Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amplifying 3 speeds

Options
  • 11-01-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I go to a boarding school that has no internet connection of its own so each student that can afford it has their own mobile broadband. One of my friends recently placed their 3g dongle inside an empty roses tin,using the tn like a satellite reciever. He says it boosts his speeds.

Has anybody else heard about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I go to a boarding school that has no internet connection of its own so each student that can afford it has their own mobile broadband. One of my friends recently placed their 3g dongle inside an empty roses tin,using the tn like a satellite reciever. He says it boosts his speeds.

Has anybody else heard about this?
    what kind of pre-historic nickolas nickolby school has no internet connection??

some people have reported in the three megathread that using something like a biscuit tin or metal colander had improved their signal and speeds but that was many months ago

there are also antennae for some of the usb modems, a google search should find some.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

foggy_lad wrote: »
    what kind of pre-historic nickolas nickolby school has no internet connection??

some people have reported in the three megathread that using something like a biscuit tin or metal colander had improved their signal and speeds but that was many months ago

there are also antennae for some of the usb modems, a google search should find some.

I'd imagine they do but perhaps maybe not in the student accommodation? :)
    Different items such as those mentioned can help signals same as having your modem beside the likes of a mirror can block the signal that bit/.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Improving signal may increase speed, but only if the signal was bad and only if there are not many users on your mast sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

My school has not had any infrasturctural renovations since it was built in the 1950s really. But in the room I am in now I'm getting 1.2mbps. Its the fastest I have gotten here though. I've used all the mobile variations. The best is the o2 one though. Perfect for xbox live etc since there is virtually no loag. Even my connection at home has lag.

Advertisement