Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy/sell low whistle?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi,
    I currently have a low whistle that was given to me as a present. Unfortunately one of the finger holes is just too big for my fingers, and they are slightly too far apart and I'm hoping to get a different make. Being a bit broke at the moment I'd like to get one second hand, but the shop my own whistle came from said they don't deal in second hand mouth instruments. Does anyone know any where where I would be able to get a second hand low whistle? or indeed where I might be able to exchange the one I have at the moment?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

You could try posting it here. You should be able to sell it, or maybe even swop it for something that'd suit you! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Good idea, I came across this site ages ago but had totally forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I might be interested in it if you wanted to sell it. Unfortunately I couldn't offer you any other whistles in return but pm me if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

sorry to but in, but have you played low whistle before? the grip is different from say a "d" whistle. in that you would not use all the finger pads, a few fingers are used on holes at the second finger joint etc. it would be impossible to use a low whistle in the same way you would hold a "standard" one unless you had E.T. fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

flanum wrote: »
    sorry to but in, but have you played low whistle before? the grip is different from say a "d" whistle. in that you would not use all the finger pads, a few fingers are used on holes at the second finger joint etc. it would be impossible to use a low whistle in the same way you would hold a "standard" one unless you had E.T. fingers!

You have a point, op have a look at this:
    http://www.thewhistleshop.com/beginners/lowd/lowd.htm

Is that the grip your using? Takes a while to get used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Yes indeed, I had played a different make of low whistle that I had borrowed from a friend for several months, and have no problems with the piper grip. I compared the two whistles very closely to see if it was just me, but the one I have definitely has slightly different proportions. Unfortunately it's enough to make a difference and results in stalling and odd noises when I play :( not very pleasent to listen to, and not much fun to play!
    Thanks for the suggestions though :)

Advertisement