Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gate kits

Options
  • 11-01-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

I am after hanging my 2 wrought iron gates today and have them swinging freely, nice and
    level and not catchting each other when closing.
    The opening between the piers is 12ft and the gates are 11 feet in total and I hung them
    both on 3 inch square box iron, I am now looking to automate them.
    Looking online I saw a site www.quiko.ie and I see a kit here
    http://www.quiko.ie/Swing_gate_kit_5_Meters_p/qk-r300kit.htm for €495 inc of vat and delivered
    and it says it will do a gate up to 2.5 metres per gate, has anyone used quiko kit before or can you
    recommend a kit?
    I have power ran out to the gates from the house and an underground pipe between both gates to
    link them, I also ran out a coax cable and a another cable from my electrician with 24 wires in it.
    The quiko kits includes 2 remotes - should I look at getting an intercom too or just a keypad for
    the gate?, the gate is close to the house so i can see who is at it so I dont really need to have
    an intercom but a keypad is handy.
    Are keypads safe - i am worried they could be used to bypass and open the gate?
    http://www.quiko.ie/Access_control_keypad_p/qk-txtf.htm

Heres my gate:
    Gate1.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Key pads are safe and a great idea, you could use a key switch if you liked the idea of a key over the keypad.

I have an intercom at mine and all it is used for is a bell, i hear it and look out to see who it is, people dont like talking into them anyway, but i use the intercom phoneset to open the gate from inside, not a remote.

I never heard of Quiko kits so i can't comment, sorry. Faac units are very popular, part made in ireland and they are what many of the professionals use, plus if they break you'll get parts, but they are very reliable, typically with motors you need to get someting decent, cheap stuff can be under rated (electrically) and can burn out with normal use in a short period of time.

I'd just like to point out that I'm not putting the quiko stuff in a cheapo box, I don't know anything about them. They seem to have been around for a long a while (as per the web site you listed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

just looking at your pics think your gona have to take the gates down again thats if your putting in frogs(motors in ground).www.vazumo.com/companydetails/74198/Nice+Automatic+Gates - 11k .they have a outlet in dublin its good a system aswell very easy too use you could wire it up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks for the replys, I am going to go for an overground kit.
    @Stoner - what sort of a price range are the Faac kit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I am going to go for an overground kit.
    You have to now really (too late for underground). The overground are not as good, but your gates look quite light, so it should not be a problem.

I used the FAAC systems and found them OK, but not fantastic. I would suggest that you buy a larger box for the gate control gear, the one that comes with it has little room for all of the cables and does not stay water proof when you have all the cables in it. Le Grand make some good cheap IP65 boxes. They also make good intercoms that are well up to the job for small money.

I generally put a socket into the box that contains all of the control gear and plug the gate controller into the socket. This makes isolating the gate motors and control gear a simple task and it means that you have a handy socket at your gates for maintenance work. It is very easy to short something when working on it. You will find the control wiring operates at 24 volts, this can be used to power the ACT keypad. A radio reciever card must be bought seperatly and plugged into the mother board for the remotes to work.
    I also ran out a coax cable and a another cable from my electrician with 24 wires in it.
    RG59 is the standard coax cable for CCTV and a 5 pair polly/polly is the standaard cable for many analogue intercom systems.
    Key pads are safe and a great idea
    The ACT keypad is good quality and popular.
    cheap stuff can be under rated (electrically) and can burn out with normal use in a short period of time.
    +1

Roughly what sort of money should I be paying then for a proper setup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

between 800-1100 euro should get you all the parts.also a lot of the gate company have deals going at the moment so shop around.try keep the intercom simple as you can ,a two wire system should do it,what way are the gates gona open

The gates are opening inwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

jamesd wrote: »
    The quiko kits includes 2 remotes - should I look at getting an intercom too or just a keypad for
    the gate?, the gate is close to the house so i can see who is at it so I dont really need to have
    an intercom but a keypad is handy.
    Are keypads safe - i am worried they could be used to bypass and open the gate? a keypad is invaluable as you wont always have your remotes on you. make sure to mount it in a spot that's accessible from inside and outside the gate
    if someone wants to open your gate they will, keypad or not. locks are for honest people.
    You have to now really (too late for underground). The overground are not as good, but your gates look quite light, so it should not be a problem.
    overground systems are just as good if not better than underground systems except cosmetically. underground systems need good drainage to survive irish weather.
    As regards cheap automation... you get what you pay for in this area, i work manufacturing and automating gates and easily 30% of our business is replacing sh!t automation that was installed by cack handed electricians who are nowhere to be found once payment is cleared.

the most common intercom system is the basic comelit kit, you'll pick one up in any electrical factors for under 60 quid
    http://www.entrancecontrolsystems.com/Product5.html simple to wire up

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

echomadman wrote: »
    cack handed electricians .

