Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deed Poll Question

Options
  • 10-01-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello there,

What are the restriction on name change here in Ireland?
    I cam across a post here on Boards.ie that said that there was a restriction on surnames, having to come from a list of accepted prerecorded name selections.

Is there any truth to this?

Many thanks

P.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The forum charter does not allow for legal advice! - I'll leave it open but you are not to rely on replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no real restriction on surnames or first names. So long as the name chosen is not offensive in anyway there will be no problems.
    She would be best to use a solicitor to draft the deed.
    You can do it all yourself and take everything into the High Court if you feel confident enough. Otherwise a Solicitor will charge around €300 for the service. You will need the correct wording of the deed and the affidavit completed by a solicitor. These will need to be on deed paper and stamped for €30. Also the long birth cert is required. When I did it a few years ago the court required a personal appearance to lodge and collect the paperwork.

Otherwise a Solicitor will charge around €300 for the service.

If she is going to Dublin on Monday have her contact a solicitor based down the quays and they may be able to help her get sorted.

Advertisement