Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law regarding the production of alcohol...

Options
  • 09-01-2009 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I'm curious, what does the law state about someone making alcohol at home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I'm curious, what does the law state about someone making alcohol at home?
    You are allowed to brew (ie ferment) anything up to, I think, 21% abv for your own personal use. You are not allowed to sell it (though they're hardly going to stop you selling to friends in an informal manner) and you are not allowed to distill it or ferment to more than 21%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If for some strange reason this becomes popular as people have less money in the coming years, you can be sure the government will tax it or ban it, or maybe even restrict the hours you can do it, then the Greens will give out about the emissions it makes and want to tax people for the amount of gas they leave off through farts they do after drinking dodgy home made beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

( a ) not exceeding 0.5% vol.;
    Not worth doing then. ;)

I think it's beer not exceeding 0.5% OR beer brewed at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

gabhain7 wrote: »
    The first part of that section seems to concern excise duty, and does not mean that you're not allowed brew beer stronger than 0.5%.

Yes, what I think it means is that you are exempt from excise duty (and therefore entitled to brew beer without a brewers licence) if it's either less then 0.5% or if it's home brewing and the beer isn't sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pondering

Side note to the thread:

For those interested in making beer at home

http://www.beerexpert.co.uk/

Surprisingly easy!

They may also have a inquiry section so may be up to date on the legal side of things.

P.

Advertisement