Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland - Price Reduction - Sky + Box €24.50

Options
  • 07-01-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Sky have reduced their prices for new customers online:

[Sky Link]

Sky + box €24.50
    Sky + HD €74.50
    Sky multi-room €7.37 per month or €14.75 whole-home

These prices will stay until the 4th of Feb 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭peejay1986

It's a joke how its only for new customers :(

Do you know if you could quit Sky and then sign back up later that day to get this offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I have hear of couples where the original agreement was in one name and they got a new contract in the partners name. That's one possible way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Ogham wrote: »
    I have hear of couples where the original agreement was in one name and they got a new contract in the partners name. That's one possible way around it.

i think there is no other way around it than this, using a different name for the new subscription.

has anyone tried ringing them and giving them a good rant bout it, to see if they would decrease your price?

i know this worked with setenta when they increased their prices, some people called them, gave them a good rant, and got 3/6 months half price, see satellite forum

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I'm totally amazed that anyone would pay up to seventy euro a month and the rest to watch TV, and consider it a bargain !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Sky is still a rip off here compared to the uk

Ireland: Basic package + SkySports = €52.00 / month
    Ireland: HD Pack = €14.75 / month

UK: Basic package + SkySports = £35.50 / month
    UK: HD Pack = £9.75 / month

So yearly cost of Sky Sports (with hd),

Ireland: €801
    UK: £543

When they update their pricing to match the exchange rate then I will signup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not much of a bargain, up until December last year they were giving Sky+ for free.
    smithslist wrote:
    has anyone tried ringing them and giving them a good rant bout it, to see if they would decrease your price?

Some people over on the sat forum have threatened to cancel their subscription if they don't get this. However you really need to be willing to go through with it.

Remember, even once you have cancelled your sub there are still over 80 channels to watch for free, including all the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

But for multi room...its not tied to 12 months also is it? ie can I go and look for the reduction ("threat" to quit multi room) and get the reduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭finno

bk wrote: »
    Not much of a bargain, up until December last year they were giving Sky+ for free.

Some people over on the sat forum have threatened to cancel their subscription if they don't get this. However you really need to be willing to go through with it.

Remember, even once you have cancelled your sub there are still over 80 channels to watch for free, including all the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 channels.

Well that is not true when they cut me off "my postal order got lost in the post" i had no channels at all

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

I rang sky last week to cancel my subscription with the intention of signing up in partners name. However in an effort to disuade me they offered me sky plus at the new customer rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dixierip wrote: »
    I rang sky last week to cancel my subscription with the intention of signing up in partners name. However in an effort to disuade me they offered me sky plus at the new customer rate.

And they would have tied you into another 12 month contract by doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Have had sky + for 3 years and a extra box on multiroom, over the past year the condition of the sky + box has detiorrated a lot, so much so that anything recored will not play back.
    Called sky many times and have done all the reformatting and it worked for a time. But in ther last few months its gotten steadily worse and it can't be fixed.

So called sky and they said if we wanted a new box we would have to pay full price as we have gone out of our warranty. Being a sky customer for almost 10 years now we were outraged.

Seeing only new customers getting these deals drives me up the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

cherrio wrote: »
    Sky is still a rip off here compared to the uk

Ireland: Basic package + SkySports = €52.00 / month
    Ireland: HD Pack = €14.75 / month

UK: Basic package + SkySports = £35.50 / month
    UK: HD Pack = £9.75 / month

So yearly cost of Sky Sports (with hd),

Ireland: €801
    UK: £543

When they update their pricing to match the exchange rate then I will signup.

You beat me to it! I am signed up years and now that exchange rates have tightened I think they really need to review it.

I suppose we will get the line "it's more expensive to do business in Ireland" - What...the satellite costs more to orbit 250 miles up over Ireland than it is does the UK:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

1huge1 wrote: »
    Have had sky + for 3 years and a extra box on multiroom, over the past year the condition of the sky + box has detiorrated a lot, so much so that anything recored will not play back.
    Called sky many times and have done all the reformatting and it worked for a time. But in ther last few months its gotten steadily worse and it can't be fixed.

So called sky and they said if we wanted a new box we would have to pay full price as we have gone out of our warranty. Being a sky customer for almost 10 years now we were outraged.

Seeing only new customers getting these deals drives me up the wall.

One word... "Cancel" - They will move quick to get you a new box then.

