Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here makes a living from poker

Options
  • 09-01-2009 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Just wondering as im thinking of playing full time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Sign on IMO. You'll get a better wage and it doesn't hurt as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Well i admit im a big thight with money and so what i ask you. For example i will never go to the cinema at night just during the day so i can get it cheaper, will never buy coke or popcorn there will buy it at the nearest tesco beforehand. I will never pay for a bag at the supermarket never even if i have to walk 2 miles with shooping in my arms.
    Also i will never ever get a taxi home on nights out i always walk home and that takes me a hour and a half to 2 hours, i just dont beleive in wasting money on taxis, before i go home i might get some chips which i haggle for in the chiper usually only pay 1 euro when they are 2 euro, and if i go to the local spar or centra and want wedges i dont ask for a portion i ask for 10 wedges which i get for 80 cent always the same price because they know me and laught at it, wheras the person who orders a portion gets maybe 12 to 13 wedges and pays 2 euro for it so basically im making a good saving.

lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

newbie2 wrote: »
    Sign on IMO. You'll get a better wage and it doesn't hurt as much.

Actually i have always wondered if professional poker players (meaning earning around 2k/month from poker, no the "big guys") actually sign on for an extra income?

Ah. it's all becomming clear to me now. TPB - If you're a tight ass then da pokah is not your game.
    Actually i have always wondered if professional poker players (meaning earning around 2k/month from poker, no the "big guys") actually sign on for an extra income?
    I would, but I've paid tax for a lonnnnggggg time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

TripleAce wrote: »

theyd be stupid if the didnt IMO. Very few will admit it though IMO as it wouldnt please Lloyd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Van Dice

theyd be stupid if the didnt IMO. Very few will admit it though IMO as it wouldnt please Lloyd

i never have, silly van dice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Van Dice wrote: »

No stamps then?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ShipIt

TripleAce wrote: »

Its a strange one...its obviously a no brainer to claim the scratcher for the €800 a month but everyone who I know that plays full time dont. Some went to the bother to sign on but packed it in after they found out all the hassle u have to go tru to get it....Also if u leave ur job without getting sacked or let go I believe u are not entitled to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

lolz

... haggling for potato wedges... thats made my night

ShipIt wrote: »
    Also if u leave ur job without getting sacked or let go I believe u are not entitled to it...
    I'm pretty sure this is not the case. What about voluntary redundancy etc? IMO if you've paid you stamps - your entitled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

newbie2 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is not the case. What about voluntary redundancy etc? IMO if you've paid you stamps - your entitled.
    he's right, although its only for a few weeks, voluntary redundancy is no different to regular redundancy, depending one your payment you may be disentitled for a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

What about this thing where the government are making fast food places write there address on every wrapping, paper, cup, napkin etc.

Surely dreadful news for every poker player as fast food prices will increase.

Also promotional fliers for fastfood places made illegal! How are we supposed to hear about the best deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

greatest thing ive ever read on boards EVER, here it is ..........

''...and if i go to the local spar or centra and want wedges i dont ask for a portion i ask for 10 wedges which i get for 80 cent..''

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Van Dice wrote: »

+1.

Sorry mate - but it is Friday night
    i once ate 4 snackboxes i had to go to bed afterwards.

lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Yeah the snackboxes were buy one get one free, used to be every tuesday in hillbillys fried chicken cork.

Cork - that explains alot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Just wondering as im thinking of playing full time.
    Sounds like a good idea, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Yeah the snackboxes were buy one get one free, used to be every tuesday in hillbillys fried chicken cork.

Was actually in this fine establishment a number of years ago. The place is considered the finest of dining among Cork lower-orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

:mad:Who u calling lower order tight ted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

let us know your name online if you decide to give it a go, i will rail you and give you support

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

this trailer park guy is all over the place, he wants to play fulltime lol a few posts ago he wanted us to be like the yanks and ban all gambling:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭pistolpeter

easy game - just wait on aces pre and get it in- cant lose that way cuz u always have the best hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Does anyone make money from poker anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

easy game - just wait on aces pre and get it in- cant lose that way cuz u always have the best hand :)

Maybe that's good for holdem, waiting for Aces, pah!

In omaha, I prefer the exact opposite. I propose raising every pot, getting as much in as possible preflop in the eventuality that your opponent has Aces, not you because if you have them they will usually be cracked, then make sure you outflop him and get the rest of the money in with great urgency. Mostly it's guessing, but if you guess well in omaha you too can be a big winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

ianmc38 wrote: »

McNeill's FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

kpnuts wrote: »
    McNeill's FTW.

LOL you must be kidding tonight must have cost me a monkey lololol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

LOL you must be kidding tonight must have cost me a monkey lololol :D

i was on the blackcurrant!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

i'm lost where's the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

ianmc38 wrote: »

I just won a $25 HU limit superturbo; took about 2minutes - thats some hourly rate

Advertisement