not sure.

Then we just fell apart, one of their guys unmarked for the first goal at the post. And then again as we push forward for goals we get hit.

Plenty of games left to put some more points on the board. We have great players but we've made mistakes in the last 2 games that have cost us dearly.

We need to communicate more and take control of games.

My 2 cents...

• Advertisement

Timmah! wrote: »
    To clarify, the sub scored the goal and the lad that was leaving the field left the field.
    Good game lads and hard luck, it was a very tense affair.

as the ball was being played, the 2 of them were on the pitch. one ran off, one ran on and scored the goal straight away. we are talking about 2-3 seconds here.

as the ball was being played, the 2 of them were on the pitch. one ran off, one ran on and scored the goal straight away. we are talking about 2-3 seconds here.

It doesnt matter now Ed we lost, Astro don't have an appeals board:o

As Martin said, the better team won, we made mistakes and they punished us.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I have to disagree Ed. We deserved to lose. Not every loss is down to bad luck and dodgy refereeing. They were the better team in the end.

and not every game is down to being the better team either, this is astro. a team who get stuck in and are well organsised, like oak tree and full irish are, will always do well. we are not physical enough and ive been saying that for 2 years now. we have excellent ball playing and at a higher level, would suit better as teams will leave you play. we have dominated last week and got hammered and dominated against glenwood and still only drew. we are dominating games for the majority but not putting teams away and then conceding late goals. most of our goals conceded have come in the last 10-12 mins of games. 3 last week, 3 last nite.

we are getting caught on the break all the time, teams are sitting back and we cant break them down and then catch us 5/6 on 4/5 with a man over. happened bout 3 times last week and again last nite, though have to say the 2nd goal should not have been allowed to go through.

personally i would like to see us back to 4-4-2 full time unless we are chasing a game.but that is only my opinion and not my decision to make. at times last nite and this has been pointed ourt several times, some lads dont know where they are playing. keep it simple and its a start.

on another note, super goal from ciaran and dave is playing excellently at the moment, we need to use him more.

we are getting caught on the break all the time, teams are sitting back and we cant break them down and then catch us 5/6 on 4/5 with a man over. happened bout 3 times last week and again last nite, though have to say the 2nd goal should not have been allowed to go through.

personally i would like to see us back to 4-4-2 full time unless we are chasing a game.but that is only my opinion and not my decision to make. at times last nite and this has been pointed ourt several times, some lads dont know where they are playing. keep it simple and its a start.

on another note, super goal from ciaran and dave is playing excellently at the moment, we need to use him more.

Would tend to agree with this if we attack and loose possesion there is a massive gap between our attackers, our attacking defensive midfielders (i.e. Martin) and our actual defence. Now the defense could push up more but as was evident last night the opposition always had a man hanging very deep so we had to mark him. When they break its a case of martin and whoever is in ther ewith him having to chase back and it seems as if as ed says the always have a man (or 2) over.

I also think our fitness has taken a couple of steps back in the last 3 games or so.

Ed, this "get stuck in" soundbite is something that annoys me to be honest. Unless you are ridiculously pacey over 2-3 yards (which in fairness none of the midfielders are) then you cannot dive in to a tackle in astro. There's no last ditch sliding tackle to save you. No one is shirking challenges in there. That's the best we can do to be honest. If you dive in with these rules and your man gets a turn on you you're 100% commited and out of the game as a result. If people are pulling out of tackles and stuff like that, that's a whole different story. But can't remember that happening at any stage. We'll win games by playing football, not by trying to be physical when we're clearly not set up to be that type of team.

Ed, this "get stuck in" soundbite is something that annoys me to be honest. Unless you are ridiculously pacey over 2-3 yards (which in fairness none of the midfielders are) then you cannot dive in to a tackle in astro. There's no last ditch sliding tackle to save you. No one is shirking challenges in there. That's the best we can do to be honest. If you dive in with these rules and your man gets a turn on you you're 100% commited and out of the game as a result. If people are pulling out of tackles and stuff like that, that's a whole different story. But can't remember that happening at any stage. We'll win games by playing football, not by trying to be physical when we're clearly not set up to be that type of team.

You raise a good point Martin, If you commit to a challenge and the player side steps or whatever you are out of the game for the next few seconds (presuming said player keeps hold of the ball and doesnt pass it)

Last night we had a lot of players slipping and a few more who went in strong on challenges and end up on their a$$ due to try to make a direction change mid challenge. Astro pitches are not designed for that.

martin, i will explain a point and thats it then. no need for a response.

getting stuck in is not just about being physical. its about being first to the ball, about not being brushed off it, about winning headers, balls that are not intended for you, holding people off and getting the pass off, tacking hard and letting a man know your there, winning second balls and generally not waiting for others to do it for you and not dropping heads when things arent going welll, knowing what to do when ahead. we have players that do both sides of it. ill give one example, dan. in general, dan plays hard and gets stuck in yet he is not a physical player. he is the best player on the team for getting a leg in and you barely see him getting rounded. is he being physical? no, he is putting in the extra few % when he doesnt have the ball and he drives into the oppostion.

lets give an example at a higher level-

rooney and tevez for united V berbatov. all gifted players, but what makes rooney and tevez is their workrate. berbatov, most gifted player on the ball in the premiership but in a tight game against a more physical presence and he will struggle. look at park ji sung also, the lad has no football on him yet hes been uniteds player of the past month? why, cost his work ethic off the ball is unbelieveable and is why in big games, he plays on the right and not ronaldo.

and " we will win by playing football" is nonsense. at a higher level, then yes, you can open up teams but on astro with no tackles, no offsides and some teams who are actually GAA players and just use their strength (and normally have 2/3 excellent players), you need to mix it. we have some excellent players, no need to name them. but sometimes, we need to put more effort in.

this debate can run and run and both sides have merits.

There is no debate, this astro football is not a physical game in anyway. Football is how you win. I'd quit if I thought for one minute we were going out to kick players and play hoofball. Different philosphies and all that. I'm hardly a Messi type character myself but you have to play football in an attractive and effecient way. And saying we need to put more effort in has nothing to do with how you play. If you're not putting effort in you shouldn't be playing. You should be on the bench. Simple as.

. I'd quit if I thought for one minute we were going out to kick players and play hoofball.

please point to where i said we should kick players and play long ball?:confused::confused::confused::confused: your missing my point completly. we need a balance between football and physicality. its not there at the moment. we played all the football in the world last week and lost 5-1.

• Advertisement

I'm hardly a Messi type character myself

I would disagree :D

Lads if we put as much effort in playing ball and sticking it in the onion sack as we do analysing our faults we might be in a better position.

As you both have pointed out, neither physicality or pure skill will win the astro league it's a combination on both. We have both very skillful players and physically dominant players. We have players who are loud and players who are quiet, we have players who like to take on the opposition and players who prefer to pass through the opposition. We have players who's heads will drop at 2-0 and we have players who will keep going until the fall over and are unable to move.

Moreover we are 11 individual players, if we play as a team we will win as a team *

*this may not always happen

Whast for certain if we play as 11 invidual players we will not win.
    We have dug ourselves into a hole and we need to play as a team and be there for each other * to get out of it. If that means running yourself into the ground for 60 mins or doing Ronaldoesque type flicks it makes no difference do it for the team, do it for the 3 points and do it to move us up the table.
    * not in the ghey way..

Anyway on reflection, we've got a game next week. We need to win and we will win end of.

Advertisement