Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession and loss of job

Options
  • 09-01-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello ! Like many, I lost my job. Well to be precise, I lost most of my hours and I have no options but to apply to Social Welfare. So if you are in the same situation as me (and many), how would/will you manage ?
    1) to spend your spare time. How would you fill your spare time no to get too bored, not to fall into depression ?
    2) how to avoid the trap of drinking/smoking too much as well, while being out-of-work ?
    3) how will you manage your bills (rent, ESB, Credit card) ? and your day-to-day spending (food) ?
    4) Searching for a job. What are you doing to do so ?

I precise i am a single man. So, i guess families issues will be different, and worst.

Keep the Faith ! :)

PS : to moderator, being new here i am not sure if this thread is appropriate in this particular forum. If not, please move it to the appropriate one. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Guillaume wrote: »
    PS : to moderator, being new here i am not sure if this thread is appropriate in this particular forum. If not, please move it to the appropriate one. thanks.

Welcome to Boards :). Sorry to hear about your job. My only tip is to remember that this is a global recession. Don't let a global recession hit your self-esteem or confidence. Having to use the social safety net in a time of turmoil like this has nothing to do with a how good a worker you are, and don't give in to the temptation of thinking anything's wrong with you.

I'm going to fire this over to Work/Jobs because I think the posters there might be in a better position to give you tips. We're boring economists here and will gladly tell you what'd happen if we put a tax on carbon and that sort of stuff, but that's just because we're boring :). Maybe the the Work/Jobs mods will find a better place for it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Welcome to Boards :). Sorry to hear about your job. My only tip is to remember that this is a global recession. Don't let a global recession hit your self-esteem or confidence. Having to use the social safety net in a time of turmoil like this has nothing to do with a how good a worker you are, and don't give in to the temptation of thinking anything's wrong with you.

I'm going to fire this over to Work/Jobs because I think the posters there might be in a better position to give you tips. We're boring economists here and will gladly tell you what'd happen if we put a tax on carbon and that sort of stuff, but that's just because we're boring :). Maybe the the Work/Jobs mods will find a better place for it again.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

1) to spend your spare time. How would you fill your spare time no to get too bored, not to fall into depression ?

I'm trying to read more. I've been meaning to read a lot of classic or award winning books for several years and always seem "too busy" (although the reality is I've never used my spare time as productively as I would have liked to.)

I'm also going to start up some hobbies that I've let fall for far too long. I used to be really into photography but since moving to Ireland I've been too depressed to feel creative. Hopefully if I push myself, I can get back into it.

Also, I'll hopefully use the fact that I'm not working during the day to take advantage of quiet time at the gym. Although I've been more than a little lazy in this regard since losing my job a month ago. (Bad form to let the gym membership sit idle though, since it's already paid for)
    2) how to avoid the trap of drinking/smoking too much as well, while being out-of-work ?

Thankfully, my vices don't cost money. The trap of sleeping too much and not eating healthily is real for me, though :(

Hopefully I'll learn to distract myself with the hobbies listed above soon. Every day is a bit of a struggle though, I have to admit.
    3) how will you manage your bills (rent, ESB, Credit card) ? and your day-to-day spending (food) ?
    While I'm lucky that my husband is still employed so our income has only been cut in half, not eliminated, we do have to be more careful. Our rent is paid three days after my husband's pay day, so we won't get evicted. I'm a good cook so we usually don't order out or eat expensive (and crappy!) pre-packaged foods, but since losing my job I haven't had much motivation to do anything like that. It's stupid though because it's a waste of money we don't particularly have. So, again my aim is to restart cooking every day, it's healthier too, I'm well able to feed us on a very tight budget because I've had to do it before... in fact most of our life together so far. Oh well!

It would be a good idea to make a budget, weekly or monthly. Take your income and subtract your set costs first, like rent, esb (round up so you don't underestimate), any loans or things like that. Then take what's left over and allocate at least 20 euro per week to an emergency fund if you can. As a single man you should be able to feed yourself relatively healthily using very little money. Oatmeal is the cheapest breakfast that I know of, a couple of euro for a bag and you've got breakfast for a month. Eggs, turkey breast (ground or whole), tinned sardines are all cheap sources of protein. Shop at Lidl or Aldi, little savings add up.
    Keep at it and try to stay positive. It's cliché, but it's true. Apply for jobs as soon as you hear about them - there's so many job seekers out there right now that getting in first is actually very important. After a while the people who put the ad in the paper will get bored and not put so much effort into you because they will be burnt out. Always smile during an interview - and if you get an interview it's a good sign, it means you're probably in the top 10 (more like top 5 or 6 for most businesses) out of at least 100 applicants for most jobs, depending on where you live and how specialized the position is of course.

I treat job hunting like a job in itself (although it's a job I hate and of course I can't quit). Eventually it will pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

Some very good advice there Xiney........Im in exactly same both as you as in lost my job about 2 months ago but the fortunate thing is having a partner to keep you afloat!
    Im also reading alot more now and trying to get a covers band up and running again like i used to in the past..............and yes, the rest of my days are spent job hunting, all you can do is keep applying for everything and never give up looking for work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

Xiney wrote: »
    I'm also going to start up some hobbies that I've let fall for far too long. I used to be really into photography but since moving to Ireland I've been too depressed to feel creative. Hopefully if I push myself, I can get back into it.

wow thanks.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Set aside a specific amount of time for job hunting. Then stop and do something else that you enjoy. Go for a run, read a book etc. Visit a friend. Take up a new project or hobby. Volunteer for something. Basically keep busy with stuff that interests you. Especially stuff you don't usually have time for. Enjoy that, and a positive, upbeat attitude, will come across in an interview.

Job wise get the book, what color is your parachute from the library and take what you think it useful from it. I think it has some good advice.

Best way to find work if through people who know you. friends, family. Then direct ads in the press, probably the least successful way is via agencies. Unless its IT contracting or similar. Anyway thing about that, and spend your job hunting time accordingly.

Finally have patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I would agree with all the advice that has been given already. I have been unemployed in the past and the first time I made the mistake of staying up late watching tv, getting out of bed at lunchtime, spending too much time in the house etc. It has a negative effect on your self esteem and this will not help you get employment. As others have said eat well, keep fit, exercise your mind by reading books, get to your local FAS office/Jobs club and take advantange of all their facilities (e.g they can type up CVs for you, get you on a course to improve your skill set) and keep applying for jobs even if you don't hear back when you send in your CV sometimes or don't get by an interview.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Guillaume

CSC wrote: »
    I would agree with all the advice that has been given already. I have been unemployed in the past and the first time I made the mistake of staying up late watching tv, getting out of bed at lunchtime, spending too much time in the house etc. It has a negative effect on your self esteem and this will not help you get employment. As others have said eat well, keep fit, exercise your mind by reading books, get to your local FAS office/Jobs club and take advantange of all their facilities (e.g they can type up CVs for you, get you on a course to improve your skill set) and keep applying for jobs even if you don't hear back when you send in your CV sometimes or don't get by an interview.
    Good luck!

thanks. I never fought of using FAS facilities. When you had been working hard for years, it takes time also to consider and "digest" the new situation. The temptation, as you say, is to stay home and do nothing, in which i am falling. Proud, you know. For food, i found spaghetti and burgers (8...) for 1,37 euros in Dunnes. That will feed me right... IoI. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr. Blueskies

Hi,

I voluntarily lost my job in Sept 08 when I took a voluntary redundancy/early retirement package at work and a small weekly pension and made my escape to Portugal for a year. Just renting at present but I
    have put the irish house on the market and IF I get a sale? I wont be back. Not trying to gloat or anything. If the house fails to sell ? I will have to return.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

You have paid tax for years you are well entitled to all these services. Make sure you read up on all your benefits now that you are out of work e.g you could be entitled to a medical card.
    Call into your local FAS office and arrange a meeting with one of their staff members to talk you through all your options.

• Advertisement

CSC wrote: »
    You have paid tax for years you are well entitled to all these services. Make sure you read up on all your benefits now that you are out of work e.g you could be entitled to a medical card.
    Call into your local FAS office and arrange a meeting with one of their staff members to talk you through all your options.

