Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool prices- comparing Dick/ Dieter Schmidt and Axminster

Options
  • 12-01-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Looking at some quality tools online at the moment and I'm doing my homework. I've bought from all 3 of the above in the past but it just seems that Axminster can't be beaten at the moment. I'm looking for a quality plane (Clifton/ LN) and some measuring tools. Dick tools do a lovely catalogue but you couldn't buy from them, their books are way overpriced also...Anyone know of any other good value quality handtool sellers with a web presence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

Jack-of-all,
    I don't know anybody on this side of the atlantic that would have a better range than the three you listed. I shop with Dick, mostly because of the great shipping price. I have never paid more than 15 euro for shipping and my last order was a #8 jointer, #5 1/2 fore plane and a bunch of clamps so the box was pretty heavy.

Sorry I couldn't be more help Jack-of-all.

--
    Alan
    Ireland/Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Cheers Alan, I reckoned I had the 3 top names alright it's good to know I'm not missing out on anything. Axminster's delivery charge is pretty good value too I thought, the postman was grumbling the last time I took a delievery from them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gwhite

Have been buying from axminster for the past 5 years and very rarely would I find theM and very rarely if ever do I find a cheaper price for hand tools. They also so only charge £10 for delivery on orders up to 30kg and £35 up to 60kg. If you sign up for there email list they also send you special offers and occasionaly send you a code for a 10% discount on any one tool. I think i got sent one of these a few days ago but deleted the email so if any one has the discount code and could cend it on to me would be much appreciated. Am thing of buying a Lie Nelson plane and 10% would make a nice difference. I checked prices of them in lots of places and websites but again found axminster the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

hi gwhite, i didn't realise axminsters shipping was that low, i did order a vice screw off them and i was charged £10 for delivery, i thought that was just the delivery for that item. I will look more closely and engage my brain the next time :)

--
    Alan
    Ireland/Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Yeah Alan, Axminster have a tiered shipping charge, so often times it makes sense to "buy more" to get more value out of the the shipping charge! I've combined my order with that of a family member in the past in order to minimise the impact of the shipping charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I have always found Axminster pretty good for delivery. Usually it's £10 for a single order, on only a few occasions has it been more expensive, and that was for heavy machines, i.e 100's of KG and on pallets, or else very big orders in several big boxes.

Interestingly the lads in the UK consider Axminster a little overpriced... but then they can choose other UK suppliers with free delivery. For us here I think Axminster are very good, I haven't bought a tool off a Irish company, besides LIDL, for quite a while... unpatriotic?, perhaps.... but you have to shop around and not encourage high prices here and lack of online presence.

Dick do seem to be good too but I don't really buy the types of things they sell and so have never ordered from them. I think €15 is excellent from Germany.

Axminster Email Discounts!!! If you have lost the code for the 10% reduction you don't need it.. when you go to check out and pay it comes up as an option.. which you check for 10% off one item, no code required. Unfortunately the last email offer ran out on Sunday so it's gone. Definitely worth signing up for the newsletter as 10% off a larger item can be very good.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've used all of the following, in addition to the ones you mention, and have found them all to be very good. Prices can vary significantly between them though so no single one of them is the best value each time:

www.leevalley.com
    - Canada, they make the Veritas range of tools (which are excellent) and usually have the best price for them too. Shipping costs are reasonable but you have to allow for VAT and import duty - even then they sometimes work out cheaper than other sources.

www.rutlands.co.uk
    - Their prices are often better than Axminster's and they stock a slightly different range which can be handy. Their Dakota range, in my experience, is just a re-badging of some other brands and I have found them to be pretty good generally.

www.dmtools.co.uk
    - They sometimes have good offers on various power tools.

www.classichandtools.com
    - Based in UK. As the name suggests, they do hand tools only.

www.rockler.com
    - Based in US. A very wide range, and shipping is reasonable, but factor in VAT and import duty.

www.woodcraft.com
    - Based in US. A very, very extensive range, but shipping can be pricey. Again, factor in VAT and import duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/

These guys make an amazing bandsaw blade called the 'woodslicer'. 0.6mm veneers straight out of the box onto the saw and no fettling.

Advertisement