Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anywhere I can learn Spanish for free in Dublin?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I'm currently very poor, but I'll be moving to Barcelona in September, and I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Dublin that does free Spanish classes, like any of the Libraries or Universities?

Another question, does anyone know of any government or otherwise run free Spanish or Catalan courses in Barcelona? I remember seeing signs the last time I was there advertising classes....I was looking at some of the institutes that do classes over there and they look very expensive, especially for spain!

If anyone has any info I'd be very grateful indeed! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Don't think you'll find any free Spanish classes but afaik, the library in Ilac Centre runs a language exchange. Not sure how helpful it'll be to you though.

As for Barcelona, it's a brilliant city but it's also easy to live there and not pick up a word of Spanish (or Catalan!). The Catalan government don't exactly encourage people to learn Spanish, so Spanish classes are only offered by private language schools (fairly expensive) and universities (have to be a student there). Catalan is the complete opposite and they go out of their way to try and get people to learn the language. You'll see posters up all over the metro stations advertising official language courses for free/a small administration fee. I did a basic level certificate but tbh, I never really used it while I was there. I already had a fairly decent level of Spanish, so it kind of complemented that.

There's a big enough Irish community over there and if you're looking for a job, they'll usually be able to help. Be warned though, there are a lot of them who have been living there for a good while that speak very little Spanish. Are you looking to go there just to learn Spanish, to work, to study?

If you've any specific questions, just drop me a PM and I'd be happy to help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

You could try taking out a Linguaphone course from the library. A linguaphone course is a set of both books and tapes/cds. You will obviously want the beginner ones. If you google Linguaphone you will probably get a better idea of what its about.

They are usually booked out and on request by someone else waiting for them to come back, so you could be three weeks or so waiting for it, so go to the library as soon as you can. I know for a fact that the Ilac centre have them as I used to use them while I was in college.

I have also Pm'd you with some other info too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WanderlustQueen

I've heard about the hoards of Irish people in Barcelona, a friend of mine refused to go on erasmus there because she didn't think she's learn any Spanish! I know a few bits and pieces of the language, I've been to Spain more than any other country, but I've no formal training. Was hoping to move there to work (pub, restraunt, whatever) and learn Spanish too, seeing as I can't seem to get a job here, might as well go somewhere warm!

Thats interesting about the Catalan thing, I was under the impression that Catalan and Spanish were similar, but my Mexican friend tells me otherwise. Citeog, did the Catalan people get annoyed if you spoke spanish to them? I'd prefer to learn spanish...Looks like I'll have to opt for the posh expensive language schools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

not trying to discourage you as i think its great when i see people moving to other european cities but spain is doing really really bad at the moment. think it has the highest unemployment in europe atm.

altho maby catalonia is different.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Yeah I read that there is quite a bit of unemployment in Spain. Catalan is similar to French and castellano is what we would be the correct term in an area like Catalonia or Galicia for Spanish.

If you are looking to learn Spanish for free you could place an ad for an intercambio/ exchange with a Spanish person. You help them with their English and you teach them Spanish.

I don't know if it's popular in Dublin but in the English speaking papers in Barcelona they are advertised widely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Montjuic

My friend or anyone else thinking of coming to Barcelona to try and ride out the recession somewhere warmer do not even think about it. I am married to a Catalan and she has a friend who runs an English language academy here.

There is no and I repeat no chance of work in Barcelona in any capacity. The Spanish and Catalans themselves cannot get jobs so why does anyone think that young Irish people who thought it was a nice trendy place when they were on holidays think they can get anything here. I see so many unemployed Irish arts students wandering the streets thinking they will get english teaching jobs bar work etc you wont forget about it. They especially will not like it if you have not got a word of Spanish.

A trend I have seen is lots of Irish girls who think it is so like cool to go live in Barcelona and have no appreciation of Catalan Spain or its culture. D4 princesses feck off u are not wanted.

In short you are wasting your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

I'm currently very poor, but I'll be moving to Barcelona in September, and I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Dublin that does free Spanish classes, like any of the Libraries or Universities?

Another question, does anyone know of any government or otherwise run free Spanish or Catalan courses in Barcelona? I remember seeing signs the last time I was there advertising classes....I was looking at some of the institutes that do classes over there and they look very expensive, especially for spain!

If anyone has any info I'd be very grateful indeed! :pac:

Try teaching yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Danrub

Hi, I'm spanish and I'm working in Dublin.
    I got all evenings free. I'm looking for irish friendship here.

I offer spanish lessons free, I got 25 years and I can teach you spanish in 3 months I think.

If you have more questions, contact me on facebook:

www.facebook.com/dmoyav

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lady of the flowers

hey, im currently learning spanish for free in the ilac library. its just a cd/internet self teaching on the computer, but i find that because i have to book it, then i show up and actually do it. you get a cert of attendance after 50 hours. there is also spanish eng conversation exchange on a tues and i know you can get podcasts called coffee break spanish for free it you have an ipod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mise_me_fein1

I went to Spain and I learnt Spanish pretty good but I knew nothing upon arriving. I used some mp3 stuff and I can direct people where to get this stuff for free, just send me a private message and I'll put you on your way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 garybrett

I don't have a sound knowledge about Dublin but a friend of mine took Spanish lessons Brisbane. He found it good and effective. I hope it will help you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

garybrett please do not revive old threads to advertise.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement