Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms - best places to see 'em?

Options
  • 09-01-2009 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm off to Australia (Sydney) in a couple of months for a while and I've been told by other backpackers that they have some of the best thunderstorms on the planet. Opinions? Are there better locations for the ultimate thunderstorm? I have a fascination for then ever since the car I was travelling in was hit by lightning. Everything went blue and there was a kind of a 'thump' above our heads. Very strange.

(I'm trying to stave off the inevitable weather depression that happens when interesting weather breaks)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Do you mean in Austrailia or worldwide?

If worldwide, then the No. 1 spot is central Africa - I remember seeing some programme with some guy who visited some country in central Africa (all very vague!) to see thunderstorms becuase they have approx. 250 thunderstorm days a year.

Another good place (easier to get to) would be Florida.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Anywhere really, but if anyone has seen them in Sydney, well, the more the merrier! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I didn't think Sydney was renowned for it's thunderstorms?

There are a couple of guys who regularily post on Net Weather from Austrailia - look in the worldwide weather section - if you put a post there, they might be able to point you in the right direction in Austrailia at least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I am not sure about Sydney, but I have heard and read that the Northern and particulary the Northwest coast of Australia has some of the most spectacularly violent thunderstorms on earth, even when compared to the US. They are also much more frequent. So if you are looking for them down under, head up there. I am with you in spirit. :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yep Darwin on the N coast has some of the more violent storms on the Planet. This is where storms and the development of cyclones are researched the most on the planet. Cloud tops get upto 60,000' there.

Maybe one day but the heat and humidity would kill me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have a look at the 18z Gfs here. All the action mainly in the N/NW of Oz.

Weather forecast.

"Queensland Weather Forecast - Issued at 4:45am on Saturday the 10th of January 2009

State Forecast : For Saturday Cloudy with areas of rain and thunderstorms in the northern half of the state with locally heavy falls. Isolated showers about the remaining east coast. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the south and west during the afternoon and evening. Generally moderate to fresh SE winds to the south of the Monsoon trough which lies from about Cooktown to the central Gulf of Carpentaria. Fresh to strong W'ly winds to the north of the monsoon trough."

They are in the middle of their summer now so humidity will be at its best. :)

Advertisement