Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioinformatics Phd in UCD

Options
  • 12-01-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, is anyone here doing the structured Phd in bioinformatics in UCD? I'd just like a little more information on what its like and what the requirements are(the website is a little vague). Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 theharbinger

hi I am involved in administering the PhD programme drop an email to bioinfo@ucd.ie and just ask if you want more information of a particular kind.

The programme is quite broad, we have students coming from all sorts of backgrounds (biology, statistics, maths, engineering, computer science, physics, chemistry). They have two supervisors one in a computational field one in an experimental field and they spend some time getting training working in a wet lab as well as doing computer analysis. There is funding for four years. http://bioinformatics.ucd.ie/PhD closing date for this round of applications is currently 30th March.

So far students seem really happy with the programme (would they lie to me?) , this is the third year we have students joining. It gives good opportunities to to learn new skills outside your undergraduate speciality and to spend some time working in industry for experience, and travelling abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

I've been thinking about this too. The biggest problem I have is that 4 years is a long time to commit to something I know nothing about. I'd like to learn about evolutionary biology though, it looks really interesting particularly the role viruses play in evolution.Not sure if they even do that research.

I didn't even do leaving cert biology.It's not that I don't believe I'll be able to learn, it's that I don't know enough about it to know if I'm interested.

I don't even have time to read one book about it though.....it's 4 years.....I don't know anything about it!It maybe best not to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sparkles

Hello,

The deadline for e-mail applications for this course is 30th March but are written applications accepted after this date? At the end of the application form a closing date of 15th of April is written-does this apply to 2009 submissions?

I would like to apply but realise now that it is too late for e-mail applications.

Thanks,
    S

We are accepting late applications:) the earlier they are received the more likely candidates are to be called for interview. There is a round of interviewing currently scheduled for 3,4,5 June 09
    http://bioinformatics.ucd.ie/PhD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sparkles

Thanks for you reply, theharbinger. I've sent in my application now. Do you know when candidates will be invited to interview?

Thanks
    S

• Advertisement

Hi

applications that came in on time have already received replies those coming in later like yours it will depend on when there is a chance to review them enquire at bioinfo@ucd.ie if you dont get a reply within two weeks.

Advertisement