Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCC upholds complaints against RTÉ's Late Late Show with Gerry Ryan

Options
  • 09-01-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

The Broadcasting Complaints Commission has upheld eight complaints against RTE's The Late Late Show broadcast on the 24 October, which featured comedian Tommy Tiernan in an interview with Gerry Ryan.

Mr Ryan was presenting the show because Pat Kenny was absent due to a familly bereavement.

Complaints were made by a number of individuals, including a mother of a person with Down's Syndrome, and by a representative of the group Pavee Point, which represents Travellers.

AdvertisementWith regard to a joke which related to a person in the National Rehabilitaton Hospital in Dún Laoghaire, and mentioned Travellers in the punch line as well, the BCC noted that Mr Ryan actively engaged in the jokes being told by the comedian and in effect, urged him on irrespective of manner or content.

The BBC said that at no stage did Mr Ryan challenge or attempt to curb the presentation or what was being said by the comedian.

The BCC said that while accepting that humour can be irreverent and that freedom of speech is of paramount importance, the manner and content of the jokes about a disabled person and a Traveller went beyond acceptable standards.

In the joke based on disability, the mimicry and punch lines were likely to cause offence to regular viewers of the 'Late Late Show'.

With regard a joke featuring Travellers, the Commission found that not only did the content go beyond acceptable standards, it was derogatory of the Traveller Community.

The BCC described the joke as totally inappropriate.

In response, RTÉ has said it takes seriously all complaints upheld by the BCC and regrets if the item in question caused viewers undue offence.

The broadcaster said it recognises its responsibilities as the standard bearer in Irish broadcasting and takes great care to balance its responsibilities, alongside the need to entertain.

It is in this context that RTÉ programmes like The Late Late Show offer viewers in Ireland an opportunity to see all of Ireland's most popular comedians.

The broadcaster said it intends to continue that policy in the future, with renewed focus on the latest rulings and how they relate to the implementation of RTÉ's Code of Programme Standards.

It also said complaints about Tommy Tiernan on the Late Late were upheld in 2004 and full account was taken of them at the time.

No complaints have been upheld against him for the last four years.

Should Ryan be put on suspension?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Some people are completely petty, small and pathetic to complain over this. This was a comedic performance and meant to be taken in that light, nothing more, nothing less. Some people really have nothing better to do with themselves. Political correctness run amok.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ben bedlam wrote: »
    The bcc is pointless

You will be glad to hear that it will become part of the new BAI. Broadcasting Authority of Ireland in April.

Some people are completely petty, small and pathetic to complain over this. This was a comedic performance and meant to be taken in that light, nothing more, nothing less. Some people really have nothing better to do with themselves. Political correctness run amok.

I actually think that they went to far, their is comedic preformances and then their is just total disregard for people. Gerry Ryan should have brought him back, Gerry Ryan was far more to blame then Terinan. The joke to the winner of the prize who he pretend he couldn't understand was not only insulting to country people but also to Eastern Europeans.

Anyway the BCC is a bit pointless as it has no power do really do anything but up hold the complaint, they don't seem to fine the broadcaster that have the complaints upheld.

All RTÉ will do is to say sorry on the Late Late next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I did laugh when he said the joke about the nacker and the one about the motorbike.

Am I a bad person?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I did laugh when he said the joke about the nacker and the one about the motorbike.

Yes, but that's not a bad thing. :D

Gerry Ryan should be sacked! In general though, I never watched that late late.

I wonder how many people complained. It always seems undemocratic when 60 or so people complaining get our tv content changed. 60 out of (whatever veiwers are for the LLS) is nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

EKRIUQ wrote: »

Yes, and you should be quite pleased that you are, because it seems the "good" people in this farce are the self-righteous arseholes who were complaining about it at the time on Joe Duffy's show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Why is Tiernan asked back all the time. All he does is cause outrage. I wouldn't mind if he was ACTUALLY funny.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder how many people complained. It always seems undemocratic when 60 or so people complaining get our tv content changed. 60 out of (whatever veiwers are for the LLS) is nothing.

It depends on how many people are bothered to actually complain, and I think Ireland has a low rate of people complaining.

It hasn't changed anything TBH. RTÉ have to make an appology. Nothing there suggesting that RTÉ axe the Late Late Show or that Gerry Ryan should never present TLLS or that Teirnan is banned from TV.

All it is a right to responed, the BCC can up hold your complaint or disagree with the complaint. But you still have had your right to responed.

Do you honestly think that the final decisions in any area of the country are decided by the people, often it is pressure/interest groups that do that, all the ministers seem to do is to mediated between each of the groups and hope to come to a concensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

BolBill wrote: »
    Why is Tiernan asked back all the time. All he does is cause outrage. I wouldn't mind if he was ACTUALLY funny.

suppose they reckon might get more viewers if even for the controversy. sick of tiernan now anyway. also if gerry ryan ever got the late late i dont think id ever watch it again. kenny gets a lot of unfair stick IMO, i like him. look at the shambles it was with ryan in the seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

RTE obviously prefer having Tommy Tiernan and Jimmy Carr( both have made several appearances) on the show, and each time they have been on , they both have received complaints.

I assume it is good for the ratings, what else is there to watch in Ireland anyway at that time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

All he costs them is the petrol for his Range Rover and the knowledge that they can crank up the rate card for Joe Duffy for the next week. All in all, they're probably in profit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its wasn't a latelate type of joke

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Havn't watched that show since being a kid, Pat the plank, what a bore. Gerry ryan is just full of wind. Now Ray Darcy would be worth tuning in for.

