Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

up-rating for payload

Options
  • 09-01-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Does any one know how this works? I found this http://www.svtech.co.uk/index.html based in the uk that can possibley upgrade your van (for a fee) to allow you to carry more weight(legally;))

Is there such a company here? Any info or comments gratefully received.I'm going to Europe for 2 months this summer and going to really struggle to be within my payload

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That's an interesting question !

Depending on your base vehicle this could mean just changing the paperwork and the plaque, or adding different/additional springs or be impossible altogether.

But I wouldn't have the first clue how to go about it here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

Would u then need a truck licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

My Ducato based van was uprated in Germany from 3500 to 4000kg and had air suspension fitted.

It was marked on the plaque in the engine bay and on paper.

When I bought it I had it officially deplated back to 3500 so I could legally drive it, even though the upgrades were still in place. The German authorities reduced the number of passengers from 6 to 4 as they said there would not be enough payload on 3500 to carry 6 people.

When I brought it into Ireland the VRT boyos didn't have a clue about anything (and I didn't prompt them) and it was rated as 3500 and 6 persons, so I can legally drive it but at least I know it has been uprated and I can safely carry extra payload.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Would u then need a truck licence?
    That depends how you rate it. If the legal rating is 3500 or less you'll get away with a B car licence, anything more than that you'll need C or C1 truck licence. The physical rating, as 3ps says, doesn't matter for licencing but only for safety.

Advertisement