Do they get their own rate? are they above or below a charge hand?

Can anyone recommend a good make of kit that I can purchase and install myself then either online or from a supplier that will post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭yarglags

National Automation, www.aos.ie, are the Irish agents for Faac. They have a trade counter in Boyle and Citywest.

If you decide to use a keypad, don't use part of your telephone number for the code.

If this is the only entrance you have to think about how to handle visitors like the postman or Chinese delivery dude.

Have Fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Helen.science

Hi there! We bought a house with two sets of electric gates - we used to have electro automation service them, but the charge is astronomical. Now I am told one of the gates needs a new motor etc put in.Can anyone recommend someone who would do it and how much it should cost.
    Helen - based in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

I have installed that exact kit from quiko.

Easy enough to wire up and setup etc.

I put a green push button on the outside of the pillar for visitors to open the gates. Directly behind it I had a key switch which can isolate the green push button if required(ie when going away for extended periods etc etc)

The motors themselves and the sensors and all are easy enough to do and well explained in the manuals.

As I remember there was only on set of photocells so oredering a second set is a good idea.

Now for the bad bits.
    1. The brackets that come with the kit for mounting the motors are in a word crap. They give you a flat piece of steel which anyone knows cannot be mounted to a pillar to mount the motor. I made my own which actually worked out better as I was able to suit the geometery of the pillars/gates in question. This geometry is very important to get these overground kits working properly. It is again all explained quite well in the manuals.
    2. To attach the motor to the gate itself, again you will need to do a bit of fabrication. In my case, as I was attaching to timber gates, I welded up 2 bits of steel to attach to the gates with bolts, washers etc and then had a piece of box stell welded across that to attach the motor. Again this motor attachment had to be welded to the box.
    It all worked out well in the end and when painted up looked quite good.

One problem that has occured and this may be my own fault is that one leaf of the gate sometimes keeps closing out a bit further on every operation till it eventually breaks the beam and keeps opening & closing. I set the mechanical limits as good as I could, i think it's to do with the fact that they are timber gates and have a bit of give in them. has anyone any ideas on that?

Anyway the quiko stuff seems to be all right. Don't know what after sales is like or availability of parts or anything!!!!

I have attached a sketch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 darren atticastatic

removed again

OP there is suppliers list here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67859645&posted=1#

Regards

Stoner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wollyolsh

I have two 6.5ft open wooden gates fastened to stone clad pillars that I want to make automatic. I have been told that it will have to be an underground kit due to the pillars being stoneclad. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Also, any ideas if it is any better to get the kits from the internet and get an electrician to install it rather than going through an actual company that will supply and do it? Anyone know any reputable internet companies in Ireland/Northern Ireland that I could look up the cost of kits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BFT Automation

wollyolsh wrote: »
    I have two 6.5ft open wooden gates fastened to stone clad pillars that I want to make automatic. I have been told that it will have to be an underground kit due to the pillars being stoneclad. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Also, any ideas if it is any better to get the kits from the internet and get an electrician to install it rather than going through an actual company that will supply and do it? Anyone know any reputable internet companies in Ireland/Northern Ireland that I could look up the cost of kits?

You are far better having an experienced installer fit your automation. This is especially true for an underground system as it requires the foundation boxes to be fitted properly with drainage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ejmacs

I have 2 homes,one here in the USA and the other in Knock Co Mayo. I need to have an electric gate installed in Knock. I want to do business as local as possible, with people I can count on and of course get a reasonable price. If you know who, let me know or have them contact me. Thanks, E J

mod Edit: elmacs I removed your e mail address from the post, people can use the PM function to contact you.

Also have a look at the find a contractor thread here and in the home security forum, you might find someone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 John or

Hi there, I have faac gates; and two remote control all in good working order. However for some reason my keycom (key pad) has stopped working. I have checked the keypad and it appears dry, wires insitu and insect free. Can anybody aid and advise me with this, please.

Advertisement