Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring??

Options
  • 11-01-2009 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have been away studying primary teaching for almost two years now only across the water in Wales.
    I wish I genuinley felt that way about it. To cut a long story short Im quite homesick. I would have trained at home only I fell short of the points required.
    I found it difficult when I first came and even after making some great friends, taking up other interests and looking after myself in general. Now, I am physically tired of it. I gave it a chance and embraced the experience because I wanted to be positive about it.
    I feel I given it a good shot and if there was a way of transferirng home optional then I think I would take it.
    I am doing very well in my course. I am happy to get on and make the most of the rest of the year. I haven't had any bad experiences here and there is nothing tremendous going on at home. I talk myself round every with this but I wake up the next morning with a dim feeling.

I have to either get on with it or do something to change it.
    So recommended to me by a respected ex-principle and director on the board, I did. During the summer I mailed a course director in an irish training college to see if I could transfer into 2nd year of the course at home. They had never come across this query before and were keen to look into it. I have honours irish and a year of my course completed with above average results. It was possible to catch up on the amount of gaelacht weeks. It was looking positive untill the final answer came back. It would be possible to transfer, if I obtained the cao points for that the year of entry for that year group as that would be fair to other students who applied in that year. I was grateful for the support in looking into my case, but gutted.

However, I will be 23 starting my 3rd year in september so I will be considered a mature student. I believe mature students are exempt from the points system. I will have two years behind me and 10 weeks teaching practise. I really don't want to come across annoyingly persistent after their help but I feel that their numbers in the year group may have dropped as there are always people who decide teaching is not for them. I'm not intending taking anyone's place who could potentially get on the course just replacing someone . I've taken the inniative to train elsewhere in the meantime if the points system is getting in the way when it isn't relative, its a shame.
    Do I have a case or am I going to get a 2nd kick in the teeth by setting myself up to ask again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lizzie8

Yikes thats a tough one..is the course in wales similiar to our course?Is it the same amount of years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ak6879

yeah, your tellin' me :S Thanks for the reply.
    Well we can do three or four years. We have to reach a higher standard quicker if we do three. I have sent them transcripts and course modules in the summer, they came back to me saying I could transfer if I got the required points. Now, unless that was a nice way of telling me no but why not just tell me it isn't possible if they were just passing it off.

Ive actualy sent the email a week today and haven't heard anything. If they did just give me the points excuse thiking it would be the easiest way to say no then they have put themselves in it, as Im a mature student now so they don't have that excuse.

Im not sure... Its the fact they were so open to it or so they seemed. I just want some sort of closure so I can get on with it here or .... transfer.
    Where are you training yourself ?

Advertisement