Well i haven't lost my job as such. I am still officially employed. I haven't been sacked. But, due to lack of business, they reduced our hours to... nil (i work in the hotel, as a waiter, and the Hotel industry is being hit at the mo) and encourage/ask us to seek Social Welfare benefit. Means, when the business will come back, my hours will come back too. Normaly.
    But we do not know how long this situation will last. Maybe few weeks... months ? They are employing foreign students at the mo - who are on a 4 months internship - , who cost very little, and took all the hours of the FT people... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

One thing you should definitley do is go onto the revenue.ie website and complete the P50 form for claiming back tax credits when unemployed. I did this and i got back €1,700....well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,786 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hello ! Like many, I lost my job. Well to be precise, I lost most of my hours and I have no options but to apply to Social Welfare. So if you are in the same situation as me (and many), how would/will you manage ?

Taking this in reverse order:

Your job is to find yourself a job. You know how vacancies are filled in your industry (listing on websites, notices in the window, ads in trade magazines etc - different for different jobs). So schedule some time EVERY DAY to be checking out those places where your jobs may be advertised. Schedule some time to network with contacts who may know of jobs coming up, or ones that aren't advertised.

Write out a plan for how long your search for jobs in your current industries (maybe 1-2 months), then when you plan to look for jobs in other industries and/or locations.

Write out a list of potential employers.

Keep a log of what job-search activity you do each day.

Allocate yourself a weekend every week, just like you would have if you were working. Use this as your main recreation time, and don't job-hunt on those days (except for networking, which may only be possible when others aren't working).

Re keeping yourself healthy/motivated/not depressed:
    Identifying the risk of it happening is the first step, well done!
    Asking others for help in combatting it is the 2nd, well done again!

Next step is that schedule I suggested making. Don't go overboard, but set yourself goals and tasks every day. My standard plan is:
    • get up at 8,
    • practice music between 9 and 10,
    • job-search from 10-11:30,
    • go for a walk 11:30-12,
    • lunch from 12-1,
    • job-search from 1-3,
    • afternoon tea 3-3:30
    • supermarket 3:30 - 4
    • exercise or hobbies 4-6
    then in the evenings and weekends I do what I would normally do. A key thing is going to be at the same time you would if you were working.

Of course this varies on some days, but that basic structure keeps me out motivated and alert.

Re money: it all comes down to budgetting. And did you notice I go to the supermarket every day - the "Reduced to Clear" shelf is a truely wonderful place. And stop putting anything on the credit card, they are a real trap.

Hope this helps.

JustMary wrote: »
    Taking this in reverse order:

Your job is to find yourself a job. You know how vacancies are filled in your industry (listing on websites, notices in the window, ads in trade magazines etc - different for different jobs). So schedule some time EVERY DAY to be checking out those places where your jobs may be advertised. Schedule some time to network with contacts who may know of jobs coming up, or ones that aren't advertised.

Write out a plan for how long your search for jobs in your current industries (maybe 1-2 months), then when you plan to look for jobs in other industries and/or locations.

Write out a list of potential employers.

Keep a log of what job-search activity you do each day.

Allocate yourself a weekend every week, just like you would have if you were working. Use this as your main recreation time, and don't job-hunt on those days (except for networking, which may only be possible when others aren't working).

Re keeping yourself healthy/motivated/not depressed:
    Identifying the risk of it happening is the first step, well done!
    Asking others for help in combatting it is the 2nd, well done again!

Next step is that schedule I suggested making. Don't go overboard, but set yourself goals and tasks every day. My standard plan is:
    • get up at 8,
    • practice music between 9 and 10,
    • job-search from 10-11:30,
    • go for a walk 11:30-12,
    • lunch from 12-1,
    • job-search from 1-3,
    • afternoon tea 3-3:30
    • supermarket 3:30 - 4
    • exercise or hobbies 4-6
    then in the evenings and weekends I do what I would normally do. A key thing is going to be at the same time you would if you were working.

Of course this varies on some days, but that basic structure keeps me out motivated and alert.

Re money: it all comes down to budgetting. And did you notice I go to the supermarket every day - the "Reduced to Clear" shelf is a truely wonderful place. And stop putting anything on the credit card, they are a real trap.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. Even if "practice music" for an hour, I doubt it will be suitable to me.. IoI But thanks, you wee pet. ! :)

Advertisement