Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITT social life

Options
  • 11-01-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

was thinkin bout goin to itt next year and was wonderin wats the social life like and if anyone does mechanical engineering there wats the course like and what are the people who do it like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

scottless wrote: »
    was thinkin bout goin to itt next year and was wonderin wats the social life like and if anyone does mechanical engineering there wats the course like and what are the people who do it like.

The hours will be long as in they'll be alot more than other courses for first year an other years. If it would bother you, You'll probably have two girls or something in your whole year. From my experience the social life is brutal in Tallaght but people will say its what you make of it. In your course as far as im aware you do these practical sessions called labs in either cookstown or killinarden. The course would be maths based, dont worry about not having honours maths, it would be an advantage to have it but put the head down with the books every now and again and you'll be grand. Just out of interest, why are you choosing mech engineering?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 scottless

i dont know ha i kinda like cars and mechanics ya know so it just seems kinda interesting but i still dont really know wat i wanna do so im kinda just pickin it so i have sumin t put on my cao form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

im currently studying mech eng in tallaght and the course itself has changed this year so if you are putting a selection on your cao you might want to check out which ohe to put down. because as of sept gone if you are doing the higher cert you cannot go on to do the honours degree they have bascailly dropped alot of the hours and alot of the maths. so choose carefully. best bet is probably to put the abinitio 3yr degree as your choice with this you can go on to do honours. Wouldnt worry about the maths its possible to have basic maths and still get through the first three years. As i did!
    socail life as with anywhere you go is what you make of it but i would say its fairly active in tallaght there is a pub at the front gate so dont have far to walk and always someone going over. and as mentioned there are some labs that take place in whitestown which is in killinarden but thats nothing to worry about ten minute walk from colege and your not up there till second year..
    Hope you enjoy the course if you choose to take it and all the best.
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

The social side of things in Tallaght is pretty much non-existent. There are pubs and clubs around, but they're full of idiots to be honest.

I studied mechanical engineering in I.T. Tallaght up to Ordinary Degree level. I can't fault the course at all. There's a lot of focus on the practical and tutorial side of things, unlike most universities who tend to spend most of their time teaching theory. The class sizes are small too so you get a lot of individual attention, that's a big benefit. The college is brilliant, the course is quality (I really enjoyed it anyway) and the lecturers are excellent.

I finished in the college last year. Since then, I've landed my dream job - car tuning company (TDP)!

I honestly wouldn't let the social life be a factor in choosing a college. Tallaght's only twenty mins away from town on the Luas or the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 scottless

how did you land that job thats pretty much what i want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bmwlover

There's always socials on... Just had Rag Week last week! Mental :P

And there's usually one every 3 or 4 weeks, normally on a Wednesday!
    And of course there's the Metro, which is always open! Great student bar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shinequa

ITT is a brilliant college!! great social life!! depends what you make of it for yourself!! metro up the road is great!!

Advertisement