Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Leave Appeal Letter Help

Options
  • 09-01-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

A former colleague and friend recently changed jobs.
    She has asked me to write a letter with her.

She has been given a good salary, but has been put back
    onto the first point for annual leave.

The HR department has asked her to write an appeal letter to
    support her application for a proper level of annual leave.

I would be obliged for any tips or pointers from anyone who
    has done something like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

I take it she did not realise this when she accepted the job. There are a lot of reasons for taking a job the salary is not always the be all and end all. She could point out that her acceptance of the position was based on what she thought was the overall package ie Salary+Leave+Pension+Location etc. How far is she willing to go with this, would she be prepared to demand a renegoitaion of the package and perhaps refuse to stay in the job is she fails to get some kind of deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Public service or private employer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

It is the Public Service

I think it is just a local HR issue only. She has no intention to "rock the boat" the job
    is fine apart from this issue.

So it's probably just the case that they want a piece of paper to put in the file and what is actually on it is not that important.
    I suppose just point out that she's worked for x years and has earned her annual leave entitlement and that she does not feel that what she has earned through her time and hard work should be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Deadeyes wrote: »
    I suppose just point out that she's worked for x years and has earned her annual leave entitlement and that she does not feel that what she has earned through her time and hard work should be reduced.

Eh..she hasn't worked for this new company for X years, why should she get preferential treatment to any other new employee? If it's in the company handbook that new employee's start on X days per year, then everyone should start on X days per year!

OP - your friend should suck it up and learn from this experience, namely that she should have tried to negotiate her annual leave when she was given the initial job offer.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    Eh..she hasn't worked for this new company for X years, why should she get preferential treatment to any other new employee?
    I was reading it as being that she was working in the public sector and that she is moving to another position within the public sector. So that it is not a change of company but a change of department to do a different type of work.

Advertisement