Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a decent home appliance brand?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

looking for a public opinion on
    fridge freezers
    dishwashers
    cookers
    washing machines
    tumble dryers
    and the likes

what would be a decent enough brand to buy within mid-price range..?
    I always thought Bosch, Whirlpool, Electrolux to be them, am I mistaking?

Info based on experiences would be great. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, some Electrolux washers and dishwashers come with a full 5-year warranty at the moment, so would be worth looking at. All my appliances atm are Electrolux, primarily because of the 5yr warrarnty on everything (except oven and hob). The 5 yr warranty is no longer available on 'Lux fridges though. No problems with any yet, though they're less than a year old yet, and too early to tell.

Talking to a service engineer, he says that Whirlpool or Bosch are good, as long as you spend a bit extra on the mid range products. The cheaper models have lots of corners cut and more likely to break down.

Whirlpool offer 8 year parts warranty on nearly all their products. Bosch offer 5 year parts warranty, maybe 5 years parts+lab on higher spec machines.

Also worth considering is Siemens, which is part of the same company as Bosch (BSH), who have 5 year parts+lab warranties too on some models.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mndgz

thats pretty much what I was thinking...
    Siemens is a bit on the dear side so I'd say I'll stick with Bosch or Electrolux/Zanussi...
    heard Hotpoint supposed to be very good but for some reason I just dont trust it...

using a Whirlpool dishwasher, fridge freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer myself for the last 4 years now, everything seems to be ok except the washing machine is starting to play up a bit..

leaning towards Bosch at the moment, would anyone know have they a service centre of sorts in the republic as regards warranty?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

mndgz wrote: »
    leaning towards Bosch at the moment, would anyone know have they a service centre of sorts in the republic as regards warranty?

I'm having my Bosch hob repaired tomorrow (there's a 2 year warranty on it). When I phoned to organise it I was put through to a place in the UK which deals with a few electrical appliance companies - Neff and Bosch are two of them, I can't remember the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

Bosch is the best of the mid range appliances. Dont be fooled by Neff they are the exact same as Bosch appliances only more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

My experience with Bosch is quite positive. We bought a Bosch fridge freezer, dishwasher & oven from Power City about 2 years ago, nothing too fancy, probably mid-priced of what was on offer.

Dishwasher & Oven are faultless but the fridge part stopped working last week. Compressor was working, light went on but not very cold. Rang the Dublin helpline number and they arranged for an engineer to call the next day.

He rang that night to confirm the appointment and ask about the problem. Reckoned it was a broken fan-unit. He offered advice (about moving & defrosting etc to save time) and said he'd be there in the morning. He arrived on time & replaced a fan unit and circuit board with no charge whatsoever.

I was a bit disappointed when it broke initially, thinking that Bosch were a cut above the no-name brands or whatever and that they shouldn't break, but I guess these things happen, however infrequently. And then if it happens you don't want to be ripped-off with ridiculous repair costs or forced to buy a replacement and all the hassle that goes with it.

So based on the excellent after-sales support I received, I'd buy Bosch again and the time after that. Just my experience anyway.

cdb thanks for that, I think I'll go for Bosch after all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have to agree about the after-sales support from Bosch. The engineer was here this morning and fixed my hob (it was just a loose connection).
    Fast, efficient service :)

just ordered all the Bosch stuff from Moore's, came up to 2500 euro as opposed to 3200 in the republic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

You can't argue with savings like that mndgz. Hope the appliances work out as expected, all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A good saving for sure. If it's mid to high-end Bosch, you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

mndgz wrote: »
    just ordered all the Bosch stuff from Moore's, came up to 2500 euro as opposed to 3200 in the republic...

By Moore's, do you mean http://www.mooresappliances.co.uk/ ? Do they deliver to the republic, and for how much?

I recently used www.appliancesdirect.co.uk, but always nice to have alternatives :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 River King

mndgz,

just wondering also if the Moores you mention are located in Northern Ireland?

sorry lads didnt get thread notifications for some reason...
    its not moore appliances, i think they're called moore's electrics, they're up in the north and i dont think they even have a website but a web search should find them..
    if anyone's interested, could look up their phone no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

astrofool wrote: »

I recently used appliancesdirect.co.uk], but always nice to have alternatives :)

Their website says UK delivery only - and when I tried to order an appliance the site would not accept the order??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I made the order by phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Cork_Rebel

Dazells of Markethill, about 20 mins from Newry seem to have a huge range of white goods in a hay barn behind their TV shop. One of the most Bizzare showrooms you'll ever see but they seem good on price.

Anyone else dealt with them?

http://www.4ni.co.uk/21716x219x3_dalzells-of-markethill-armagh.htm

rang up dalzells when searching for appliances but moores beat them pricewise at the end

got my bosch stuff few weeks ago, very impressed by the appliances, not so much so by moore's service...

free installation was part of the deal but when the delivery man showed up he knew nothing about it so just threw everything in as fast as he could and fecked off...even left the pile of packaging behind... he 'connected' all the easy ones such as the freezer, dryer, dishwasher and I was left there with the hob, the oven, the fridge...

anyway he didnt even connect the dishwasher properly so I had to call bosch service because it kept coming up with 'check water'

bosch crowd was fast and efficient, turns out moore's fella didnt connect the dishwasher drain proprly...

so in conclusion moore's service left more to be desired even though the price was good

future reminder for everyone...never ever pay anything in full, a deposit should do the finest and maybe then the customer would be looked after properly

• Advertisement
Advertisement