Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oz speeding ticket advise

Options
  • 09-01-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

looking for advise on speeding tickets that i picked up when in oz 3 months ago.The car hire company gave them my details and they send ticket to me.\every time they send a reminder the fines goes up and i now owe them $ 600,
    what i need to know is can they do anything to me and will they use it against me if i decide to visit oz again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Baybay

I don't know about the Australian authorities but I would have a concern about the car hire firm.

On a business trip, a colleague got and subsequently ignored, a speeding ticket forwarded by the car hire firm.
    Next trip over, trying to impress the boss who was travelling with him, he sauntered up to the desk, reminded the girl about how good a customer with her company he was and asked for an upgrade.

As she was processing his transaction, she saw the transgression noted on his customer record and said she wasn't allowed to hire him another car until the matter was resolved.

This was in Europe though so it might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

rkevin wrote: »
    looking for advise on speeding tickets that i picked up when in oz 3 months ago.The car hire company gave them my details and they send ticket to me.\every time they send a reminder the fines goes up and i now owe them $ 600,
    what i need to know is can they do anything to me and will they use it against me if i decide to visit oz again

Pay it.

I got a ticket last year. Was told to pay it as if you are summonsed to court and you don't show - the next time you arrive in Oz you may be arrested...

What I was told anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

1 You won't be able to hire a car again
    2 They'll pick you up on the compsys when you enter the country again, which may result in arrest, summons, prosecution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

nipplenuts wrote: »
    1 You won't be able to hire a car again
    2 They'll pick you up on the compsys when you enter the country again, which may result in arrest, summons, prosecution
    It may cause problems with the hire company but I seriously doubt it would ever be an issue if entering the country again.

See the following from an OZ travel site:
    luxury wrote:
    The rental car company would have had your details on file - they just sign a form saying it wasn't them speeding & put your details instead & send it back to the transport department - it is then up to them to chase you up.

This is only possible if the fine arrives in time to allow this form to be sent in, and is generally only accepted for Australian drivers where the fine can be enforced. If the transport authority refuses the application (as they often do) the fine remains in the companies name.

As most are not received until weeks if not months after the offence ALL rental car contracts cover the companies right to charge you for any fines incurred while you were responsible for the vehicle.

It is true that you could ignore the fine, but eventually you will be charged and the longer you delay the higher any administration fees become.

It is also wise to remember ANY debt incurred in Australia CAN be forwarded or sold off to international collection agencies. Credit references can be effected in just the same way as they would if the debt was incurred in your home country.

If you ignore the fine or refuse to pay, additional fees and charges can be added to the original fine.

EG: I’ve seen $25 parking fines jump to $110 when not paid on time,
    then the unpaid fine (now $110) is lodged with SPER
    SPER adds a registration fee of $45 making the debt $155.

IF it does come down to forwarding the debt to an international debt collection agency you can be liable for all fees and charges incurred while attempting to recover the initial amount.

(Once it is forwarded to a collection agency it is out of the rental companies’ hands, the rental company will receive a % of the debt only and no additional fees)

These additional charges claimed by collection agencies can include pretty much anything the agency wants, including but not restricted to all legal costs.

So a small parking or speeding fine can end up costing thousands of dollars and ruin your chance of future credit no matter what country you’re from.

NOTE: please don’t blame the rental company though lol they will always only receive the amount of the fine, if it goes to a collection agency they receive even less. but to any business, part payment is better than none.

The best advice i can offer is if you do have a fine, talk with the company any business worth their grain of salt will be happy to arrange a payment plan.

As long as you’re honest with them, they will be fair to you.

Advertisement