I have HD and multi room and the HD boxes are absolute pieces of crap! The picture is good etc but the HDD is cheap muck and cannot keep up with the action. I am on my 3rd one now in 6 months - the installer showed me the back of his van and pointed out that all the brown boxes are the refurbs waiting to be swapped in to customers like me... the whole van was full of them!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

finno wrote: »
    Well that is not true when they cut me off "my postal order got lost in the post" i had no channels at all

Then you didn't look very hard as some 200+ channels are not encrypted, are Free To Air and can be picked up by all Sky boxs per EU regulations.

You can find details here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055038749

You can see all the free channels you would get without subscription by following these instructions:

Go Sky News.
    Press Interactive.
    Wait till it loads
    Pull out card and DO NOT REINSERT ANYTHING.
    Press backup.
    Browse channels. This is what you have for free.

Reinsert your card to get the pay channels back.

Note, if you cancel your subscription, Sky+ recording won't work and the EPG will only be now and next rather then 7 days for the free channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

And what's more subscribers get to give Rupert Murdoch their money to continue materialistic crap programming, not to mention News Corp's lying about greed, war, pollution etc. Freeview is a much better way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

bk wrote: »

How does that work? Do you mean that if you cancel your subscription, you can still use the satellite dish and box to get the free channels? If that'sthe case I'll do it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stephenc_ie

one of the main problems with freesat is that you don't get RTE1, RTE2, TV3 or TG4 on it.

The only way to get them then is with rabbit ears, which is snowy.

The reason sky are having half price Sky+ is in advance of the Irish DVB-T deployment.

Wait 6 months, and then see what choice you have with freesat giving BBC&ITV and also DVB-T (also called Freeview) giving you RTE's etc.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

one of the main problems with freesat is that you don't get RTE1, RTE2, TV3 or TG4 on it.

The only way to get them then is with rabbit ears, which is snowy.

I had a roof aerial erected on my chimney and my reception of the four channels above is now excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stephenc_ie

joolsveer wrote: »
    I had a roof aerial erected on my chimney and my reception of the four channels above is now excellent.

I was going to go down that route, but figured I'd wait for DVB-T to be stuck on my friendly near-by mountain.

The digitial signal needs much less signal strength, so if I can get away without sticking VHF/UHF aerials on my chimney, I'd prefer to.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

One word... "Cancel" - They will move quick to get you a new box then.

I have HD and multi room and the HD boxes are absolute pieces of crap! The picture is good etc but the HDD is cheap muck and cannot keep up with the action. I am on my 3rd one now in 6 months - the installer showed me the back of his van and pointed out that all the brown boxes are the refurbs waiting to be swapped in to customers like me... the whole van was full of them!

Asking them to cancel your subscription does work.
    Whenever they try to charge me 100 quid for an engineer visit, I tell them to go ahead and cancel as "I'd get 6 months of UPC TV for that". They quickly change their minds :)

• Advertisement

Tester46 wrote: »
    How does that work? Do you mean that if you cancel your subscription, you can still use the satellite dish and box to get the free channels? If that'sthe case I'll do it in the morning.

Yes, that is it exactly.

Before cancelling, try the following instructions, they will show you what the experience is like when you cancel your subscription, try it for a few days before cancelling to see if you are happy with it:

Go Sky News.
    Press Interactive.
    Wait till it loads
    Pull out card and DO NOT REINSERT ANYTHING.
    Press backup.
    Browse channels. This is what you have for free.

Reinsert your card to get the pay channels back.

Note you will lose RTE,TV3 and TG4, they are unfortunately encrypted channels, however you can always use the aerial to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Yip - only for new customers. This pissed me off also. Got a flier in the door with big bold letters Sky + Box €24.50... Of course it only says for new customers on the other side in small letters!

Hate it when they put this crap in my letter box when I am an existing customer! (yea yea I know they just deliver to every house but that pisses me off too) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

If u've been a customer for a few years u can get onto the retention dept and talk to them. Don't waste your time with anyone else. It has to be them. Just tell them u want the deal for being loyal customer. Be polite and direct and u should get it. I did. happy out my sky+ box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Anybody know a 'normal' number you can call Sky on from Ireland? My phone company charges a bomb for 0818 numbers as they class them as non geographical.

Tks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Tester46 wrote: »

You wont even miss the channels you cant get after a week or 2.
    You can get PVRs for around €150 now. So you get sky+ functionality too.

Advertisement