Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a wireless broadband box fm Eircom?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

hey all,
    I've had an eircom (wired) Netopia box since I had Broadband installed, either 3 or 4 years ago.
    What I do remember was I was the first in the town to be connected.

Anyway, i was using a wrt54 for wireless for a long time, but it died this year.

Since all new Eircom customers bb boxen now seem to come with wireless, is there any way to get eircom to change my bb box for a wireless enabled one? God know they've taken enough money off me to more than pay the cost.

Regards
    Donal

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DonalB wrote: »
    hey all,
    I've had an eircom (wired) Netopia box since I had Broadband installed, either 3 or 4 years ago.
    What I do remember was I was the first in the town to be connected.

Anyway, i was using a wrt54 for wireless for a long time, but it died this year.

Since all new Eircom customers bb boxen now seem to come with wireless, is there any way to get eircom to change my bb box for a wireless enabled one? God know they've taken enough money off me to more than pay the cost.

Regards
    Donal

And new cars come with upgraded features and new teles are better than the one you bought five years ago too! So the manufacturers give out new models to old customers all the time:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

And your default settings is rudeness & ignorance?

Look at the question. I didn't say they should replace it. I asked was there a way to get it replaced? What would it be replaced with should it have, let us say, an accident, or stopped working?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

And your default settings is rudeness & ignorance?

Look at the question. I didn't say they should replace it. I asked was there a way to get it replaced? What would it be replaced with should it have, let us say, an accident, or stopped working?

If it stopped working you would require a new "DSL router". Since you want wireless built in you would want to get a "Wireless DSL router".

You can get them from any computer store.

As for how to get eircom to give you a new free one, I don't know if there's a special codeword you can say to them but you could try calling them and just asking would they give you one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I've got the wired netopia aswell and I've tried ringing them twice to try and get a free wireless modem but to no avail, €97 for a Netopia one from them I think was the price they said so you're better off going somewhere like PC World or Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

give 1901 a bell and see what they can do there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

Doesn't matter how long you've been with them, or how much money you've given them, Eircom will still charge you for a replacement wireless router (around €95 last time I checked).
    You can pick up brand new unwanted eircom wireless routers on adverts.ie for €30 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I've got the wired netopia aswell and I've tried ringing them twice to try and get a free wireless modem but to no avail, €97 for a Netopia one from them I think was the price they said so you're better off going somewhere like PC World or Argos

If your modem is broken or if you have the old cayman 3300 (3341, has a usb connector on the back and only one ethernet port) 1890260260 will send you a replacement.

In the case of the 3341 just say all the light are on, you are connected using the lan cable and its getting a 192 address but you cannot access the router page (192.168.1.254) from within your web browser. Make sure to say that proxies are not enabled. The thing is so old no one knows how to trouble shoot it any more :p. With a "broken" modem just say all of the ethernet lights are staying on permanently and you have nothing connected to the port. Reset the modem, reboot the modem and you should get a replacement.
    TGi666 wrote: »
    give 1901 a bell and see what they can do there

That will get you no where unless you cry on the line and say you are leaving (which is a viable option if you really want a router :P)

Thanks all. I do indeed have the 3341, (I believe I was the first person in town to get broadband the morning they upgraded the exchange). Lastangryman particularly, I appreciate the response.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

You are completely entitled to a free of charge router, eircom under contract are obliged to supply users with a new box every 2 years. The only reason I know this is that my girlfriend works for eircom and she gives them out all the time.

Also I was in the same situation only a month ago and I got a replacement router free of charge, I just rang up told the girl that I wanted a wireless router for my laptop as a I had the wired on, she said "yes Mr.Byrne I'll process that for you now". At the end of it all I asked will I be charged (just to make sure) and she said no that I was fully entitled to one.

Hi all,
    the update is that I rang today. The first hurdle was I'm running Linux which they don't support (not that it mattered since I wasn't interested in playing with tech support). I telnetted into the box fine to please them, (didn't think I could use the excuse I couldn't) but did tell them I couldn't access router admin page via web. Their first response was they couldn't do anything, that didn't matter if I was connecting with an IP addr, if I wasn't running Mac or Wins OS.
    I pointed out this was irrelevant since there was a "hardware" fault..."all lights on" as suggested. They said they couldn't replace the box though it is 4 years old.
    I tried a few times and eventually told them that the USB light was solid on thought no USB device was connected, and they relented.
    Box coming out by courier. Yes I'm sure I could have bought a cheap box, but due to unemployment hat's an expense not needed.
    Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Hi all,
    the update is that I rang today. The first hurdle was I'm running Linux which they don't support (not that it mattered since I wasn't interested in playing with tech support). I telnetted into the box fine to please them, (didn't think I could use the excuse I couldn't) but did tell them I couldn't access router admin page via web. Their first response was they couldn't do anything, that didn't matter if I was connecting with an IP addr, if I wasn't running Mac or Wins OS.
    I pointed out this was irrelevant since there was a "hardware" fault..."all lights on" as suggested. They said they couldn't replace the box though it is 4 years old.
    I tried a few times and eventually told them that the USB light was solid on thought no USB device was connected, and they relented.
    Box coming out by courier. Yes I'm sure I could have bought a cheap box, but due to unemployment hat's an expense not needed.
    Thanks for the help.

Wow! You either got someone who was having a bad day or who did not know what they were doing. In fairness the mention of linux can throw a few. I am surprised they bothered to try and troubleshoot while you had linux and a 3341!

By the way, I just checked and you can get a free modem after two years but from customer care :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Told ya :), its handy getting it free instead of spending the money, if ur entitled to it why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I work for eircom and just to clarify. if it breaks down its a free replacement. if your equipment is old its free

Advertisement