Anyway how come the producers in the BBC where held accountable for the "phone call" joke, yet nothing about the Late Late show's producers, I mean they could of pulled the plug. Or shouted down the ear to putterfish-ryan to cop on. Anyway I don't find Tommy in the slightist bit funny, I think Gerry must think his ego is on par w' Russel.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

its wasn't a latelate type of joke

What is a LateLate joke ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

rte producers wil try to say that the late late shows all sorts, top talent etc like tt, but it shouldn't, it shouldn't show the satanic sluts either but thats due to crapness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

quote wrote:
    The BBC said that at no stage...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I used to love Tiernan until I went to one of his gigs last year. Now, hearing all of his material for the third time was annoying but not really a problem as I can accept that comedians cannot constantly have fresh material , it was the way he arrogantly abused people for taking a picture of him with their phone or whatever. I know that he does it as part of the act, but I lost all respect for the guy when he did that. It was clearly a ploy to make people feel edgy. I think that is where he is coming from with his "close to the bone" jokes about people with down syndrome and members of the travelling community. I've no issue with that, I am an adult afterall, and can laugh at things that are funny, even if somewhat controversial.
    It was just the arrogance and bullying that tarnished it for me. I switch now whenever I see his grumpy little mush. BTW - this is exactly why the LLS continue to book him every year. Why else would RTE get a mention here !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What about Gary Lightbody's complaint about Gerry Ryan trying to hump his leg live on the air? Was that upheld?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Elmo wrote: »
    Should Ryan be put on suspension?

No, Ryan should be put on a diet. Tiernan should be put on a spit and roasted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

What a great yearly tradition this has become

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Pigman II wrote: »
    Tiernan should be put on a spit and roasted.

Gah! Now I have an image of Gerry Ryan spit-roasting Tommy Tiernan with the help of Pat Kenny. Damn my brain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Gah! Now I have an image of Gerry Ryan spit-roasting Tommy Tiernan with the help of Pat Kenny. Damn my brain!

dont forget a nice vinegar bbq sauce:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

claiva wrote: »
    Why else would RTE get a mention here !!!!

Eh maybe for being a completely amateurish waste-of-taxpayers-money broadcasting entity that commisions piece-of-crap after piece-of-crap and that is totally out of touch with the young people of Ireland today?

It's covered here fairly regularily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I really despair for comedic talent in this country if the likes of Tommy Tiernan is the best we can do. Tommy tiernan is just not funny, he should accept that, instead of looking like the class fool who got attention by shouting the whole time. I've seen shows and dvd's of him numerous times and I don't think I've ever laughed. He simply comes across as a ****ing idiot. In all fairness, if you came across someone screaming at you he does, would you not feel a sudden urge to slap him? Very hard....numerous times.

I think the Late Late is just trying too hard to appeal to a younger audience with these guests (satanic sluts etc), without actually realising that most young people are in the pub when the late late is on and its their parents watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

The BCC seem to have come down extra hard on the traveller joke as opposed to the DS joke, going by the language used in that article posted.

Personally, I believe joking about someone with Downs Syndrome is far more insulting and disgraceful than making a joke about travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I don't have a problem with Tommy Tiernan telling jokes about down syndrome, travellers or whoever. I don't find it funny, and the arguments put forward by Tiernan and his supporters about "inclusion" don't wash with me. However, if you want to pay your money to go see him tell those jokes in a venue, fair enough.

The Late Late Show is a show with a broad audience of all ages, and I'm thinking a huge amount of older viewers would find jokes like he told offensive. They shouldn't be subjected to those kind of jokes on the station's flagship show. I know the argument is often put forward that "they can switch off", but when it comes to the primary public service channel in the country on a Friday night, they shouldn't have to.

What should happen with all complaints upheld by the BCC is that the producers of the piece (on tv or radio) should answer to their management and appropriate steps taken, and the broadcaster should be fined (fine varies depending on station size).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The problem with Tommy Tiernan is that he looks literally desperate. Not only is he not funny, it's painful to think he has a family at home watching their dad fail through their fingers.

djsupreme wrote: »
    What should happen with all complaints upheld by the BCC is that the producers of the piece (on tv or radio) should answer to their management and appropriate steps taken, and the broadcaster should be fined (fine varies depending on station size).

This is suggesting that RTE, TG4 and TV3 are of different sizes. Do you mean the broadcast organization as a whole or just the TV Channel/Radio Station, depending on how much they take in revenue (commercial and license). E.g. Communicorp is the biggest broadcaster in the country but if a complaint is up held because of one of their local channels should they pay more than lets say UTV's Local radio stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Elmo wrote: »
    This is suggesting that RTE, TG4 and TV3 are of different sizes. Do you mean the broadcast organization as a whole or just the TV Channel/Radio Station, depending on how much they take in revenue (commercial and license). E.g. Communicorp is the biggest broadcaster in the country but if a complaint is up held because of one of their local channels should they pay more than lets say UTV's Local radio stations?

I think just the TV channel/radio station - based on audience size and revenues. This is done already by the PPI when working out fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Tommy Tiernan is as funny as an infected rectal wart.

• Advertisement

Hey! I'm Tommy Tiernan! I make loud noises and funny voices! I try and cause controversy! Even though I'm total sh1t.

Advertisement