Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad CD recommendations...

Options
  • 11-01-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I'm often asked by Americans and English for recommendations on what 1 traditional irish CD to buy. I never know what to suggest.

Can you suggest an album I can buy (preferably on iTunes) of Trad stuff (instrumental only - no voice). The kind of "diddleye" style stuff if you know what i mean! Excuse my ignorance!:D Jigs, reels and hornpipes I suppose!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭granite man

any bothy band or planxty or my personal favourite Matt Molloys black album. You won't go far wrong with any of these :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bugs4rent.com

I'm often asked by Americans and English for recommendations on what 1 traditional irish CD to buy. I never know what to suggest.

Can you suggest an album I can buy (preferably on iTunes) of Trad stuff (instrumental only - no voice). The kind of "diddleye" style stuff if you know what i mean! Excuse my ignorance!:D Jigs, reels and hornpipes I suppose!

Frankir Gavin and Bohemian Rhapsody are very good. They are playing in Cork this weekend. Frankie is one of the best Traditional Irish musicians in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Hope you don't mind artvandulet, but I was going to start a thread like this but seeing as yours is here I thought I might post in it.

I've recently been trying to get into trad. I've bought some planxty albums and thought they were absolutely brilliant but I've got no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Dervish are very good.

CSC wrote: »
    Dervish are very good.

Are they the group that were at the eurovision a couple of years back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Are they the group that were at the eurovision a couple of years back?

Yes though that performance wouldn't be a good reflection on their work. They are from Sligo and one of the most well known trad groups in Ireland.

CSC wrote: »
    Yes though that performance wouldn't be a good reflection on their work. They are from Sligo and one of the most well known trad groups in Ireland.

I must check them out so, cheers :)

Advertisement