Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring a car within EU

Options
  • 08-01-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about this.

I came to Ireland, from Finland about 2 years ago. When we came we financed a car in 5 years, I know it’s a lot, anyway...

Now we are planning to move back to Finland. I know that when we own a car for more than 6 months it can be transferred to another EU country without problems but can it be if still subject to finance?

Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks,

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It all depends on if you've gotten the car on HP or just got a car loan.

If HP, you don't own it till final payment is made. So you can't transfer it till the 5 years are up.

If you got a loan then you own it and can bring it with you, sorting out paying off the loan is a different issue.

Why would you want to bring RHD irish spec car to Finland? You'd be sitting on the wrong side for car parks etc and I'd hazard a guess that our cars aren't winterized(sp?) correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

Thanks Del2005.

Well I’ve got a HP so I won’t be able to do it. I’ll then try to terminate the loan before go back.

About the car been rhd, that’s something that my wife and I would think about. It’d be annoying driving this car in there however it’s a good car and we still have 3 years to go, so it would an exercise of pro and cons, especially the cars here are cheaper than in there.

To adapt the car to the winter no problem about that either, you just need a new set of winter tires plus a engine heating, again no to much money.

But anyway that won’t work. Do you know if I can give the car back to the bank? Would you know how that works?

Thanks for your help.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can call the HP company and ask for a surrender value. This is the money you have to give them for them to take the car back. Just be aware in this climate it could be very high. The other thing you can do is ask to buy them out if you have the money but that could be high also.

You may run into issues when trying to re-reg the car in Finland as technically you haven't owned it here, if there registration rules are similar to here. I'd check how this works in Finland before doing the above

Advertisement