Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child Friendly/Safe Online Chess Site?

• 11-01-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've started playing Chess with my 7 year old son and am amazed at how much he enjoys it, how quickly he's getting into it, his appetite for playing it (I had to download a Chess game to my phone for him to play when we're in the car etc) and how much fun we have together playing Chess.

Whilst I enjoy playing with him I am not a player of any sort of standard, I've never studied openings or strategy etc so I'd like him to get exposed to a variety of players and not be restricted by my own limitations.

Can anyone recommend a good online website suitable for kids where they can learn and play in a safe environment? Also, is there a site where he and I could play a game online when he is at home and I am in the office or stuck in a hotel when I'm travelling for work?

Finally, are there any chess clubs in the Stillorgan area people would recommend which he could join?

All input and suggestions greatly appreciated as ever from the Boards community!!

Regards,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Hi,
    I think most of us play correspondence chess on RedHotPawn.com and blitz on Free Internet Chess Server or FICS, the beauty of correspondence is you can analyse your game and submit your move, you have at least a day to move. This might be a bit tedious for a 7 year old so maybe buy Deep Fritz for your PC and set it up to play at a low standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

BenEadir wrote: »
    Finally, are there any chess clubs in the Stillorgan area people would recommend which he could join?
    Hi Ben,

St Benildus are the only club in the Stillorgan area (Kilmacud to be precise; Lower Kilcamud Rd in St Benildus College surprisingly enough :P). It is an adult club that play in the Leinster Leagues but there is a large junior section, from about 10 years old +, though the majority of the kids would be 13-14. I'd only recommend trying it out if he is particularly advanced for his age.

I'd say your best bet though is get in contact with your local library to see if there are any junior clubs in the area. Ballyroan library in Rathfarnham used to do have chess lessons for juniors on Saturday mornings but I don't know if they still run. 4941900 is there number if you want to make enquiries.

As for chess programmes I'd get something from the Chessmaster series as they have exercises specifically for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks all, some great info and suggestions as ever from the Boards community.

Regards,

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Hi Ben,

St Benildus are the only club in the Stillorgan area (Kilmacud to be precise; Lower Kilcamud Rd in St Benildus College surprisingly enough :P). It is an adult club that play in the Leinster Leagues but there is a large junior section, from about 10 years old +, though the majority of the kids would be 13-14. I'd only recommend trying it out if he is particularly advanced for his age.

I'd say your best bet though is get in contact with your local library to see if there are any junior clubs in the area. Ballyroan library in Rathfarnham used to do have chess lessons for juniors on Saturday mornings but I don't know if they still run. 4941900 is there number if you want to make enquiries.

As for chess programmes I'd get something from the Chessmaster series as they have exercises specifically for kids.

there also used to be a junior club in the Scout hall in Booterstown. If you don't mind a short drive Rathmines has a very good adult (ie adults and children, maybe slightly less juniors than at St Benildus) club which is very welcoming to newcomers and casual players. Any club will maybe be a little intimidating for a 7 year old at first but it is worth a try.

There are also chess camps for juniors aged 7-13 or so run by Grandmaster Alex Baburin and his friend Michael Crowe. These take place sporadically in South Dublin during breaks from school, usually in Railway Union or St Benildus or sometimes Booterstown. There will probably be one during midterm break in the third week of February: if you want to be added to a mailing list email ababurin ~#~~AT~&~~ iol.ie and he will let you know when they happen.

There are lots of online sites: as mentioned freechess.org is excellent for live games and redhotpawn is adequate for correspondence games which he may not have the attention span for. They are reasonably well moderated and "safe" for children but I couldn't recommend using any of them without adult supervision. As for a program you could download, I've never been a fan of the Chessmaster games but I have heard good things about Fritz and Chesster from Chessbase who are the leaders in chess software publishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Roundtower, thanks for the info. I've emailed Alex Baburin ref the chess camp in Benildus and will probably order a copy of Fritx and Chesster.

One more thing if anyone knows. Is there an application I can download which I could load onto both my home PC and my work laptop which would allow my son and I to play when we are both online, particularly if I'm working late or travelling? I'd like something which was 'closed' to just the two of us and not open to others to start inviting him for games and chat etc? I know I sound paranoid but I've been a web user long enough to know there are a lot of weirdos out there!!

Regards,

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

it's definitely possible because I googled it and got some suggestions, but I've never used any program that could do it so I can't recommend anything specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 T3h-Slayer

i thinks you can play on gameknot.com. there are good players there and he'll improve quickly and you will also be able to play against him and there are also monthly tournaments and mini-tournaments so, its just great.

Advertisement